Radio Only Works For 20 Minutes! (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just bought a new van conversion on a Fiat Ducato base. ( IH 600RL)
It has a fitted Fiat radio. When the ignition is switched off the radio turns itself off after 20 minutes.
The radio wants wiring to the leisure battery, does anyone know who could do this job for me in the north west?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's a feature of the radio found on most car and van radios to stop you draining the battery and not being able to start the engine when you need to. It doesn't take as long as you might think!

Deleted User
You can set your radio to stay on longer (the 20 mins is the factory setting)

Have a quick look at the Fiat radio manual (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Instructions here to extend the time.

As you say, a better long term solution would be to rewire to the leisure battery.

OP
OP
Petew
Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi TheCaller

Unfortunatly I have a more up to date radio, which does not have a FM AS button so I can't increase the time!
The manual does not tell me anything to give me more than 20 minutes playing time.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
There will be two positive wires going into the back of the radio usually red and yellow. One will be permanently positive and one only positive when ignition is on. Cut both then tape up the one from ignition and feed from the other to both possitive terminals.

Your radio will then stay on until you switch it off. It will still be connected to vehicle battery though.

You should be able to identify the wires from your manual if you can 't use a multimeter

Dick

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
We have the standard uconnect radio on a 2015 Ducato. More often than not there is a fan running behind it which we cannot work out is normal or not. It's quite loud and mainly runs with the ignition turned off. Nothing about it in the manual.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've heard the latest DAB radio you can get for the new Ducato seems to be impervious to the trick to get it to stay on longer. Permanently wiring it to the battery will work but make sure you carry jump leads!

JCT

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Sydney Australia
Funster No
MH
C class. Birdsville Elite
Exp
Since March 2012
image.jpg This worked on my 2012 Fiat Ducato motorhome but I understand not on the newer vehicles. Try it if you wish.
Best wishes from a Pom in Oz.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
We have the standard uconnect radio on a 2015 Ducato. More often than not there is a fan running behind it which we cannot work out is normal or not. It's quite loud and mainly runs with the ignition turned off. Nothing about it in the manual.
Mine too, bloody annoying. Anyone got a solution?

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
On our new Ford Transit mini-buses the radio does the same 15-20 minute turn off but if you hit the on button when the ignition is off you get the radio on for an hour. Don't know if Fiat are the same but worth a try. At least it's a sight longer before you have to hit the button again.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Because my portable radio doesn't switch off after 20 minutes or even 20 hours if necessary!:)

Furthermore it wont flatten your starter battery.:rolleyes:
Not the point I was raising, it was the fan sound (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There will be two positive wires going into the back of the radio usually red and yellow. One will be permanently positive and one only positive when ignition is on. Cut both then tape up the one from ignition and feed from the other to both possitive terminals.

Your radio will then stay on until you switch it off. It will still be connected to vehicle battery though.

You should be able to identify the wires from your manual if you can 't use a multimeter

Dick
The yellow is switched live BUT........
Connecting both yellow and red will leave the radio in PERMENANT standby/memory mode.
The amplifier will be powered even when the radio is turned off draining the battery.

I fitted an aftermarket radio and did the same wiring mod only to find the battery flat after a very short time.
The radio was drawing 195 milliamps when turned off as the amplifier was still powered up.
195ma doesnt sound much but thats per hour.
Multiply that by 168 hours (1 week) and its 32.6amps....almost 50% of an average starter battery.
Once I sorted that problem the drain dropped to 9 milliamps per hour and never had a flat battery again.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Rather than just joining red and yellow, put a switch in the line feeding what would have been the ignition controlled terminal. You then have manual control regardless of the ignition status.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I wonder if this is why our battery does not last long as we had a new radio at a show a couple of years ago and the guy said he could stop it going off after 20 minutes, which to be fair he did:LOL:

Martin

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
Yes, the fan behind the radio was running almost constantly. Fiat replaced it under warranty.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I don't know if this might help. It's from the Ducato Uconnect radio manual and indicates a Radio Off Delay sub menu. Even if it works, my understanding is that you can only prolong the inevitable, not disable the auto-off feature completely. As I haven't actually got the van yet, I can't say whether it will help or not:

To enter the "Audio" menu, press the
MORE button (9-fig. 1) on the front
panel and then select "Settings" and
"Audio", or press the MEDIA button
on the front panel and thenselect
"Audio".

The following adjustments can be
carried out using the "Audio" menu:

❒ "Equalizer" (for versions/markets,
where provided);

❒ "Balance/Fader" (left/right and
front/rear balance adjustment);