Ramadan starts today

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Don Madge, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Don Madge

Don Madge Funster

For those not familiar with Ramadan read on :)

The holy month of Ramazan (Ramadan) begins today Tuesday 9th July when observant Muslims will fast from sunrise to sunset. What is it all about and how could it affect you if you plan to go on holiday to Turkey/Morocco over that time?

Observing Ramazan, the holy month, is very important for Muslims worldwide as it is one of the five basic duties of the faith.

It is a time of fasting, prayer and celebration.

It is also a time for contemplation when people examine their own lives, understand the gift of eating when they feel like it and remind themselves of virtues such as charity, compassion and forgiveness.

Nil by Mouth
    During the period between sunrise and sunset nothing will pass the lips – no food, drink, smoke or chewing gum.
    Observant fasters will also not swim or shower during the daytime fast in case water passes the lips.
    But, when the sun sets, the fast is broken and participants will celebrate with a feast known as the Iftar – ‘Break-fast’.

The date of Ramazan changes by 11 days each year (earlier) and this year it will begin on the night of Tuesday 9th July and end 30 days later on the evening of the 7th August.

At the end of Ramazan a three day holiday known as Seker Bayrami celebrates the end of the fast.

Why Does the Date Change?
    Ramadan is always on the same day of the Islamic calendar. However, the date on the Gregorian calendar, the one we use, varies from year to year. This is because since the Gregorian calendar is a solar calendar and the Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar.
    This difference means Ramadan moves in the Gregorian calendar approximately 11 days every year.
    The date of Ramadan may also vary from country to country depending on whether the moon has been sighted or not. So in North America Ramadan starts a day later than in Turkey.

Ramazan Head
    As the fast is now well into the summer months it will bring with it additional pressures of heat and a very long day.
    Imagine not drinking any water in this heat and you'll soon understand the sacrifice people are putting themselves through.
    Not only that but smokers will also be climbing the walls too without their fix of nicotine.
    The Turks describe the side effects of fasting as Ramazan 'kafasi', or 'Ramazan Head' in English, that distant, irritable, and some may say, spaced out feeling of going without.

Be Prepared
    Fethiye, Marmaris, Kusadasi and Bodrum are tourist areas so the locals make allowances for visitors.
    In fact many tourists will probably be blissfully unaware of not only Ramazan but also that their waiters or other hotel staff are fasting.
    You will see people (Tourists and some Turks) eating, drinking and smoking during the day, but it's good form to be considerate to those Turkish people who are fasting and do any consumption subtly.
    This is particularly the case if you smoke - walking down the street puffing away isn't going to make you popular with those with a nicotine craving.
    In more rural places, or traditional cities (like Konya) you need to be more vigilant.
    Religious beliefs can be strong so don't let people see you eat/drink or smoke in public.
    If you are travelling outside a tourist area you may find it difficult to find anywhere to eat during the day so take some food and drink with you.

A few things to watch out for:
    Irritation

Some people fasting will be irritable especially in the first few days so be extra careful to be polite and respectful in your day to day dealings with people.

Crazy or Crazier Driving

Around dusk the hungry faster will speed home for their Iftar meal.

Hungry, dying for a fag and with low blood sugar their driving will be even more erratic than normal.

So be careful crossing the road or driving around about this time.

In fact try to avoid going out at this time and wait half an hour after sunset and you’ll have everywhere to yourself.

Special Foods

During the period of Ramazan, a special bread becomes available (called Pide) which is large and round and sprinkled with black cumin seeds. [These make great bases for French bread style pizza].

Supermarkets will also sell Ramazan hampers stocked with certain foods. These are given as gifts by employers to their staff.

Office Hours

Some business may have shorter opening hours during Ramazan so keep an eye out for signs advising of the times.

Restaurants

If you are travelling away from the popular resorts restaurants may only service one meal, the Iftar meal, at sunset and only with a reservation.

