Random media

Discussion in 'Website Help' started by simply, Oct 16, 2014.

1. simply

simply Read Only Funster

Why have I started getting four photos at the top of the page each time I open the forum and how do I get rid of them? These annoying random photographs or adverts take time to load and slow my system down, likely also use extra data so I would like to be rid of them please. On my small screen they are too small to identify what they are pictures of anyway so are a complete waste of time. Thank you.

• Like Like x 5
  2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

It is a bit annoying.........

• Like Like x 3
  3. simply

simply Read Only Funster

It is like the advertising you have to put up with on other sites until you cough up the membership fees, but I am a paid up member here on MotorhomeFun !

• Like Like x 2
  4. lou020

lou020 Funster

yes,,,i would like to remove mine too,

• Like Like x 2
  5. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Click on Media or Showcase then click on Marked forums read in the top right corner, then will get rid of them to more appear and yes it is annoying, if I wanted to see other peoples photos etc I would click on them, I don't need prompting. Sir Jim please note. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We always did have random photos on the home page. I quite like it, but your points are noted. The photos are fully responsive so if your screen is so small you can't see them, then they will be using very little if any of your bandwidth though I'll keep an eye on it.

7. iandsm

iandsm Funster

How can I stop this random media appearing whenever I open the webpage. Some may like it and thats fine for them, personally I am not in the least interested in what I have seen so far and I don't want it imposed on me every time I want to visit...

Any ideas please, and please don't suggest I don't have to look at it its right in my face.

• Like Like x 3
  8. iandsm

iandsm Funster

"We always did have random photos on the home page" Not so in our face and unavoidable as they are now Jim, something has changed, can't it be changed back?

• Like Like x 2
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I don't see any photos.. just sponsors adverts which can be blocked with Adblock if annoying

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cinderz

Cinderz Funster

Today is the first time I've seen that - maybe because I had to sign in today but I quite liked it but then I like looking at photos...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Detnor

Detnor Funster

This annoys me, pushing media at me I do not want. I don't particularly like the red flags for new media etc. but unwanted content I can do without.

Jim, how do I stop these photos appearing please?

• Like Like x 3
  12. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Oh, yes. Not seen those before, because I have 'Recent Posts' as my home page on here.

I've picked a good day, because the random set I've got are some rather fine landscapes, but I can see they would be annoying if you were browsing on a phone, a small tablet, or a slow or restricted connection.

I suspect the forum software could detect if you were using a phone, because phone web browsers announce themselves as such. Not so sure about tablets though & I doubt connection type can be detected.

The only suggestion I can make is to bookmark a different page as the starting point.

Try this: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/link-forums/recent-posts.257/

Save it directly - don't follow it & save where it takes you, or it will change on you.

13. Wildge

Wildge Funster

:rolleyes: First time seen today........... also had the hassle of having to re-sign in:(
    Agree with above post Jim................ when I want to look for photo's I know where to find them.:whistle:

14. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Thats fine for you but I and others do see photos and I am running add block (which does block adverts)so that is not the answer. The answer is that they should be removed from the front page and then those who want to see them can do so, those who don't, won't have to, quite apart from the data wastage issue.

Last time was an out of focus helicopter, two tents and two dogs, not great examples and I appreciate they are random, I just don't want them, neither do I want unknown people grinning at me from some event I didn't attend and I don't want to see other people holiday snaps. If I did, as has been said, I could look for myself.

Not being Meldrewish, simply giving my point of view.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  15. scotjimland

never said it was the answer.. just said I don't see random photos (yet) ...

16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If I changed every aspect of the site that someone doesn't like we wouldn't have a site, so as ever I go with what I like. Most people trust me to get it about right. I like the red indicators they are staying, the photos, I'm not so sure about yet and your points are duly noted. Thanks.

• Like Like x 8
  17. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

As far as the random media goes it causes me no problem because.. like others I automatically go to the recent postings page.
    I have had a look though and the bandwidth they use is minimal.. More importantly I find them a bit ugly in that format and they look a bit "added on" ...
    Fwiw I think the red indicators are great though.

18. scotjimland

ah ok, I see them now in the Forum Home page.. never go there , hence not seeing them. I use 'recent posts' as the book mark.

so simple answer is to use 'recent posts 'as your Fun home page

• Like Like x 1
  19. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I had never noticed them before because, like Jim, I never go to Forum home. It's straight to "new posts" for me. I have to say I quite like them. I think I may start clicking on "home" once in a while just so see what appears (y)

EDIT: Looking at what else is on the "home" page the extra bandwidth used to load 4 little photos is going to be so small as to be hardly measurable.

ANOTHER EDIT: I've just realised that they change every time you click "forum home" I like that even more (y)(y)(y)

20. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

What a lot of fuss about nothing, a few random pics , if you are reading the forum you are not looking at photos, if you don't want to see them just click on the Yellow Flag at the top then you cut them out. For £10 a year some people expect a awful lot.

• Like Like x 7