Radio in a Coach Built (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We have a Autotrail Apache and the cab radio is next to usless. I think this is due to the aerial being fitted in side next to the screen pillar. It is a 12volt powered type, has anyone else got / had problems with athe radio in a coach built. If so have you resolved it, I am thinking of getting a DAB adaptor, you fit the unit to the screen like a satnav, and then tune the radio to the dab adaptor. Anyone tried this approach?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The radio in our Autotrail was next to useless, I was told that the aerial was in or near the wing mirrror and that is why the reception was rubbish This was a new (in 2006) model. I contemplated drilling a hole in the wing and fitting one of those Halford stubby black after market aerials but I sold it before I got round to it.

At the time I put a post on motorhomefacts about it and quite a few Fiat owners responded with similar stories of poor reception. Have they sorted this out in the new model?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I did drill the hole and fit a rubber duck as there called, Sorted!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Most of the cab radios are fine for what they are - its the aerial as Jim has pointed out. Our Autosleeper Ravenna, before we got the Adria, had a similar problem until I fitted a little aftermarket aerial. Of course, if you don't want to do that - you can always just listen to CDs as it shouldn't affect that.

I was really disappointed with the audio setup in the Adria though, for an expensive van it could have been a much better head unit and the rear speakers could have had an isolator switch at the fixed bed area, as well as a power switch there. Eventually solved that one by replacing the head unit with one with a remote so its easy to switch off without having to get out of bed and walk to the front of the van tripping over the Collie etc etc.

You can also use your TV aerial as an FM aerial if you use a splitter and run a cable from the BNC connector to the radios aerial works quite well. Some TV aerial amplifiers, I think Status 530/5 amongst them, have a socket for FM reception as well. generally goes unnoticed and unused - worth a try!!

Laurie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back