Radio rewire?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by rangitira, May 3, 2011.

1. rangitira

rangitira Funster

The radio on our van will only play when the Ignition is on. Not half way! only when fully on. I've poked around in the back of it, and found a bright Yellow wire marked "Battery" among all the others attached to the back of the Radio.
    Question; If I cut this wire, which I suppose is routed thro the Ignition, and take it straight to the battery (with inline fuse naturally) will that allow the Radio to work without the Ignition involved ?

I'm thinking it will , BUT, thought I'd check with the Oracles on this forum, just in case!

Once again all help gratefully recieved:thumb:

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Where in Cornwall are you? Would you like me to pop down and rewire to your leisure, or put on a switch? Labour free...(just make gallons of coffee!!:thumb:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Yellow does go to the battery but it is used for the radio memory .. and is 'live' at all times.
    Look for the red, that is the supply from the ignition ..

see diagram

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

If you have the standard fittings block as Jim posted there is no need to cut and change any existing wiring.

Just fit a small "jumper" wire from the yellow radio memory spade to the red ignition spade. You could also make it longer and fit a switch so you can change over as you like. It is also easy to remove should you wish to change it back to the original setting.

Then you can turn the radio on and off without even having to put your keys in the ignition at all.

On the downside of course, don't forget to go away with the radio switched on, you could then come back to a flat battery.:Doh:

5. TDH

TDH Funster

I've just done exactly that on The Rosabella. I was wondering if it would be possible to wire it up so that, as in most modern cars, it will switch off automatically after a given amount of time.

6. rainbow chasers

You will probably find that someone has disconnected the permanent live, and the radio is relying on ignition live only. Common ' quick fix' on campers/motorhomes to avoid to battery drains.

I will have a look next week for them and will know then!:thumb:

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i wouldnt advise connecting direct (via fuse) to the battery.

i made that mistake on my car.

radio memory used 9 milliamps when radio off

connected switched (ignition) live direct to battery (no accessory position on a corsa) and it went to 190ma with the radio turned off.
    in effect it just made the off button a standby button.

doesnt sound much but its 1.9 amps per 10 hours or 31.92 amps per week....dead battery within 2 weeks of none use.

better to find an ign key activated accessory fuse in the fuse box and connect to that instead.

8. aba

aba

mine has a 3 position switch on the dash.
    position 1 is on with ignition.
    position 2 is off.
    position 3 is hab battery.

and it came from the converters wired like that as the radio is also sat nav/dvd and reversing monitor

if you forget and leave it on hab battery at least the van will start.:thumb:

9. rainbow chasers

It will more than likely be switched! It is what we do on our m/h's as they have after market units, which is usually where the problem starts as they do draw more current then factory fit when off - again, depends on the make of the unit.

Factory units 'sleep' with the vehicles normal system, lessening the load after 20-60minutes. After markets do not always do this - same as some household appliances! Factory units tend to draw if there is a fault elsewhere, usually cigarette lighter gasket.

It will get a good going over and be given a suitable resolution. There is a reason why it has no constant live feed present.