Free Member
Nov 22, 2011
kent
Funster No
MH
minibus conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
This might sound a little stoopid but I have built in a full size bed in my ldv convoy.It's about a metre from the floor with the worlds thickest mattress! Trouble is wifey feels a bit closed in being so close to the roof.Has anybody here ever raised a roof on a panel van/minibus? I'm more than capable of carrying out the work myself to quite a high standard as this is sort of my trade but it would be nice to see some pics so I can show Mrs H what to expect.I am only raising the rear 5/6 foot by about 12".Should think it will look a bit of a weird fish but hey ho owners and their dogs and all that!:Eeek:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Wouldn't it be easier to lower the bed :Smile:

There used to be some companies that would cut a chunk out of the roof and fit a fiberglass hightop, though I last did this in 1977 so things have probably changed since then.

Like this Link Removed

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just cut a big hole and seal,rivet then fill a fibreglass pod on top.

best way of showing Mrs is take a picture of the van as it is then get someone to photoshop you a pod on top then show the mrs that one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes fitting hightops was easy .cut the hole . rest new roof on the top . clamp strips of wood into the gutter . go inside spoon adhesive into the little trough . wait a few hours . remove wood and off you go. we fitted sheldon hightops and then went on to leisuredrive roofs . have a leisuredrive proto type here on my sons vw. been on since 98.
yes you could just make a fibreglass bit for what you want . or maybe make it in ply and resin coat it. . or look for a vehicle in a scrap yard cut off the area you need and make a front or back to suit.
anything is possible .have seen vans with beetles on top as a high roof . or mercs with citreon 2cv.s as extentions .
could be a cut and shut using alot of the original roof .but might be hard to fold in situe .
you could make a steel pod and weld rivet, glue it in place. the world needs ideas to get things going. if you are confident you can . then do it.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Link Removed

Autocruise have done the same on their starblazer to give more headroom over the garage bed.

Lunarman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back