Rant: Dog Rescue Centres

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Dawn B, May 13, 2014.

1. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Seriously p'd off with so called rescue centres.
    First off we were let down by UK GSD Rescue. We applied to adopt a dog, had home-check, waited and waited, only to be told that the dog we wanted was going to someone else. They promised to phone and go through the paperwork and get back to us. That was in March, we're still waiting.:Angry:
    We then saw a dog on FB needing donations to pay for vet bills etc to mend its two broken legs and ulcerated eye. Fell in love and applied to adopt it, as we know all about knackered legs (our Bandit has 4 knackered legs). Filled in adoption form, have since asked 3 times if we can see the dog when we go to Yorkshire in a few weeks time. Eventually got a reply, which essentially said no as dog still needs rehab. :cry:

I also know a man that was turned down by an Irish Setter rescue centre because he already had dogs, 2 of which had come from said centre. :Doh:
    A vet was refused a dog because she would be at work all day. She tried telling them that the dog would be with her at work. :Doh:

We are now eagerly awaiting the arrival, in this country, of a Romanian reject.

• Like Like x 4
  2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Phone the RSPCA... and ask them if they know of a GSD... that the owner cannot look after, for what ever reason..:Sad:

Bet they know of a few... :thumb:

3. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Battersea dogs home?? Paul O'Grady??

4. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

We're a bit far away up here on the Border but my pal helps run Second Chances, a Scottish GSD rescue unit and he has loads of problems offering to foster or rehome GSD's that are in non specific rescue centres. You'd hope that they would all have the animal's best interest at heart.
    On another note, we by chance bumped into a couple in a PVC at Pooley Bridge who had a Romanian rescue dog, lovely thing, I think they were from Derbyshire and had got the dog from a specific web based rescue centre.
    Best of luck anyway.

5. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

Hi Dawn

If you fancy a terrier there are lots available at Terrier SOS who rescue dogs from Spain. You will find them on Facebook

Kath

6. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Not quite a cute and cuddly as the TV programme portrays. Nothing wrong with Paul O'Grady but many of these large rescue centres have a kill policy after a certain number of days. That is a generalisation.

The smaller ones such as www.sesaw.co.uk (unashamed plug......) won't euthanise a healthy dog and also take dogs that are on death row from the bigger centres.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

We got Bandit from Battersea, we were there 8 hours and they wouldn't let us have any of the first 4 dogs on our list. Poor Bandit was a default dog, and I really do believe, that had she come with instructions, she'd still be there.

8. dryad

dryad Funster

you'd think that with so many dogs (thousands) in rescue centres across the country needing loving homes, that they'd be falling over themselves to rehome to genuine people..

• Like Like x 4
  9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

absolute madness, virtually all down to politics and funding. I was told the other day about a dog thats been in rescue 9 months. in that time the rescue have had several offers of good homes but as the dog needs ongoing vet care they are keeping him in as a money raiser. basically asking for donations towards his care on facebook and elsewhere towards his costs. the money coming in seems to exceed his costs so they are actually making money from his campaign to use on other dogs

it really makes me angry that the dogs dont come first in these supposed rescue centre's thinking. to me a good home was always grabbed with welcome hands as they are what we needed. A success story was any dog that spent less than 7 days in kennels or better still an empty kennel leaving space to help another needy dog.

Personally I have issues with adopting from abroad for a number of reasons including potential for bringing in new strains of diseases and the number in need already here. however i recognise that you felt the need following being messed about by uk rescues. i hope you have many happy years together:thumb:

10. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Someone I know rescued a Saudi Arabian Desert Dog during his time overseas and it came back with him when his posting ended.
    Apparently the family it was rescued from were set to have it for dinner but Brian managed to convince them to swap it for a turkey....:Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

12. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

This is why I now only give donations to local charities where I can see my money doing good.
    As charities grow their prime cause becomes the well being of the charity and it's officers rather than the cause for which it was started.

• Like Like x 6
  13. poki

poki Funster

Have sent you a PM Dawn B :thumb:

14. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

went to Samoyed rescue.for our first rescue dog.when we went back to them for our second dog.they said no go away it is to close to xmas.and they were not toys.i tried to explain that we had one before from them.but they just hung up.:Eeek::Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  15. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

SAYS IT ALL REALLY:cry:

• Like Like x 1
  16. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Battersea Dogs home or the Dogs Trust xxxx

Good luck xxxx

17. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Have given up and gone for a Romanian reject

• Like Like x 2
  18. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

When we were looking to re home a Springer Spaniel we contacted a few re homing / dogs homes. We soon found out that the dogs that are advertised are not available. I think they are there to lure you in, they then offer alternative dogs.
    We only wanted a dog not a bitch and under 2 years old. We had a home visit and discussed are requirements. A week later a phone call offering nothing like we wanted.
    Bluecross advertised a dog they did not have.
    I think the RSPCA are the worst.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

Hi Dawn

Please be very careful as there is a major scam going on with dogs from Romania and Eastern European countries which appear to be in rescue but the person running the alleged rescue service does not hand over the dog even when good money has been paid.

Kath

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Thanks for your concern, but I personally know the people that run the charity.