Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
However Terry, the whole point is that Maz should not have to do this. :Smile:

Just like the rest of us, shouldn't have to do anything. But the industry doesn't agree.

::bigsmile: I had better not win the lottery and buy a new van :Smile: it would end up in the dealer's showroom window and me in jail :Smile:
Terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
all you need terry is a proper conversion . stop playing with them little ones .hee hee:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
IF I remember right big IF :Smile:If you cannot get to stuff the FF from the vents then try stuffing it from the front and shoving it in with a stick :thumb:--make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your van the Frifge should be sealed completely -read fitting instructions-the oven does not need to be airtight
terry

Terry - I have read the fitting instructions many times (many more than Hobby seem to have done!). If I could find them online I would post them here, but despite searching the Dometic downloads page I can't find them for my model: RMT 7651.

No, the oven doesn't itself need to be airtight because it vents into the van anyway. But the back of the Tec-Tower unit needs to be sealed to stop the fridge exhaust fumes making their way into the van by that same route.

The Dometic instructions actually state: In no case, use sealing material or foam, in order to build in the fridge draught-free.

Why on earth should motorhome manufacturers be allowed to get away with installing these Tec-Towers in an unsafe manner?!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
all you need terry is a proper conversion . stop playing with them little ones .hee hee:thumb:

That's part of the magic converting a little un and getting the comfort of a big un :winky:
terry

Aaronn

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Bailey 760
Exp
Hi all I do agree with the original post. For the money we/I spend on these motorhomes I would have expected them to be of better quality. Dont get me wrong but when spending nearly 50k I would have hoped that more care and "respect" was taken.im happy with my purchase and only hoping all motorhomes are full of rattles. :)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all I do agree with the original post. For the money we/I spend on these motorhomes I would have expected them to be of better quality. Dont get me wrong but when spending nearly 50k I would have hoped that more care and "respect" was taken.im happy with my purchase and only hoping all motorhomes are full of rattles. :)

Hi Aaronn, self build = rattle free :winky: or screw the bugger down ::bigsmile:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi terry i converted the artic but have a 30 yr old tear drop here . have had it for about 23 years .tow it behind my bongo. actually used to tow behind a trike .them a t2 .here it is .look carefully you can see it on the way down that lovely smooth road . dont get too many like that in uk. ha ha .
it survived only had to repair the chassis a few times .

Attachments

• img027.jpg
    img027.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 49
  • img042.jpg
    img042.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 43

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Like the teardrop Alan:thumb: bet that was comfy compared to a tent and the back of the V dub
Terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my lad was using it . we were away 9 months that year . i blamed him for the cgassis breaking . had to un hitch it he kept jumping around all night with young ladies . dont know whay he was doing .
but yes as to a tent it was a luxury caravan.
mind we used a roof tent alot of the time . still do on the bongo.
silliest part is the bongo pulling the teardrop is only two foot shorter than the artic outfit .

Attachments

• img026.jpg
    img026.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Bongo tripsept 09 015.jpg
    Bongo tripsept 09 015.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Bongo tripsept 09 003.jpg
    Bongo tripsept 09 003.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 31

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Destructive testing

I have just been looking at a Austin 7 , everything on it was over engineered because that was all the knowlage and materials at the time would allow.
It is still here and driving around :thumb:

Now with clever computer controlled machines and modern plastic and clever carbon fibre materials everything is cut/shaved all to cut costs ,weight .

What the factory needs is a heavyweight couple of campers to test out these motorhomes.
Two 25 stone big campers bashing around inside a MH ,sitting on the loo,leaning on plastic walls ,using the seats ect for a week.:Eeek:
Then return it to the factory so they can see what the real world can do :thumb:

We were talking to a Roller team dealer who started his "retirement" business hiring out British vans. He said they came back, week in week out, with broken bits. He started to use the roller team vans and all his problems with bad finish are a thing of the past. Clients included guys going to Poland for the last euro football and the van came back in as new.

Presumably somewhere along the line the company does what you suggest.

Reminds me of when I worked for BSI and saw the machine they used to test windscreens. Hit them with a bloody great hammer.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
So after walking around the Narrowboat Show and chatting to some of the marine engineers and boat builders I'm amazed at just how much work and skill goes into the making of a narrowboat, from scratch, to a customers requirements:thumb:

