Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi all..Just got back from Spain today via Twin lakes :) to be greeted by ransomware on our PC:(
Not sure how it got there as Mrs Mental denies all knowledge of opening or installing anything, but from what I have read this stuff don't appear on its own...Does anyone have an idea how to get rid please:coffee:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you've got one of the nasty ones then I believe you are stuffed. Hopefully someone here might have a more promising suggestion but can you give any more details? Such as any names.

Of course your backups will be invaluable. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
See Broken Link Removedof mine in response to a similar question last week.

Hopefully, things like malwarebytes might work, but as I mentioned earlier some of these are really nasty and short of paying the money, which is by no means guaranteed to work, your pc becomes a large paperweight.

There is background here - click on the + symbols for more info. http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/mmpc/shared/ransomware.aspx

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks all! it seems to be only on Chrome? as typing this in Explorer. Have tried malewarebytes - no luck. spybots etc...and Kaspersky my virus thingy all bloomin s useless:coffee:

trying adwecleaner now.....I can see how some panic and pay up! as it is a bit alarming:sick:

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks all! it seems to be only on Chrome? as typing this in Explorer. Have tried malewarebytes - no luck. spybots etc...and Kaspersky my virus thing all so uesless..

this is what I get: plus loads of "how to become a millionaire!"adds
ransomware .jpg

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
RogueKiller is running now...

I don't trust any of these "free" resourses..make me very nervous indeed! You don't know what your installing along with them:(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
At first sight it doesn't look like the classic ransomware, which would ask up front for payment to unlock your files.

Can you see and access your files, images, Word docs or whatever? If you can this is just some spoof stuff that should be removable. "Proper" ransomware will encrypt all your files and possibly destroy backups such as .bak files. Removing the malware does not get you access to your files.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I think that it is a good idea to format a computer every 12/18 months to get rid of built up crap, this would be an ideal time. Saves all the messing about.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It may not be real ransom malware but it is a timely reminder for those that have not backed up their PCs recently. A portable hard disk drive has saved my hide a few times and I also back up onto Dropbox, Google drive and memory sticks.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think that it is a good idea to format a computer every 12/18 months to get rid of built up crap, this would be an ideal time. Saves all the messing about.

that's means clearing of everything? I appreciate what you say, but would rather get someone to do it for me as a non techy:(

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Ps. The telephone number in your message is for the Lenovo helpline. What make is your PC?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Try Spybot Search and Destroy as well as Malwarebytes, these are free programmes that many on Fun use with no problems unlike, as said already, some of these "freebies" that then charge you when they've found something.

Have you looked in Control Panel for any new or strange programmes that you don't recognise?
Revo is harmless and if installed it will open all programmes in a Control Panel like display. Right clicking, I think, will give you options to not only delete but to google search for info which will tell you if it's something that you don't want or need.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
nothing works :(

I have someone who could sort this but his packing as going to the States so hasn't time...a near neighbour might be able to help if I can get hold of him...

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Can you copy all of the files that you want to keep onto an external storage device?

Also, do you have an anti virus programme?

Adrian & Alison

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Exp
5ys in Europe
This will sort it .. Broken Link Removed scan first then repair .... we are seeing a lot of this at the moment :sneaky: .. (through my shop www.crcsurrey.co.uk )

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
1. Relax its not 'ransom-ware but adware.
2. All the programs suggested are excellent but they fail to do one thing ie return the settings in your Chrome browser to what they were.

So:
1. Control panel -> programs & features -> uninstall any program you don't recognise, or ones you don't recognise the publisher of (probably leave any branded microsoft alone, and ones with recognisably component names). Check the list carefully, there often tyypos or misspellings.
2. Run your anti-malware program of choice be it, spybot, malwarebytes or adwecleaner (don't know that last one)
3 . Open Chrome browser - go to settings
a) Check the following -> on startup go to specific page -> set the page you want.
b) Click on advance settings - scroll down to "restore to default settings"
c) lefthand menu, choose "extensions"
Check that any that are enabled are ones you recognise & want.
Delete any you don't

4. Exit Chrome - restart pc & run malwarebytes (or similar)

Should then be ok
All the previous advice has been fine - they just haven't suggested resetting the settings & extensions installed on your web browser.

Let us know how it goes.
It's a pain but it happens to all of us - either when clicking next, or mis-clicking on a link.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I would uninstall Chrome then install it back on.

You might also try going into Chrome settings from another machine if you are logged on and actually clear the cache and cookies etc from there... but uninstall and fresh install will be better

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
that's cos the average hacker can't afford apples fees to get the software on the store

it's OK though because IOS is plenty enough randsomeware for most of us

That's ok then.

As long as I don't need to pi$$ about installing this that and the other blocker.(y)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
what as always worked for is to run roguekiller then delete all the items it finds - restart pc then run rogue killer delete all it finds - restart pc, i read on the net that rogue killer does work but you have to keep doing this to finally get rid of the stuff, first time i tried it i was like you JM very Judgemental :LOL::LOL: but i kept doing this and finally it got rid of them all, so everytime it ever happened again (which it has on a few occasions i always do the same thing and upto now has always worked... I have the full version of malwarebytes and compared to roguekiller its pretty useless.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back