Those restaurants may also refuse to sell you alcohol.

If you don't want to go hungry plan ahead

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

And be aware travelling to predominantly Muslim countries at the end of Ramadam. Slaughter of sheep and goats, often in the street. It is truly horrific.

My friends and co workers in The Gambia advised me never to visit then,knowing I'm vegetarian.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Channel 4 have told us,I'm off for a bacon sarnie!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Don Madge

Don Madge Funster

I think you are getting Ramadan mixed up with the Muslim ceremony of Eid al-Adha where the goats/sheep get slaughtered. It falls in October this year?

5. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Wishing any muslim funsters a pleasant and peaceful ramadam and apologies in advance if we offer you food or drink during the fasting period.

• Like Like x 7
  6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi don . have some great times at mutton fest. have several oics of them . yes the streets run with blood . every head of every family or household must kill a sheep. daft idea but what a great party. been to several families houses when its on . the arabs and muslims are very sharing at times like that. not at all like we are told in the news etc . inshallah.

7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I worked in the Mid East 12 years and Eid el Fitr is the holiday at the end of the holy month of Ramadan and Eid el Adha is the one at the end of the Hajj. As far as I know the lucky sheep and goats don't have to wait but can be slaughtered for any celebration, including the Prophet's birthday.

Ramadan beginning and end is only determined by the sighting of the moon so it could be a day later starting and finishing, in theory.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  8. Shuggy68

Shuggy68

ramadan

I thought Ramadan was a band a skittles band:Doh:

9. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Might be just a Gambian thing, can't remember name of it but I was sure it was end of Ramadam, but my memory can be foggy! Whenever, I'd DEFINITELY avoid it. A veggies worst nightmare

10. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I think I must be a little racist as it annoys me when people come here and expect not to live as we do, they fight one another in their own countries they go all over the world and want everyone to change

• Like Like x 3
  11. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Yes, Christianity is a serious crime in Saudi Arabia but it is quite ok for some people to come here and............

....no, no. I had better stop. Let's just try and live and let live. Bad subject to discuss.

Whatever anyone thinks, we should still respect the holy month. I'm in a meeting with a friend here in Singapore tomorrow who is a Muslim and as usual will not drink in front of him whilst he is fasting. He has no problem with us drinking beer etc when out during the rest of the year even though his tipple is 7up on the rocks. So we respect in return.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

Christianity was never an issue in Saudi. Went to Church services several times in both Dhahran and Ras Tanura back in the day. In Tripoli, we went to the massive Cathedral for Christmas service and carols. Just saying!!

• Like Like x 2
  13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

oh and christians dont go around fighting and forcing there wishes on folk . come on what did we have a british empire . actually i find almost every muslim country i have visited i can do as o want . i hand out watchtowers and awake magazines all the time .never had a problem .

• Like Like x 1
  14. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

well they would not let me open a Pub:Doh:

15. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I don't mind anyone having their own little foibles and traditions providing it doesn't impede on anyone else and they don't want any "special" treatment.

If they want to starve themselves in the name of their religion I don't think it has anything to do with anyone. However if during this fasting they get light headed and crash their car causing injury or death they ought to be punished heavily as it was foreseeable. They should not be allowed to use Ramadan fasting as an excuse for anything that any other normal person would not get away with.

• Like Like x 5
  16. vwalan

vwalan Funster

every country i have been in you could still buy beer or wine . in many whiskey was a good bartering tool .

17. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

If muslims are fasting, it means there will be less of a queue at the takeaway!:BigGrin:

Kebab anyone?

18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

only during the day once the sun goes down look out .
    street parties and eat as much as you can during the night .

19. bmb1uk

bmb1uk Read Only Funster

i wish it lasted 12 months were they dont eat or drink at all :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  20. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Don Madge

Thanks Don for taking the trouble to research and post the info.

Irrespective of our views, it's an interesting read.
    Cheers.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1