Radio wiring.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Norman Jones, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Norman Jones

Norman Jones Funster

Just fitted a new Kenwood stereo, but it needs the ignition on to work. I don't really want the key on when I'm having a glass of wine in the evening. Can anyone help with wiring swap on the connector for a permanent live feed.
    Cheers Norm.

2. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

There will be a permanent live some where behind the dash. You will need a volt meter or probe to find it.
    I had to find one for my stereo.

3. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Well I have just finished rewiring ours today, we had a new radio a couple of years ago and the guy fitting it said he could make it so that it didn't need the ignition BUT all he did was disconnect the red switched live and reconnect it to the yellow permanent live, (they are both wired to the radio at the same time as the permanent live keep the radio memory). It all worked OK but I believe it puts a permanent drain on the battery even when you think it is switched off.

Anyway cutting a long story short I took the red switched live from the yellow lead and ran it through a switch fitted into the dash and then back to the red on the back of the radio.

The longer story involves me soldering the joints and blowing the permanent live feed and not being able to find a fuse, anyway it all works now, I think it possibly blew because the soldering iron was plugged into the mains on the motorhome and down to the chassis earth.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  4. Norman Jones

Norman Jones Funster

Cheers Martin, I was trying to avoid that !!!!!

5. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

My radio is powered from the starter battery which is not good although it has a 20 minute cut-off. I intend eventually to wire it to my leisure bats.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

Fed ours off hab battery. Common red and yellow. All is good!!

• Like Like x 1