Radio reception cure

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Petest, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Petest

Petest Funster

When I picked up our van the radio reception was terrible. I was lucky if I could get a channel at all, let alone clearly.

I used some of the keys for removing the radio, removed the aerial lead from the rear and then re attached it with a little twist and turn.

Hey presto, radio reception is back.

Don't get me wrong, it's still not as good as the car radio but I get much more selection and most of the stations are crystal clear.

May be worth a go for anyone else with a coach built based on the x250

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Glad it worked for you. I fitted a wing mounted aerial and it was a pain to do and isn't any better at all.
    I bought a new Status aerial after the original one failed and on the booster box it has a connection for a radio. I was wondering if I connected it up to the radio if it would work BUT the booster doesn't work when the engine is running because of the bloody stupid Brit way of cutting the power to the hab area :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Not exactly sure what you have done? Removed aerial lead and refitted? or is a twist and turn a fitting of some kind?

We have an A class where the radio reception is either brilliant or useless with no logic as to which will apply, it would be good to fix it (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Due to go to Autosound in Bradford next week to cure our radio woes. Having a new Blaupunkt DAB radio and aerial fitted.

Will then have a Pioneer Avic pop up Radio, Multi changer CD, and combined SAT nav for sale.

5. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

after many months of trying all the usual things, new aerials/ window aerials,shielded wiring/earth points with no noticeable improvement I bit the bullet!
    I brought a quality roof Kinetic DAB/FM aerial from Dabonwheels, drilled a hole in the roof of the A class, fitted the aerial using copper tape as a ground plane under the aerial with extensions leads to reach the dash radio,
    The difference is amazing! I can get all the stations I normally listen too practically anywhere in the UK,
    Radio 1/2/3/4/5 LBC/magic/Heart/London and many more besides,
    basically it proves the adage if you want the job done right do it your self,

• Like Like x 1
  6. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

I also did the status trick and found no noticeable difference in reception before fitting a proper roof aerial, as in the post above,

7. Petest

Petest Funster

That's just it. All I did was remove the lead and then reconnect it.

I don't have the faintest idea why it's made such a difference

• Like Like x 1