Radio reception

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Xabia, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Xabia

Xabia Funster

The old chestnut.:cry:

Originally in my A class Hymer (X250 base) I installed a single din Alpine unit, radio reception not as good as in a car but acceptable. Changed that for a Pioneer double din unit and radio reception was virtually nonexistent.

Managed to improve reception quote substantially by installing a new aerial on an unused minor chassis member close to the radiator, inside the engine compartment. Reception deteriorates when on the move, perhaps due to the fact that the coax cable has to pass through the engine compartment.

Does anyone think that I could improve things by moving the aerial to the chassis at the rear of the vehicle and running the cable through the living area, avoiding the engine bay completely, cable run would be in the region of 5 metres.

I did ask Blaupunkt if their tax disc type aerial would improve reception, but they said it would not. Don't have a Status aerial so can't use that route.

Mike

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

3. aba

aba

I have heard mixed reports on those flat windscreen types which are amplified I suppose it depends on the vehicle in question.

ideally the aerial needs to be on the outside of the bodywork as the body shell acts like a big shield if it's not.

you may get away with a towbar mounted aerial but I doubt if mounted under the rear of the van you would gain anything much as the body will screen the signals.

a good quality roof aerial mounted on the side of the front wing would be the best solution although it needs to have the screen of the cable earthed to the metal ( if you have fibreglass wings ).

easiest would be a sticky flat windscreen type.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTERNAL-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6397aeff

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  4. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

If your panel work is GRP then the radio signal should have no problem reaching the antenna but being close to alternator/main wiring loom it will pick up interference and degrade the signal,
    You can buy a aerial splitter that will allow you to attach two antenna together to feed the one radio, this way the bulk of the motor home won't block the incoming signal whichever way you are facing,
    Also if you run the power feeds from your leisure batteries then that will reduce interference and improve signal strength also using a quality inline choke will improve the signal and reduce the interference being picked up from your electrical system,
    Make sure the radio and co-axel earths are good, then with any luck you will be able to get a decent reception ,:thumb:

5. Carreraboy

Carreraboy Funster

I'm thinking about getting a DAB radio with DAB aerial in the windscreen fitted. Would be interested to know if anyone has gone down this route and results good or bad.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Thank you for the suggestion to power the radio from the leisure battery. Tried it today and it made a lot of difference, surprising how many more stations the radio picked up.

Mike

7. Dubiousp

Dubiousp Read Only Funster

Well Ive bought an amplified module off ebay so lets see what happens the company has every faith in ummm

8. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Yup - did that recently!
    A Kenwood unit, DAB digital radio, FM, CD, USB front and rear, Ipod connector, bluetooth and all sorts of other stuff! Radio reception (using the DAB windscreen aerial) is exceptional, the signal is clear, and doesn't need a retune when driving all over the place! Best £200 I have spent, and that was fitted!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

9. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I had a pillar aerial on the passenger side of my Hymer until a yob thought it would make a better coathanger! The replacement one Hymer sent to me was a Hella 'rubber duck' style amplified aerial,it worked just as well. My new Hymer,an Exsis on a Tranny with a hidden,I don't know where that is,seems to work fine. I have also fitted a Pure Highway digital adapter with the screen aerial,until now it seems to be performing reasonable well.

10. gazza280

gazza280 Read Only Funster

Bought a DAB radio for the van because I live on the coast and the signal is rubbish but I must say, what a fantastic investment for the van.
    I must have a good radio, news, sport, and music. Mine is a Pure DAB radio bought from Halfords,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_910721_langId_-1_categoryId_165655

Crystal clear sound, no fiddling about to tune in, loads more stations.
    I bought one with bluetooth for the phone but it did cost more but even the phone calls are crystal clear. Plus with bluetooth I can play my music from my phone.
    Comes with an SD card slot and I can plug a usb stick in too, so I have loads of storage for MP3 files with more music or audio books.
    I've not used the CD player yet.

If its just DAB radio and SD card slot you want, you can get them really cheap now and some come with the aerial supplied. There are different types of aerial, a window stick on one and a magnetic one. Even though my magnetic one is inside the windscreen I get perfect reception.
    They all work in Europe too.

As an example see the link. If you do get DAB you won't regret it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mutant-MT...4?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item27c757d7ea

Good luck
    Gary :thumb: