Random questions and campervan etiquette

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by monzer, May 28, 2016.

1. monzer

monzer Funster

Hello all.

Well I've just booked my first trip away in the camper. Not going too far so just down to Edinburgh as I have a Stag do there next weekend, I also have family down there so they are coming round for a cuppa.

Anyway I have a few questions that have been niggling me so here they are....

1. What are the usual problems if the TV isn't working. I was told when I bought it that I would just need to turn on the maxview booster and it will pick up a freeview signal. I've tried everything and can't get it working, checked all connections, booster light is on but when I try to scan for channels nothing comes up and it doesn't show any signal strength at all. Any ideas? I have the little flying saucer shaped aerial on the roof and it seems in good nick.

2. With the temperature at a balmy 12 degress today (y) I had all the windows open to give it some air and one of the side windows just popped out. It seems to slip in to the groove on the outside of the van but surely it should be fixed in place? I got it closed and locked but a bit feart to open it again now. What if I get to Edinburgh and the temp has rocketed to 15 or so? :eek:

3. 3 isn't too much of a problem but what do most of you do for bedding? Do double bed sheets usually fit over the beds after they have been transformed at night, sleeping bags maybe? Is there places that could make up elasticated sheets fitted to size for the different beds?

Oh and the etiquette part. Had it out for a run and got a few waves from fellow campervaners, I take it it would be frowned upon when I didn't return the wave? I wont make this mistake again, we are all one :D

Thanks muckle.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I gave up on the fixed to aerial. It wasn't on the side of the vehicle whete I really wanted the to to be. £4.99 plug in aerial from Argos. In fact I se these on both TVs in the house, no problems.
    Windows--- can't help but someone knowledgeable will!
    Bedding. I found it easier to sleep on one duvet, covered by another. A duvet cover us the same size as a sheet to wash.

3. monzer

monzer Funster

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Hi and welcome!

1. I'm no expert but I think you have to twiddle the aerial to point at the transmitter. There should be a handle underneath it.

2. Can't help but it shouldn't do that.
    Something is worn, misaligned, bent or corroded. One of those. :)

3. Duvets every time for us and yes you can get made to measure fitted sheets. We have them but can't remember where from. Try searching on the forum.

4. Not everyone waves, I was waved at by a Frenchman this week. I was so shocked I nearly drove off the road!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Duvets on all beds
    Something worn or broken re window
    We only use tv to view media on ie DVDs

• Like Like x 1
  6. Speve

Speve Funster

Jonic.co.uk for sheets etc made to measure is one company
    If it's a flying saucer aeriel then its omnibus directional and you can't point it.
    Yes wave at everyone.
    Duvets.

• Like Like x 1
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

1. The arial you have is pretty useless... and will only work with a strong signal.. It's omnidirectional and doesn't 'twiddle'. If you have connected the TV correctly and no signal then you may be out of the transmitter range..

If TV is 'mission critical' ... upgrade the aerial but you may be better investing in a satellite dish.

2. Window sounds as though it's broken.. go back to the dealer..

3. Gave up sleeping bags with tent camping.. .. Duvet and sheets.. both our double beds are domestic size.. so we can buy fitted sheets off the shelf

4. Gave up waving years ago.. now just a single finger wave at tuggers.. ;)

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. ****

**** Read Only Funster

15 in Edinburgh. You optimistic fool :D Must admit though the sun did come out for the first time in about three miserable overcast days.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Cant answer the technical questions but reference sheets we used stretch jersey ones > Great fit. Duvet on top just like home :) If you can't find in shops the Amazon have them

• Like Like x 1
  10. ****

**** Read Only Funster

I will be taking the sleeping bags as backup/just in case. Being a mini self build camper what i did lag im thinking what if i missed something so better safe than freezing sorry

11. rangitira

rangitira Funster

If you got a fixed bed, you can buy a stretch sheet for the bottom. we got one to fit from Lidl
    Get yourself a small portable T V, WITH, a built in Free view box, these generally have a 12volt thingee too
    As for the window, perhaps something has seized, try working WD40 here and there, you never know it could work.
    Waving? suit yourself, A roads? if it's safe? M/ways? waste of time really, everyone is travelling at warp speed.

BUT!!! You hav'nt touched on the subject of "puffing" (ladies puff, men fart) This can be a touchy subject, especially when locked in the close confines of a M/H. Marriages have been severely strained by this occurance, of course there are experts on Fun that can elucidate further than I.

Just in case Mrs McRangi reads this I am bound to say "Chanel #5"abounds when she "puffs"

The fact that Greenpeace, monitors us when ever we travel is another thing.

Peace and harmony:hi5: !

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

That's why duvets are so popular. "Puffs" can escape sideways with ease.

Of course, a discrete flap of the bedding will help it on its way - and give you the opportunity to blame it on the dog. :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. monzer

monzer Funster

@rangitira I'm single and ready to mingle and I'm going solo in the camper until I find myself a lucky lady so no need for me to worry about puffs, farts or even follow through.

• Funny Funny x 6
  14. rangitira

rangitira Funster

:hi5::cheers:

15. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Normally with tv in a different location you have to tune it into the aerial ,despite many people saying that those type of aerials are useless ,I beg to differ never had any issue with mine after tuning it in to tv....Roy

16. kcy

kcy Funster

Yes wave away.....but beware.....Tesco delivery vans get you every time.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. ****

**** Read Only Funster

[​IMG]

Guys please, hes no one of us. We need tighter border controls im telling you :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. wingman

wingman Funster

Hi @monzer and a belated welcome to Motorhome Fun.

As far as the TV question goes, the two most common problems are (a) to tune it in. Even a few miles up the road can alter the tuning (use the auto-tune if you have it) and (b) make sure the correct source or input it selected. It needs to be 'looking at' DTV or the like. Those Omni-directional aerials aren't brilliant sometimes either. However, you should get something though, even if it's just a snowy image (which makes me think it's source, tuning, or input.

Finally, photo's are a real asset when asking questions on here. For example; post a few pics of your window with your question and someone will give you the answers in a jiffy. From your written explanation, we don't know whether it's an upper hinge broken of some other fault.

PS. If it was 12° in my house, I'd have the central heating on!! :D:D

19. monzer

monzer Funster

Thanks Wingman, I went to Argos and bought a cheapish indoor aerial and took it home to set up in my camper outside. I kinda got it working the once, the signal showed a strength of about 30% and it said it had found 11 digital channels but once it had finished tuning and I tried to view BBC 1 it popped back to 'No Signal' Then every time I have tried re-tuning it I have never got as far again with no signal strength showing up. I took the aerial inside to try with my TV inside and the tuning hasn't thrown up anything either. The only thing I can think that is wrong is that I am in a poor signal area. Forgetting about it now and once I'm settled in Edinburgh next Weekend I'll give it another go.

As for the windows, I took a couple of photos and I am wondering if the rubber seal on top of the window is siliconed in to the small runner on the outside of the van and over the years it has worked itself free?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the bonding on the top hinge has failed. usually caused because the hinge has seized. you need to free off the hinge and glue the acrylic window back into the aluminium slot. I used black sikoflex on the last windows i fixed that had failed like that

• Useful Useful x 1