Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Bolton
Funster No
MH
MAN LE160C4x4 motorhome
Exp
Since 1984 with a short break with a caravan
We are just about to set off on a four month trip around Europe and Morocco. Radio has moved on a lot lately DAB etc so what is the best radio to buy these days? What might I hope to pick up on our trip.

OP
OP
Bromleyxphil

Bromleyxphil

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Bolton
Funster No
MH
MAN LE160C4x4 motorhome
Exp
Sorry I mean a radio for the van and outside not a car type radio......hope that makes sense.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I think you might find you need LW in many parts, if you want English programs........

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The radio in the whole of France is crap. After years of trying, I've yet to find a good station for music.
We take an Ipod and books on CD.
Germany's good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are a real enthusiast give shortwave a go. There's nothing worth listening to but you'll spend so long fiddling with the aerial and finding out what frequency to be tuned into - it varies throughout the day, you won't notice the lack of programmes!

Of course true Brits will be on LW as mentioned, how else will you listen to the Archers or the Test Match? Just need a couple of well spaced trees to string the aerial from and you are away.

Or use BBC Radio iPlayer, podcasts for programmes are quite small, typically under 100 kB for a half hour programme and you don't need a fast connection. I've loaded CDs with lots of programmes like the News Quiz before leaving, which is another option.

?

Deleted User
The radio in the whole of France is crap. After years of trying, I've yet to find a good station for music.
We take an Ipod and books on CD.
Germany's good.

I would always listen to the forces radio when in Germany. Now if i have a TV with me i listen to digital radio through that but in the van i just listen to my own now via ....

Broken Link Removed

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I,ve also had no luck picking up any dab radio stations ,currently getting many options for digital uk radio through the sat reciever no bbc down in benicassim on my little 90cm dish,but heart ,talk sport absolute radio etc are ok,use the option if you have it to turn the display off to save power.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Like many, we have found DAB touch and go at best whilst on the move. We currently have a bluetooth head unit, so wife and daughter can select the music from the system in the van, which holds around 18,000 tracks of music, or if they are using the iPad abut 500 movies, although that is annoying when driving, hearing the movie, but not seeing it! :D

OP
OP
Bromleyxphil

Bromleyxphil

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Bolton
Funster No
MH
MAN LE160C4x4 motorhome
Exp
Thanks guys some very good info, I don't think I will bother with the radio. I think I will concentrate on getting Internet and using the I pad. I feel another question coming on

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
DAB is unreliable, but if you can get wi-fi go for the Roberts stream 93i. Access any radio station in the world with this thing, great speakers, including sub. If you have Spotify premium you can link.

Keith :cool:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have Spotify at home and we have both downloaded music from Spotify to access when we are offline in the van. We found it great on our last trip away although I think this only works for 30 days from memory.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Agree with other posts spotify when on the move and most english radio stations are on my sky box when on site.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
BBC Radio now not what it was...it can be difficult to find and very frustrating with poor quality...

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Standard VHF and Longwave are the main ones to have, DAB is very variable and several countries do not have it. Internet radio can be good but beware the BBC is getting tough and is barring Iplayer from overseas, and have barred their programmes form some of the internet radio services. Best to have a VPN service up your sleeve and then you can watch TV too if you wish and can get the bandwidth. Spain and Portugal have English radio stations in the holiday/expat areas and in Germany there are UK and US forces stations available in many areas

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
BBC Radio iPlayer, connect iPhone to radio bluetooth or audio in. I like radio 2 and 4, so in car or MH this works for me and very little data used. All the through Spain into France and the normal radio service in UK - sorted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back