Raising the roof!

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by paul8ch, Jan 14, 2012.

1. paul8ch

paul8ch Read Only Funster

This might sound a little stoopid but I have built in a full size bed in my ldv convoy.It's about a metre from the floor with the worlds thickest mattress! Trouble is wifey feels a bit closed in being so close to the roof.Has anybody here ever raised a roof on a panel van/minibus? I'm more than capable of carrying out the work myself to quite a high standard as this is sort of my trade but it would be nice to see some pics so I can show Mrs H what to expect.I am only raising the rear 5/6 foot by about 12".Should think it will look a bit of a weird fish but hey ho owners and their dogs and all that!:Eeek:

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

3. aba

aba

just cut a big hole and seal,rivet then fill a fibreglass pod on top.

best way of showing Mrs is take a picture of the van as it is then get someone to photoshop you a pod on top then show the mrs that one.

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

yes fitting hightops was easy .cut the hole . rest new roof on the top . clamp strips of wood into the gutter . go inside spoon adhesive into the little trough . wait a few hours . remove wood and off you go. we fitted sheldon hightops and then went on to leisuredrive roofs . have a leisuredrive proto type here on my sons vw. been on since 98.
    yes you could just make a fibreglass bit for what you want . or maybe make it in ply and resin coat it. . or look for a vehicle in a scrap yard cut off the area you need and make a front or back to suit.
    anything is possible .have seen vans with beetles on top as a high roof . or mercs with citreon 2cv.s as extentions .
    could be a cut and shut using alot of the original roof .but might be hard to fold in situe .
    you could make a steel pod and weld rivet, glue it in place. the world needs ideas to get things going. if you are confident you can . then do it.

5. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Buy her a tent let her sleep in that:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. lunarman

lunarman Funster

[​IMG]

Autocruise have done the same on their starblazer to give more headroom over the garage bed.

Lunarman

7. paul8ch

paul8ch Read Only Funster

tried that still in pain haha !!!:Rofl1: