Rant!! - Why they need so much information!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Cocoro, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Cocoro

Cocoro Read Only Funster

Sat in France and I wish to purchase some guides books and all I want to know is, if I buy one, can I download it directly as I won't get it for some weeks otherwise. I'm far too stupid to see if it's possible on the website. Soooo, I click on 'Contact Us'..........and there it is.........I have to complete my life's history and hand it over to them only to have a sales enquiry question answered! Ok, slight (massive??) exaggeration there but why oh why do I have to give my full name, address, company name, website, phone numbers etc etc in order to begin an enquiry that may lead to business for them? Ok, if I do buy something that has to be delivered I can then choose to hand over my address but why before??

This information grabbing at any opportunity drives me nuts!! But importantly for retailers loses my business every time. If I ever detect that a business has clearly oriented their service for the benefit of themselves rather than the pleasure of the customer........I leave.

I enjoy Pie's. I really enjoy eating pies. So in a restaurant if I see any kind of savoury pie on the menu I want it. But of course, I first have to ask the all important question. Is it really a 'Pie'? ....."yes of course sir, very popular it is"........Ok, is it a pie with pastry on the bottom and the top and baked in the oven as a complete pie.......orrrr.......is it a pie in an individual, white-hot bowl with a slice of puff pastry laid on top prior to serving????.........."yes thats correct sir, exactly that, a Pie......" You see, maybe it's just me, but thats not a 'Pie', thats a convenient way of serving up a stew or casserole which masquerades as a pie. There's a large pot of casserole or stew, whichever you want to call it, sitting chilled in the fridge from which a bowl is filled, a slice of frozen pastry popped on top and thrown into a nuclear charged oven. A pie is made as a pie, in a bowl, dish, tray, plate or otherwise. Ok, the filling is often made before hand but it all melds together in the oven to produce a proper pie. Am I going on too much here?? Damned convenient for the restaurant but it means I have to eat something else while I dream of a real pie. Is it just me??? Please, tell me it isn't.

.........and while I'm at it........is there a central european training centre that teaches staff at checkout's to firmly hold onto your credit card while they wait for the stream of paper to print out so they can then bundle it all together and hand it to you in a package which is then a handful to sort out, extract your card, put in your wallet, put the receipts somewhere else and then clear orf! I want my card now!!! so I can put it in my wallet then the wallet can be slipped in my pocket so my hands are free to take the destroyed rainforest of paper complete with luminous printed marketing, throw it in the shopping bag or packet and leave. I've reached a few times for my card in advance only to watch in disbelief as their hand pulls away, darting this way and that to ensure they complete their stupid task of frustrating the *+"!!! out of me!!!! What a completely pointless exercise?!?!?!!?

Anyway, said website will not get my business as if they can't simply put an email so I can ask them a simple question or a form that doesn't require me to "COMPLETE ALL BOXES WITH AN OFFICIOUS ASTERIX"! If I walk into a shop they don't ask me for my personal details before they answer a sales question do they!

Of course this does mean I don't get the guide book doesn't it. Really wanted that guide too. Principals! Huh!!

• Like Like x 24
  2. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Are we related?

• Like Like x 7
  3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You need a holiday:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Nice ammusing post:thumb: then i looked at your info, it said you were a professional Ruminator.:Eeek:
    I thought to my self Ill look that up
    Then I thought no! Ill stew on it a while and mull it over,
    Ill let yopu know if I do:thumb:
    Geo

• Like Like x 1
  5. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Are you from Lancashire??

Only I have friends that are that passionate about the Pie situation, and they all are Lancashire People. Mention pies, and off they go! Got to have sides and a bottom, if I wanted a casserole I would ask for it etc.

You would get on like a house on fire.

Most websites demand info to know who you are, more as security and also for judging their market. Some require you to register first, some contact forms require quite a bit of info as the more you have, the less likely you are to get spam enquiries.

It also aids the enquiry should their be a mispelt e-mail address or other error than would pevent further action. To give an eample of this, I had a chap leave a garbled voicemail message and I could not clearly get his contact details - if he had filled in a form, I could have emailed him for his number. Instead their was nothing I could do - meaning he thinks we couldn't be bothered, whilst we were hoping he would call back.

Some will sell you info on, so do look at their terms first. On ours we have a privacy policy where details go no further. Not many are like this, so do read the terms first.

Had a lovely pie lid casserole last week........:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Excellent Rant :thumb: Not seen one this good that I agree with in full for ages.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Cocoro

Cocoro Read Only Funster

Manchester to be precise so near enough. My cover is blown!

Don't really agree about the required security info though. If there is an email address and I send an email they have my email to reply to. Simples. I don't mind giving out my mobile number as if a retailer is prepared to call me then great! If I get their email wrong I receive an undelivered return email telling me so which happens occasionally so I check it, find my mistake and send it again. There is so much personal data grabbing on the web that really, no one can convince me that to make a simple enquiry I have to give my full address and telephone number. It's just not on.

