Rally no electric : ques about battery life

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Spidey, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Ok a real newbie question. We have not used our van just on battery/ gas etc. Thinking of joining the Shepton Mallet Rally and wondered would the battery last the weekend? Fridge i assume would have to go onto gas, but not sure whether i need electric. I phoned them up and it was £25 for the weekend, which seems a bit steep. They do have toilets and showers available. We would only be coming from friday eve till Sunday morning.

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Have you got any solar panels?

3. Happy Phantom

Happy Phantom Read Only Funster

You should be fine, if its chilly you would have to run heating on gas, and use gas to heat water.
    Just make sure you have full gas cylinders and your battery is charged up full.
    Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Spidey

Spidey Funster

No solar, it is something we would think about in the future. Heating is diesel, fridge gas so i assume it will be lights only on battery?

5. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Can highly recommend having even just one solar panel plus Battery Master (Vanbitz with Funster discount(y)) - we were off hook up (but daunting first time) for 5 days & both hab & cab batteries always at 3/4 - full even in Wales with not a lot of sun! Add a refillable gas bottle like Gaslow or Gas It & true freedom & so many more options of places to stay on a budget:)

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you've got diesel heating you may struggle for a weekend if you need it on much for habitation heating but it depends on how many, size of and condition of your leisure batteries. I would hope you would be OK for a couple of nights but the third might be touch and go - but there are many variables, LED lights, use of TV etc. It is a subject discussed endlessly here. I suggest just go for it and you will find out for your MH how long it can last off grid - but take candles and extra jumpers just in case!

7. WOOOODENTOP

WOOOODENTOP Funster

Dont worry....if it gets dim just fire up the engine to get the charge up. A weekend should be fine, solar panels are the way forward if you intend to do it regular.

8. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Should be OK - I managed to survive 4 nights with 2 x 75Ah batteries running a compressor fridge a few weeks ago. Didn't need to run the diesel blown heater, mind you.

As already mentioned though, there are so many unknowns - battery size & condition, what electrical items you expect to use, how long you might run the diesel heater - there's only one way to know for certain.

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

All you have to do is try it. Give or take the weather it will be the same at home or at the show.

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

It takes an average 8 to 10 hours engine running to recharge a fully discharged (50% discharged) leisure battery from the alternator.
    It basically trickle charges and nothing more.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I can manage 4 days in one place with mine totally of grid fridge and heating on gas with 12v blower, lights, stereo and phone chargers running of a single leisure battery.

But usually I move daily and drive for maybe 2 to 3 hours max which makes me surprised at this

Ive never used the EHU in my van as it's never required

12. themogs

themogs Funster

We managed last year at Shepton with just the leisure battery. As long as you are careful...NO TV... you should be fine.

13. coroner

coroner Read Only Funster

get a honda gennie or a kipor top battery up as needed sorted

14. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Is it a Flash 10 you have ? If so, the lowering and raising of the bed takes a good few amps from the battery !! But not much else to drain the battery. We managed 3 days off grid and did OK, but I think anymore would be with fingers crossed.

Fridge and cooking will have to be off gas and your heating is diesel.

15. The Wino

The Wino Funster

The diesel heater uses a lot of electric when it starts to get the glow plug hot so if not at a n annoying time might be an idea to put the engine on for a bit ( I think it suggests it in the Chausson manual)

David

16. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi, Normally we can go 4/5 days just on battery , so long as you don't use too much television, gas just make sure one of your bottles is full no problems ( as the advert say's SIMPLES)
    When we go to France for 3 weeks we don't pick up electric hook ups ( admitted we do charge batteries by driving though)and again as long as 1 of our 2 x 6kg propane bottles is full we usually come back still with plenty