It starts off with a blank design sheet and an open mind, then from a roll of steel they make the hull to a thickness of 10mm, then 6mm steel for the upper section and finally 4mm for the roof and when your looking at a 60 foot boat, that's a lot of steel. Then the entire wiring harness is made up and fitted to your requirements, before the boat is then sealed with spray foam to approx 45mm thickness. Then the inside is lined with a mixture of hard wood and ceramic tiles, again depending on the customers requirements. Windows are fitted to your choice too. The woods usual American Oak for hard wear and long life. Then they ask to what extent you'll use the boat, will it be casual cruising or full time live aboard as that'll result in the choice of engines, gearboxes, how many batteries you want, a charger and converter system, the kitchen including a granite work top that'll also match the bathroom, the full cooker, fridge, washing machine and in most cases the dish washer. A wood burning stove sits neatly in the corner, along with full water circulated central heating. The bathroom will have a full size shower, pump out toilet, sink and lots of storage space and the bedrooms will have full size beds. The other bits and bobs are endless, with the prop, ropes, cupboards, wardrobes etc etc etc and all this for £72K and your involved throughout the entire build process. The price can go up if you wish to increase the spec further, but at around £85K it'll be top notch:thumb:

Now I'm picturing Autotrail (I mention them cos it's what I've got) and the phone call to them stating that you want them to build the motorhome to your spec and on your chassis choice, and it must include all the parts you want and wish for, dictate to them where they'll be fitted and what type of wood and finish you require. Fine chance:Sad:

Instead they bring in a cab that's built on a production line, a chassis also built the same way and they simply fit the living quarters on top, which will have also been assembled on a production line and then charge us the earth for the privilege. Wouldn't it be nice if these large firms offered such a service and prided themselves on the fit and finish, then we could say value for money:whatthe:

Oh and yes yes yes, self build self build self build, but that not what I'm getting at:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there are companies out there that do build like that .
not so many here in uk . but look further a field its happening .
but there is some in uk .

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I did 118 miles in my van today and all that went wrong was a screw coming out of the sliding door trim and a few others coming loose and the roof vent winding handle fell off onto the floor :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
So after walking around the Narrowboat Show and chatting to some of the marine engineers and boat builders I'm amazed at just how much work and skill goes into the making of a narrowboat, from scratch, to a customers requirements:thumb:

It starts off with a blank design sheet and an open mind, then from a roll of steel they make the hull to a thickness of 10mm, then 6mm steel for the upper section and finally 4mm for the roof and when your looking at a 60 foot boat, that's a lot of steel. Then the entire wiring harness is made up and fitted to your requirements, before the boat is then sealed with spray foam to approx 45mm thickness. Then the inside is lined with a mixture of hard wood and ceramic tiles, again depending on the customers requirements. Windows are fitted to your choice too. The woods usual American Oak for hard wear and long life. Then they ask to what extent you'll use the boat, will it be casual cruising or full time live aboard as that'll result in the choice of engines, gearboxes, how many batteries you want, a charger and converter system, the kitchen including a granite work top that'll also match the bathroom, the full cooker, fridge, washing machine and in most cases the dish washer. A wood burning stove sits neatly in the corner, along with full water circulated central heating. The bathroom will have a full size shower, pump out toilet, sink and lots of storage space and the bedrooms will have full size beds. The other bits and bobs are endless, with the prop, ropes, cupboards, wardrobes etc etc etc and all this for £72K and your involved throughout the entire build process. The price can go up if you wish to increase the spec further, but at around £85K it'll be top notch:thumb:

Now I'm picturing Autotrail (I mention them cos it's what I've got) and the phone call to them stating that you want them to build the motorhome to your spec and on your chassis choice, and it must include all the parts you want and wish for, dictate to them where they'll be fitted and what type of wood and finish you require. Fine chance:Sad:

Instead they bring in a cab that's built on a production line, a chassis also built the same way and they simply fit the living quarters on top, which will have also been assembled on a production line and then charge us the earth for the privilege. Wouldn't it be nice if these large firms offered such a service and prided themselves on the fit and finish, then we could say value for money:whatthe:

Oh and yes yes yes, self build self build self build, but that not what I'm getting at:thumb:

As vwalan so rightly points out, there are companies that build to customer order. RMB are one of them. They do not build a van and then try to find a customer for it. The customer goes to them and orders the van with the layout and finishes that they want, from soft furnishings to type of wood finish. I understand what you say regarding boat builders though, there is a lot more work in building a boat than a motorhome and pound per foot you do seem to get much more for your money with a boat compared to a motorhome.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I hope you have read my thread titled Auto-Trail woes.
We were away thus weekend and so I now have things to add to the "fix it" list.
Kitchen cupboard door fell off as we were travelling, toilet cupboard door has come adrift from it's hinges and worst of all. The bed has started to fall apart.
I will be resurecting the thread with new updates very shortly.

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I did 118 miles in my van today and all that went wrong was a screw coming out of the sliding door trim and a few others coming loose and the roof vent winding handle fell off onto the floor :thumb:

I'm not sure if your having a good old kid on, but are we ok to say that we did 118 miles and ALL that went wrong, surely nothing should have gone wrong:Eeek:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I hope you have read my thread titled Auto-Trail woes.
We were away thus weekend and so I now have things to add to the "fix it" list.
Kitchen cupboard door fell off as we were travelling, toilet cupboard door has come adrift from it's hinges and worst of all. The bed has started to fall apart.
I will be resurecting the thread with new updates very shortly.

