Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
The old chestnut.:cry:

Originally in my A class Hymer (X250 base) I installed a single din Alpine unit, radio reception not as good as in a car but acceptable. Changed that for a Pioneer double din unit and radio reception was virtually nonexistent.

Managed to improve reception quote substantially by installing a new aerial on an unused minor chassis member close to the radiator, inside the engine compartment. Reception deteriorates when on the move, perhaps due to the fact that the coax cable has to pass through the engine compartment.

Does anyone think that I could improve things by moving the aerial to the chassis at the rear of the vehicle and running the cable through the living area, avoiding the engine bay completely, cable run would be in the region of 5 metres.

I did ask Blaupunkt if their tax disc type aerial would improve reception, but they said it would not. Don't have a Status aerial so can't use that route.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
problem is your aerial is too low and obscured by bodywork and chassis members.

I have a standard Ford pillar aerial on the front roof end cap and it works fine
The end cap is GRP but lack of a ground plane doesnt seem to matter.

Broken Link Removed

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I have heard mixed reports on those flat windscreen types which are amplified I suppose it depends on the vehicle in question.

ideally the aerial needs to be on the outside of the bodywork as the body shell acts like a big shield if it's not.

you may get away with a towbar mounted aerial but I doubt if mounted under the rear of the van you would gain anything much as the body will screen the signals.

a good quality roof aerial mounted on the side of the front wing would be the best solution although it needs to have the screen of the cable earthed to the metal ( if you have fibreglass wings ).

easiest would be a sticky flat windscreen type.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
If your panel work is GRP then the radio signal should have no problem reaching the antenna but being close to alternator/main wiring loom it will pick up interference and degrade the signal,
You can buy a aerial splitter that will allow you to attach two antenna together to feed the one radio, this way the bulk of the motor home won't block the incoming signal whichever way you are facing,
Also if you run the power feeds from your leisure batteries then that will reduce interference and improve signal strength also using a quality inline choke will improve the signal and reduce the interference being picked up from your electrical system,
Make sure the radio and co-axel earths are good, then with any luck you will be able to get a decent reception ,:thumb:

Carreraboy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm thinking about getting a DAB radio with DAB aerial in the windscreen fitted. Would be interested to know if anyone has gone down this route and results good or bad.

OP
OP
Xabia

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
If your panel work is GRP then the radio signal should have no problem reaching the antenna but being close to alternator/main wiring loom it will pick up interference and degrade the signal,
You can buy a aerial splitter that will allow you to attach two antenna together to feed the one radio, this way the bulk of the motor home won't block the incoming signal whichever way you are facing,
Also if you run the power feeds from your leisure batteries then that will reduce interference and improve signal strength also using a quality inline choke will improve the signal and reduce the interference being picked up from your electrical system,
Make sure the radio and co-axel earths are good, then with any luck you will be able to get a decent reception ,:thumb:

Thank you for the suggestion to power the radio from the leisure battery. Tried it today and it made a lot of difference, surprising how many more stations the radio picked up.

Mike

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Well Ive bought an amplified module off ebay so lets see what happens the company has every faith in ummm

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I'm thinking about getting a DAB radio with DAB aerial in the windscreen fitted. Would be interested to know if anyone has gone down this route and results good or bad.

Yup - did that recently!
A Kenwood unit, DAB digital radio, FM, CD, USB front and rear, Ipod connector, bluetooth and all sorts of other stuff! Radio reception (using the DAB windscreen aerial) is exceptional, the signal is clear, and doesn't need a retune when driving all over the place! Best £200 I have spent, and that was fitted!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I had a pillar aerial on the passenger side of my Hymer until a yob thought it would make a better coathanger! The replacement one Hymer sent to me was a Hella 'rubber duck' style amplified aerial,it worked just as well. My new Hymer,an Exsis on a Tranny with a hidden,I don't know where that is,seems to work fine. I have also fitted a Pure Highway digital adapter with the screen aerial,until now it seems to be performing reasonable well.

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Bought a DAB radio for the van because I live on the coast and the signal is rubbish but I must say, what a fantastic investment for the van.
I must have a good radio, news, sport, and music. Mine is a Pure DAB radio bought from Halfords,

Broken Link Removed

Crystal clear sound, no fiddling about to tune in, loads more stations.
I bought one with bluetooth for the phone but it did cost more but even the phone calls are crystal clear. Plus with bluetooth I can play my music from my phone.
Comes with an SD card slot and I can plug a usb stick in too, so I have loads of storage for MP3 files with more music or audio books.
I've not used the CD player yet.

If its just DAB radio and SD card slot you want, you can get them really cheap now and some come with the aerial supplied. There are different types of aerial, a window stick on one and a magnetic one. Even though my magnetic one is inside the windscreen I get perfect reception.
They all work in Europe too.

As an example see the link. If you do get DAB you won't regret it.

Broken Link Removed

Good luck
Gary :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back