Rally Fee ?

Discussion in 'Rally Planning Discussion and Chat' started by chrisboyo, Jun 6, 2014.

1. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

What are the thoughts of the Funsters on asking for a rally fee from those attending funster meets ?

The CCC , CC , MCC etc all charge a rally fee in addition to the entrance fee to an event or rally.

All rally fees could be used to provide new equipment etc

A rally fee of 50p or £1 would not be a lot to ask, I feel, for what we get from this great club of ours

Keep it clean please I am only asking

Happy Daze
    Chrisboyo

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We do already pay one, or am I missing something ? Never been to an actual show, sales place. So I don't know about that side.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

No you are not missing anything

The £12 a year we pay as members has to be great value for what we get from Motorhome fun

Just so that we all understand

This post is totally of my own making with no other input or prompting from any source

• Like Like x 2
  4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Don't know. I pay for my camping fees ... do you mean on top of that? If so, don't know what I think.... £1 per meet extra is a lot to some of us who struggle to keep a van on the road anyway .. it isn't just the pound, it's the annual membership for this, and Caravan/CCC/MCC, road tax, insurance, mot, diesel, upkeep on tyres, repairs, etc etc etc .. it all mounts up. :Sad: We do have raffles too to provide extras needed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Chris there is a fee on a rally ? I've never been to a free one anyway.
    What ever charge the hosts say. Payable on arrival.
    I don't mean the annual MHF subscription charge, either. Which I agree is good value.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

What I am asking is

Would Motorhome Fun members attending an event or rally as part of a Motorhome Fun group ,be prepared to pay a small sum over and above the entry fee to an event .

Just so we all understand
    This post is of my own making, with no other input from any source

Chris

• Like Like x 1
  7. BillyS

BillyS Funster

Why would you want to pay more than you need to?:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Most rallying clubs collect a small rally fee at each rally even the show rallies! All for different reasons, some to pay their rally insurance, entertainment, or even charity etc.

We've never done this as I've never really felt it necessary. Whenever we have done fundraising before its always been through raffles on rallies (we've bought 6 event shelters via raffles) Many of us have heard the stories from one club in particular where you need to hand over the pound before your parked up:Laughing:

No one is forced or even cajoled to buy raffle tickets so it remains a voluntary affair which seems to sit better with most people.

• Like Like x 17
  9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I think I'm right in saying that the MCC rally districts don't see any of the annual subs, that all goes to head office. While all their rallying districts expenses for stuff and incidentals is paid for via fundraising so it makes sense for them.

On motorhome facts they pay a fee on every rally for 'insurance' as the owner was too tight to pay it out of the subs he collected.

Most other clubs collect one to help defray costs of big functions at New year etc.

So if you have a 'fund' to fill they might be a good idea, but I feel raffles or similar are as good or better.

• Like Like x 2
  10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

theres one way to see if its acceptable.

Pick a known 'good attendance' rally and when the ' to attend thread' starts, state there will be a £1 rally fee over and above all other costs.

If its undersubscribed on previous years you know its a bad idea.

Some members may not like it in the same way some funsters wont buy fun flags, fun smiley stickers etc.

Personally, i wouldnt mind either a fee or raffle.....but not both, thats getting greedy.

• Like Like x 2
  11. nomadic

nomadic Funster

I/we prefer the raffle route.......its a game of chance, we all like the chance to win a pound for a penny investment.:RollEyes:

The bacon breakfast @ £1.00 can't make much profit, if any, that, I feel would still be well supported at £1.50/roll:Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The advantage of charging £1 for a baconroll is that there is no need for much of a change float. If you make it £1.50 then people will want change. I could just have two for £3 but I usually like to have 3 :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The Bacon roll breakfasts are not done for profit, we aim to break-even. By keeping them cheap it encourages everyone to come, because the real reason for the breakfast is to bring everyone together. Some great friendships have been made in those queues for bacon rolls :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 11
  14. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I remember paying the £1 at the other place. I didn't begrudge the money but at some events it was required at the entrance and I don't often carry money in the cab. It could be a pain.

Jim's way of doing it is much better with the raffle. I will more often than not hand over more than £1.

Which reminds me I have some raffle prizes for Stratford to go collect, must do that tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Wow this surprised me. I'd never heard of rally fees before.

I have never charged a "rally fee" at any meets I have held nor, to my knowledge ever paid a rally fee.

In fact the first time I ran the meet I provided the mulled wine, hence the panic when the 3rd winter meet became so big that I asked everyone just to bring something whether it was a bottle of mulled wine or bag of charcoal but felt really bad for asking at the time.

If fun meets are being held where those organising it ARE charging something over and above the site or pub fee then it should be stipulated quite clearly and the excess fully accounted for. I personally feel that in any such instances Jim should be given a copy of the accounts in case of any nasty allegations in the future only because as everyone knows, it only takes one person to spoil it for everyone else.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Have I got this wrong then ? I'm sure we have to pay , it's Ralph that does the deed and he's out pricing up a job. So I can't check with him.
    But for eg goth meet, you went to. Did we not pay for that ? It's not much , couldn't say how much as I don't pay it , but there is a fee.
    I'm doubting my self now.:Doh:
    I know we did at Eden cos I remember Ralph settling up with Sheila .
    I'm sure , cos he tried to give it to Mick and he said no see Sheila. I'm not trusted with cash :Wink::Rofl1:

If we didn't pay a rally fee , who pays for the rent of the field. And hire of the room, just the rally marshal ? Very generous if so ......

17. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Just asked Ralph now he's home , Eden camp about a tenner per night , goth just gone up to £11 per night, misterton about £7 per night. Cheap at half the price and well worth it. But still a charge. Usually a bit more if you have hook up.
    That's all he can remember off the top of his head.
    I'm sure no one is charging more than they should though, why would they ?

• Like Like x 1
  18. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

I may be confused, so here is my understanding of Chrisboyo's original post and your comments.

There are site charges which are what everyone pays to pitch up and use the facilities like what we paid at the Goth Meet and what we pay to those who run the motorhome shows as just two examples.

Then there are rally fees. From what Chris is saying this is a small amount that you pay on top - an "add on charge" so to speak.

So my response was if there are add on charges they should be clearly listed as like other people I think we should know what we are paying for.

As an extreme example of what could happen I could charge £20 per head for the rally at waldegraves payable to me. I could pay the £16 pitch fee and pocket the other £4 per pitch and no one would be any the wiser as all the pitches would be booked in my name and under data protection the site wouldnt be allowed to release any information. I could also spend the extra £4 on mulled wine or drinks etc or give it to Jim.

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

of the clubs/forums I'm a member of only those who do not charge a subscription tend to charge a rally fee. I supplied a marquee for the shepton show out of my own pocket when I was a marshal because I felt it was needed, so each to their own. People buy raffle tickets and used to spend for the Christmas charity auction but make it an additional charge at rallies and there is bound to be less people attending. Especially those who begin feel poor relations because of their personal finances. It is just another nail in the coffin for them.

20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Chris is used to paying a rally fee as most every club out there raises funds that way. No one is proposing it here. What a pain collecting coin is anyway.

If we needed it badly we'd just put subs up for rallying members. But we don't, so the odd raffle to raise cash by ralliers to benefit ralliers is more than enough.

• Like Like x 11