Is your kitchen cupboard door fitted with a double spice rack on the back? Ours is but I've now removed it as it caused the screwholes on cupboard side to become oversize, right pain on such a new van, screws are not very substantial and it would be better if hinge had a 4 hole lug.

My fix was to drill the holes out slightly deeper to suit smallest plastic rawl plugs I had in the shed, these I cut to length to suit hole and araldited them in place, so far so good:thumb:

Mentioned this to my dealer and they are aware of problem apparently. Shame manufacturers are not required to call in and repair/modify what is something obviously not fit for purpose.:Angry:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Beeny , the guy that invented "Beeny 2Boxes" will do a bespoke conversion for you,.

Last I heard(3 years ago) give him a van, and 12k and he'll give you what YOU want, the word is, he'll only convert X amount per year, and like Morgan Cars he's booked up years ahead

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I'm not sure if your having a good old kid on, but are we ok to say that we did 118 miles and ALL that went wrong, surely nothing should have gone wrong:Eeek:

Nothing should have gone wrong, but it did :whatthe:
Yeah I was having a bit of a joke about it all, if you don't make light of your motorhome falling apart you might as well give the hobby up because it will drive you mad.
But its still a good piece of kit, does the job

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Is your kitchen cupboard door fitted with a double spice rack on the back? Ours is but I've now removed it as it caused the screwholes on cupboard side to become oversize, right pain on such a new van, screws are not very substantial and it would be better if hinge had a 4 hole lug.

My fix was to drill the holes out slightly deeper to suit smallest plastic rawl plugs I had in the shed, these I cut to length to suit hole and araldited them in place, so far so good:thumb:

Mentioned this to my dealer and they are aware of problem apparently. Shame manufacturers are not required to call in and repair/modify what is something obviously not fit for purpose.:Angry:

Mine is the curved kitchen door that wraps around the shape of the sink, so when open it gives quite a lot of access to the large storage cupboard.
Unfortunately, Auto-Trail have seen fit to use screws that are only half the size that they should be for the weight of the door, resulting in it pulling past the inadequate locking mechanism and swinging open whilst we were travelling. The swing open and sudden stop when it reached the end of it's travel pulled the screws out at the hinges. Yes, it was locked before we started our journey, which I am sure will be asked by Auto-Trail.
It is not the only door to be afflicted with small screws as most of the others have worked loose at some point, but have been caught before a disaster has occured.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Nothing should have gone wrong, but it did :whatthe:
Yeah I was having a bit of a joke about it all, if you don't make light of your motorhome falling apart you might as well give the hobby up because it will drive you mad.
But its still a good piece of kit, does the job

I am seriously thinking of selling it and giving up because it is doing my head in.
I don't spend time screwing my car back together after every trip, and it didn't cost anywhere near what the MH did. The money manufacturers expect you to lay out for your "hobby" and the shoddy goods/aftersales don't equate somehow.
I could have loads of flash holidays where all I have to do is turn up and someone will look after me, for the amount I paid for a wheeled shed. :Angry:

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
well i have just read all the threads and i am very very pleased that i own a 1995 Hymer B 534 , its built like a tank, nothing falls off, bullet proof engine and should be still running for years to come .

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
All motorhomes are shoddy!

It's the industry standard!!!

If you want a well made van, find £150k and spend it on a Concorde or Niesmann + Bischoff!:roflmto:

You'd like to think wouldn't you :secret:

I have seen good and bad in all makes and models to be honest.

Eddie

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I am seriously thinking of selling it and giving up because it is doing my head in.
I don't spend time screwing my car back together after every trip, and it didn't cost anywhere near what the MH did. The money manufacturers expect you to lay out for your "hobby" and the shoddy goods/aftersales don't equate somehow.
I could have loads of flash holidays where all I have to do is turn up and someone will look after me, for the amount I paid for a wheeled shed. :Angry:
It's the dealers and their sales teams that go on the flash holidays we're just suckers for accepting the poor quality build standards. I have to agree that Hymers are built far better than any British motorhome even the bog standard ones are better.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Have purchased from Alan Kerr, excellent after sales. BUSBY.

Also in an older Autosleeper you had a good build Quality originally

although even modern Autosleepers suffer from Crap Workmanship
which is why we keep our Old but Goodie.(1996)

Have been tempted to change but wont bother now ::bigsmile:

Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Dare I say that my 05 chieftain has so far been ok nothing has fallen off and everything is working fine, I do use it on a weekly basis as well.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back