It's strange isn't, that nowadays a lot and I mean a lot of retailers online are not prepared to give a contact number to the customer but THEY want all our info completed on a form! I fully understand about keeping costs down, so no staff to pay to answer phones helps with this. But really, call me a cynic if you want but nowadays I feel like little more than a sheep being corralled down a path whereupon a computer detects any and all of my 'buying signals' in order to plant an order upon me. Yeah, exaggerating again, but perception is reality to the individual.

Off to buy some cheese in a real shop with hopefully a real person. And if the cheese is really, really good, I may give her my address and telephone number.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ShiftZZ

Well said that man, I can’t agree more…

Tell you what else is annoying, poor computer programming / web design.

Let me give you some examples:

a) Menu options that you can’t access because the options close when you move the curson 1/200000th of a mm.
    b) Enter DOB, day is fine, month ok (besides the Yanks who do insist on the month being 1st) and then you have the year. They have 2013 at the top of the scroll down options, how many kids do you know who were born in 2013 and can use a computer? Then at the button of the year options you have 1900’s, that would make the person potentially 113 years old and wants to use a PC.
    c) Then is country of residence,,, Yep, top of the list USA, there are other countries besides the bloody USA, or, could it be that they are not intelligent enough to scroll down?
    d) e-mail addresses, that bugs me, and so I put in any old crap, as long as it’s in the right format it will work eg. ShiftZZ@homeandhavingabeerandcurry.com.
    e) Same with companies on the phone, “ Can I have your home and mobile number?” NO. "Well we need it!". No you don’t, end of story.
    f) Lastly, they ask for your name , hmmmm Shift ZZ, can I call you Shift? No.
    They appear to forget that when you get older the grumpy gene kicks in and it can become very aggressive when you get a call from and Indian Call centre and anyone from Hull.

And then there is PC World. try buying the cheapest mouse (under £5.00) and they will ask you if you would like extended warranty. NO, its a bleeding £5..

• Like Like x 5
  9. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

At what age does all this anger and ranting come on I must be close at 58

10. ShiftZZ

27 and 4 months 5 days 4 hrs. was my 'conversion.

11. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

That just about 3 years after I got married :Rofl1::Rofl1::cry:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cocoro

Cocoro Read Only Funster

Blighted at birth I'm afraid!!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

A quick tip for C)... Press the letter U on your keyboard until UK comes up. Usually either 2nd option or straight after United Arab Emirates. Saves you scrolling through the list and squinting to see what they all say.

Yet another reason why I refuse point blank to shop at PC World.

Kicked in for me around the age of 27, getting worse as I get older.:Rofl1: I was first accused of being a Victor Meldrew in my early 30's.

14. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Kicked in for me around the age of 27, getting worse as I get older. I was first accused of being a Victor Meldrew in my early 30's.

More of a basil faulty myself according to certain family members

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You were separated at birth, they thought two ugly stroppy babies would finish your poor mother off so sold one to a passing Lithuanian goat cheese salesman in the belief the two would never pair up again.

However, The Horned One, had other plans and the Lithuanian goat cheese salesman had a heart attack before he left the country and your twin was taken into care by the Sally Army, the branch near Portsmouth docks, you know, the one that mysteriously burned down on Christmas Day with the only survivor one small ugly baby who was taken in by a blind couple from Rutting In The Hay, Oxon.

Now The Dark Lord's plan is complete, the two are paired again and we are all doomed, Doomed I tell yea.

• Like Like x 4
  16. ShiftZZ

Thanks Dad, Old men and PC's a disaster waiting to happen,,,

Yes, the nurse will be along soon, yes, enima and Vimto...

Funsters , sorry about me dad, fantasy world of Burstners, Mtorcycles and home made fudge.

17. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Regarding the OP:

What a class rant!!
    A joy to read.
    Worthy of the ShiftZZ's annual Moaning Git award.:Wink:

What you describe as a restaurant "pie" is not a pie, it's a LIE!!
    Maybe there is something about us Lancashire folk and pies, comes from the cotton mills in days gone by.
    We are as passionate about our pies as the Welsh are about their [HI]occasional [/HI]upward blips in rugby.
    Mentioning the wrong make of pie in the wrong town can lead to a whole lot of heartache.
    Manchester....let me think....Holland's meat and potato man??:thumb:

Just to get in a pre-emptive strike, don't listen to our Welsh colonial cousins if they go on about Clark's pies...they are shite.:thumbdown:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  18. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Ginsters now rule the world still crap though Cornwall's biggest export
    Fray bentos for ever

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Though not that keen on pies, I can relate to the business with the card.

I always take the card, leaving them holding all the paper, then slowly put it back in my wallet and put the wallet in my pocket. Only then do I relieve them of the paper, screw it up as small as possible and chuck it in the bag.
    It doesn't stop them doing exactly the same thing next time but makes me feel better.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Own up !!!

How many people actually tried it...just in case !!! I did for one !!!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: