Rant: Dog Rescue Centres (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Seriously p'd off with so called rescue centres.
First off we were let down by UK GSD Rescue. We applied to adopt a dog, had home-check, waited and waited, only to be told that the dog we wanted was going to someone else. They promised to phone and go through the paperwork and get back to us. That was in March, we're still waiting.:Angry:
We then saw a dog on FB needing donations to pay for vet bills etc to mend its two broken legs and ulcerated eye. Fell in love and applied to adopt it, as we know all about knackered legs (our Bandit has 4 knackered legs). Filled in adoption form, have since asked 3 times if we can see the dog when we go to Yorkshire in a few weeks time. Eventually got a reply, which essentially said no as dog still needs rehab. :cry:

I also know a man that was turned down by an Irish Setter rescue centre because he already had dogs, 2 of which had come from said centre. :Doh:
A vet was refused a dog because she would be at work all day. She tried telling them that the dog would be with her at work. :Doh:

We are now eagerly awaiting the arrival, in this country, of a Romanian reject.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Phone the RSPCA... and ask them if they know of a GSD... that the owner cannot look after, for what ever reason..:Sad:

Bet they know of a few... :thumb:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Battersea dogs home?? Paul O'Grady??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We're a bit far away up here on the Border but my pal helps run Second Chances, a Scottish GSD rescue unit and he has loads of problems offering to foster or rehome GSD's that are in non specific rescue centres. You'd hope that they would all have the animal's best interest at heart.
On another note, we by chance bumped into a couple in a PVC at Pooley Bridge who had a Romanian rescue dog, lovely thing, I think they were from Derbyshire and had got the dog from a specific web based rescue centre.
Best of luck anyway.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Hi Dawn

If you fancy a terrier there are lots available at Terrier SOS who rescue dogs from Spain. You will find them on Facebook

Kath

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Not quite a cute and cuddly as the TV programme portrays. Nothing wrong with Paul O'Grady but many of these large rescue centres have a kill policy after a certain number of days. That is a generalisation.

The smaller ones such as www.sesaw.co.uk (unashamed plug......) won't euthanise a healthy dog and also take dogs that are on death row from the bigger centres.

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes

We got Bandit from Battersea, we were there 8 hours and they wouldn't let us have any of the first 4 dogs on our list. Poor Bandit was a default dog, and I really do believe, that had she come with instructions, she'd still be there.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
you'd think that with so many dogs (thousands) in rescue centres across the country needing loving homes, that they'd be falling over themselves to rehome to genuine people..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
absolute madness, virtually all down to politics and funding. I was told the other day about a dog thats been in rescue 9 months. in that time the rescue have had several offers of good homes but as the dog needs ongoing vet care they are keeping him in as a money raiser. basically asking for donations towards his care on facebook and elsewhere towards his costs. the money coming in seems to exceed his costs so they are actually making money from his campaign to use on other dogs

it really makes me angry that the dogs dont come first in these supposed rescue centre's thinking. to me a good home was always grabbed with welcome hands as they are what we needed. A success story was any dog that spent less than 7 days in kennels or better still an empty kennel leaving space to help another needy dog.

Personally I have issues with adopting from abroad for a number of reasons including potential for bringing in new strains of diseases and the number in need already here. however i recognise that you felt the need following being messed about by uk rescues. i hope you have many happy years together:thumb:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Someone I know rescued a Saudi Arabian Desert Dog during his time overseas and it came back with him when his posting ended.
Apparently the family it was rescued from were set to have it for dinner but Brian managed to convince them to swap it for a turkey....:Sad:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
absolute madness, virtually all down to politics and funding. I was told the other day about a dog thats been in rescue 9 months. in that time the rescue have had several offers of good homes but as the dog needs ongoing vet care they are keeping him in as a money raiser. basically asking for donations towards his care on facebook and elsewhere towards his costs. the money coming in seems to exceed his costs so they are actually making money from his campaign to use on other dogs

it really makes me angry that the dogs dont come first in these supposed rescue centre's thinking. to me a good home was always grabbed with welcome hands as they are what we needed. A success story was any dog that spent less than 7 days in kennels or better still an empty kennel leaving space to help another needy dog.

