Rallies Rubbish / Recycling

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Jun 21, 2015.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

when at home we now have bins for everything and are quite proud that we send more out as recycling than for landfill

while away at meets / rallies or sites, if there is no facility for recycling we take all that can be home with us, or if away search out the nearest recycle point

possibly I am keener on this than some / most that we rally with, we have three carrier bags of recycling to go into our recycling bins when we get home

my first point is what a shame that the organisers of larger rallies especially do not put at least glass recycling next to rubbish, cans plastic and cardboard would be nice but glass nearly essential, but sadly lacking at Stratford where I am now, although the rally pack does suggest there is recycling on site

now I appreciate that some full timers cant carry everything with them and need to leave rubbish when they can, also anybody going on to another site from here it would be unreasonable to take it there. But my guess is by far the majority leaving here have gone home, but the bin is full of stuff that could be recycled if taken home, glass being the most obvious, then plastic bottles next followed by cans, the bins are full of them

is it really just me, do people not see the problem that land fill is finite, I see it as lazy personally, but am willing to read other opinions :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  2. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

The Newbury show had plenty of recycling wheelie bins which I donated 60 empty bottles of lager (y)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

I applaud your generosity :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

I only drink to keep the recycling boys in work. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I'm going to hold my hands up as being a bit lazy re recycling.. :worried:

• Like Like x 2
  6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

All the rallies I've been to are at sites which are non-domestic so any recycling they are able to do depends on what the contractor they use can or is willing to process. We were on a THS at a school recently where glass could not be left in either the recycling bin or the ordinary bin because of the waste contract. We only had one bottle and one jar as I recall so took them with us and recycled them at the next place we stopped at.

• Like Like x 1
  7. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

If there was recycling bins on sites then I would use them but if not then the normal bin just gets used. Lack of thought really, never gave it any.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I get cross if there are not recycling bins on sites..... the only exception was Ravenglass C&CC site where they made a point of telling us that all rubbish went into a single bin as they paid to have it sorted off-site :)

Generally I leave non-recycle rubbish in the on-site bins and take home recycling stuff if there is no recycling at the site. Most sites do have recyle points though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. makems

makems Funster Life Member

I have asked Hartlepool Council for bins for the Hartlepool Rally. They will be providing the large bins normally use by commercial businesses and no recycling option is available. It's to do with the vehicles they use for collecting those types of bins.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Masman

Masman Funster

Light weight.only 60:drink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Well @DavidG58 we are taking all our recycling home with us so that will be two big bags full and only two carrier bags of waste have gone to the bins on site.

I do agree with you that in general there could and should be more facilities for recycling.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

We always recycle at the Ilfracombe rally though it does make a lot of extra work sorting even when separate bins are provided.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I think the recycling lobby have made us lazy and thoughtless.

It takes more energy to recycle something old into something new than it would to make the new from New materials.

But it takes less energy to re-use something than it does to walk to the recycling centre.

Reduce first, then re-use, as a last resort recycle.

• Like Like x 3
  14. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

We generally rally with CCC and there's not usually recycling facilities so we take everything home with us, keeping general waste separate from recycling.

Denise

• Like Like x 1