GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
So this may sound strange to some of you but we are completely new to this so indulge me if you don't mind.

The term rally and meet seem to crop up a lot. What exactly happens at these?
I imagine it is a lot of people parking up on a car park and having a chat - I'm probably wrong.

Jen

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
You've got the general idea.

Someone finds a venue and announces a rally or a meet, then members sign up to go. It could be a farmer's field, a commercial site that will offer a discount for a rally or maybe a school playground etc. Things may be organised i.e. a quiz night, or karaoke, an American supper, a communal BBQ... or just simply all sit around and chat over a drink and some nibbles.

Some of the MHF meets are at the various Motorhome shows around the country so people can also check out the trade stands.

The Clubs also have rallying sections - the Caravan Club has Centres and the C & CC have DA's. They organise rallies and Temporary Holiday Sites all over the country.

Any clearer now? :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Yes, forgive me but that sounds horrendous!

Bought the motorhome to be able to go to quiet settings and have some privacy following some difficult times.

Not for us then, for those of you who like that sort of thing - enjoy!

Jen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are different sorts of rallies. There is an owners' club for our MH and we have been to a few of their rallies and enjoyed them. One was just 5 vehicles held along the east coast of Scotland and organised by someone who knew the area very well. We moved to different locations over the week and discovered places we would never have found on our own. It changed my opinion of that part of Scotland completely.

On other rallies we usually spend the days walking but many folk just do their own thing. Not a beer tent in sight although we do try and have at least one meal together in a pub. We have found the rallies useful for getting to know an area with the help of a few local experts.

Unfortunately, you have the wrong MH to join us! :)

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It is a way to put faces to names and make the next step in developing friendships within the forum sharing happy times with people of similar interest. How much or little you participate is up to you, a whole new social world opens up and many lasting friendships are formed. There are very very few people who have been to a rally that never go to another, in fact I don't know of any. It is a way to meet members from the far corners of the UK and sometimes farther afield. One rally at Shepton Mallet had members from 10 different countries attend and many brought food delicacies for other members to try. The women had a tradition of baking a cake for sunday coffee and cake do, (mind some bought from the shop) We have had fix it meets where people get other members to help sort problems on their vans. Foodie meets, pub meets, bring and buy meets, music meets, every meet is different and turning up to chat in a carpark does not really describe what they are all about. Most rallies have a hospitality tent where funster can gather and chill over a drink or coffee have a natter or listen to music, spend a quiz night or whatever anyone fancies. Basically it can be anything you want it to be and the cost is generally lower than campsite costs per unit per night.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

Bought the motorhome to be able to go to quiet settings and have some privacy following some difficult times.

Jen
Everybody is different Jen. I had over ten years of difficult times before Ijoined Motorhome fun and loved, still do love, my privacy and my difficult times still continue in a different way .... I love quiet settings, woodland walks alone, beach at night in the moonlight or sitting on a hilltop doing Buddhist meditation. BUT I HAVE TO SAY ............ Motorhome Fun has been a life saver for me in MANY MANY ways .............. There are idiots and people I don't wish to call friends ............. but 95% are people who I have come to care about, who are there for me when I need a friend or a shoulder to cry on and I hope I am there for them in return. I have met and come to love people from all walks of life, with different intellect, with such diversity of personalities and beliefs which I have come to respect... I have many solo friends, many married friends and a large extended family. I am so glad that I kept an open mind.

Keep reading and maybe you may be surprised, but if you still feel that same way then we will respect your views, and that is what makes Fun special. :)

Looking at the numerous posts you have made I see you have already found how helpful members try to be to everybody.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Jen

Exactly how we felt before we had been to a Meet/rally (y) We don't go to many,compared to some,but the ones we go to we thoroughly enjoy.
Joy has summed it up really.

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We rally most weekends with local DA's, Centres and the Motorcaravan Section of the C & CC and of course MHF if we can. It gets us out in the MH most weekends so we make use of it, and it's much cheaper than staying on sites. We have been to places we would never have got to otherwise - weekend before last we went to Quex Park at Birchington, huge field with only 10 outfits on it, we amused ourselves all weekend except for the occasional chat with other ralliers.

The Camping Club organise temporary holiday sites all over the country were you can just turn up, settle down and not talk to another sole if you want, but they find some lovely spots mostly with public transport and/or village/town close by.

It's not for everyone but we've been rallying for over 20 years so we're a bit biased.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I really didn't mean any offense, it just wouldn't be for us.

I have been over the moon to find this forum packed with useful information and helpful people - you have all been great but please don't be offended that I don't want to go away for the weekend with you - after all I don't want to go with my Mum or Sister either!

Jen

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Jen, at the end of the day it's no different to taking your MH to a camp site - in that if you don't want to talk to the MH next door you close your door or you just say hello as and when. The "get togethers" cost a lot less than the average site in the UK and can be ( thats up to you ) great fun / company / friendship formers.

NO ONE on here will think any less of you, so don't worry. Enjoy.