Personally I have issues with adopting from abroad for a number of reasons including potential for bringing in new strains of diseases and the number in need already here. however i recognise that you felt the need following being messed about by uk rescues. i hope you have many happy years together:thumb:

This is why I now only give donations to local charities where I can see my money doing good.
As charities grow their prime cause becomes the well being of the charity and it's officers rather than the cause for which it was started.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
went to Samoyed rescue.for our first rescue dog.when we went back to them for our second dog.they said no go away it is to close to xmas.and they were not toys.i tried to explain that we had one before from them.but they just hung up.:Eeek::Blush:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
[HI]This is why I now only give donations to local charities where I can see my money doing good.
As charities grow their prime cause becomes the well being of the charity and it's officers rather than the cause for which it was started
[/HI].

SAYS IT ALL REALLY:cry:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
When we were looking to re home a Springer Spaniel we contacted a few re homing / dogs homes. We soon found out that the dogs that are advertised are not available. I think they are there to lure you in, they then offer alternative dogs.
We only wanted a dog not a bitch and under 2 years old. We had a home visit and discussed are requirements. A week later a phone call offering nothing like we wanted.
Bluecross advertised a dog they did not have.
I think the RSPCA are the worst.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Have given up and gone for a Romanian reject

Hi Dawn

Please be very careful as there is a major scam going on with dogs from Romania and Eastern European countries which appear to be in rescue but the person running the alleged rescue service does not hand over the dog even when good money has been paid.

Kath

OP
OP
Dawn B
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Hi Dawn

Please be very careful as there is a major scam going on with dogs from Romania and Eastern European countries which appear to be in rescue but the person running the alleged rescue service does not hand over the dog even when good money has been paid.

Kath
Thanks for your concern, but I personally know the people that run the charity.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Thanks for your concern, but I personally know the people that run the charity.

No problem, that's ok and hopefully you will be sorted out soon with your new dog.

Kath

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We tried to adopt a dog from the RSPCA we've had dogs before (overseas) from them, Yeh! Home Visit!:thumb: Six foot fence all round,:thumb: Both retired:thumb: Home all day:thumb:

But! spect I'd upset the mini Dragon by answering back to her Bullshit, so they had to go at looking at our application again!

Told em to shove it!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We got Blue our dalmation from the North East Dalmation Rescue Centre 8 years ago, we phoned when we saw his picture on their web site, faxed a letter from our vets that we were suitable "parents" and went to pick him up the following day. He has turned out to be a super dog, loves people if not always other dogs and rubs along very nicely with out other rescue springer spaniel. Would'nt be without them both. Do hope all turns out well for you. :Smile:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
some years ago,i was after a springer spaniel, a guy put me i touch with a woman that run a rescue centre,so off i goes to see her and a dog that had been rescued,decided to have the dog and asked her what she wanted?she said that she was trying to raise money for a new kennel block and would leave it to me to decide what i would pay,i gave it a little thought and decided as i was a builder i would build her a new kennel block and got a builders merchant to donate the materials,took a week off payed work and cohersed my mate in with me and built her a spanking new kennel block,total cost to her ,nothing,just a dog,but that dog ended up one of the best working dogs i ever owned :thumb:

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
Broken Link Removed

this is a good rescue centre, we have made many donations to them in the past and will do so in the future too. Not just money but blankets towels toys food etc

Oct 26, 2010
Funster No
MH
Pilote reference 670
Exp
20 years
If you are travelling to Europe consider adopting an European dog. We brought a Portugeuse dog home with us. We visited the kennels on Saturday and took the dog away . we went back on Monday to get the papers after a weekend getting to know the dog. Dog and papers including Pet Passport was 30 Euros . We did donate more. We were in Portugal for 6 weeks with dog before we came home. Kennels in Portugal Bianca very helpful

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back