Upvote 0

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Jen,
If you have never been to a rally/meet how can you say that it isn't for you, the fact that you don't like going away with your mother & sister your preference and am sure that there are funsters on here who feel the same way about their family, but why let that stop you trying out a rally you may be surprised by the friendly funsters you meet. There are no hard and fast rules, you do exactly what you wish there are areas on these rallies where if you wish you can just enjoy your own space but you also have the opportunity to say hello to other funsters if you wish. There are lots of people who go to rallies who are a mind of information who will do everything they can if someone needs help with MH problems but also have amazing ability to give help on almost anything that could crop up in life. There are jokers, wind up merchants etc., but at the end of the day they all have hearts of gold.
So now its up to you but life can be lonely as lots of funsters can verify when they lose someone close or even a pet but with FUN there is always someone here whatever time of day or night.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome Jen.

If meeting up and hanging out with Funsters isn't "your thing" then that is totally fine. No one here will mind how you use the Fun forum. Loads of Funsters don't even post, never mind actually meet up.

Only a minority of members get together and enjoy "real" company.

But I am surprised you feel you have to tell us you won't be attending... why not just not attend?

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I am sure those of you who enjoy getting together have a wonderful time and make lovely new friends.
My husband and I however have huge families, lots of friends and want to use the motorhome for some peace, quiet and even solitude together away from very stressful jobs both before our adopted children arrive and then after to spend time privately as a family getting to know our new children. Loneliness is not an issue for us - but if you are then I am sure the rallies are a wonderful thing.

Maybe in future years our needs and wants will change, who knows?

Jen

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
One use of your motorhome doesn't rule out any others.

I have peace and quiet when I want it AND I hang out with like minded folk at other times...

...but why I am telling you this I have no idea, just as I have no idea why you told us you are adopting children...

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Sorry but I find your attitude a tad Judgemental:D
I really am trying to explain that is exactly what I am not, again apologies if it came over that way - nuances are so difficult to express in the written word.

If we all liked the same things life would be awful - my likes, dislikes and opinions are my own - as are anyone else's I don't really feel the need to conform and neither should anyone else.

I wanted to know a bit more about rallies and now I do. I don't want to go so I won't, it's really no big deal. I also find the thought of large campsites with clubs, pool and entertainment off putting so I won't be going to them either - that doesn't mean that some people don't love that sort of thing as they are fully entitled too.

As for the adopting - I was trying to explain why we wanted peace etc. Also, it is nothing to be ashamed of (in fact we are thrilled at the prospect) it was the driving force behind our MH purchase so why not mention it?

Jen

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I go for the Strippers, mud wrestling and free beer, and the odd pulled pork burger. Chat to a few folk, see what crap they want to sell, basically just like being at home.

You forgot the Jelly Wrestling, an' the Baked Beans batheing, certainly does things to the imagination when you are cooking Toast and Joy walks by covered in Beans :whistle2:

Et je mente!:notworthy2:

Upvote 0

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
These posts are not about trying to get you or anyone else to conform with activities that go on at rallies but merely pointing out that you may have the wrong idea as to what goes on at these rallies.
A lot of people on here have stressful jobs and have more stress in their private lives i.e. not just coping with looking after one person with dementia but two, or looking after a partner with terminal cancer or other debilitating condition, as well as having large families. Hope your adoption plans and subsequent arrival of the children go well. Maybe a few years down the line you will be able to overcome your fear of FUN and join us. In the meantime have a good life, the funsters will.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have to say Jen that the Rallies and meets are not for me either, I have however booked onto as many as I can just so that I can ignore the other funsters as this gives me an immense feeling of superiority and well-being.

As regards adoption, you really must NOT attend any rally that the likes of Old Mo or ShiftZZ attend as the desire to take them into your fold and give them a decent upbringing and teach them good manners is sure to overwhelm you.

Enjoy your search for peace and tranquility, you are not alone.......... Griff

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Jen

That is the beauty of Motorhoming it's what you want it to be, we enjoy a bit of both, joining in with fun friends catching up on what's going on in the world of motorhomes where people have travelled, good routes and secret places to stay, there is a lot more to a rally than meets the eye, rally's are often in beautiful places and not just on a car park. Other times we enjoy exploring on our own, enjoy your motorhome however it suits you that's what it's all about.

Rally's are just a small part of Motorhome Fun some folk love them others like you it's not for them, does not make them any less a member of Fun, don't think anyone needs to explain or justify if they don't want to rally or they really enjoy rally's it's individual choice.

Upvote 0

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
You forgot the Jelly Wrestling, an' the Baked Beans batheing, certainly does things to the imagination when you are cooking Toast and Joy walks by covered in Beans :whistle2:

Et je mente!:notworthy2:

Well we are looking for different types of games, for Dorset event, eh, Jez.........now who's got a Bookers card for industrial sized tins of beans..........oh, and a paddling pool !:clap2::rock:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back