Rad fans not switching off!

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by mikekaren2, Jul 23, 2015.

1. mikekaren2

mikekaren2 Funster

Well we are on day four of our escape to France, we have just arrived at Talmont T Hillaire & now the radiator cooling fans will not switch off, even with the ignition key is removed. The battery is being drained so after an hour I have disconnected the main battery. I am on site for 7 nights so no immediate panic. Has anyone got an idea what the cause could be? It's a 1999 Hymer 2.9 TDI diesel Fiat Ducato maxi chassis. If you suggest a part eg thermostat give me a clue where to look.

Thanks
    Mike

2. buffallobill

buffallobill

There is a 2 relays in a plastic cover near the top of radiator these are for the 2 fans . On our 2.5 fiat only 1 fan ran . The 2nd fan was for really high temp. The relays are about
    25 mm square. I think your 1st relay as stuck. Pull the 2 relays out of the pin sockets and put the 2nd fan relay into the 1st fan pin plug I think that will stop the fan continuously running, then renew when you get new relays from a auto electricians, hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mikekaren2

mikekaren2 Funster

Thanks for the reply Bill is it possible to show in a photo where I need to look, no rush but it would help if you have access to take a photo.

Mike

4. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. mikekaren2

mikekaren2 Funster

Yes that looks good, I can see the cover now, does anyone know how it is removed, clips, screws, or just pull? I don't want to break it.

Mike

6. mikekaren2

mikekaren2 Funster

Bump

7. 2bob

2bob Funster

if not that/// i go for water temperature switch /another way is pull wire off the switch to stop fan

• Like Like x 1
  8. mikekaren2

mikekaren2 Funster

Ok I have removed the relay cover (2 screws) there are 3 relays two yellow & one black just waiting for the battery to reach cranking charge so I can test the relays, I am assuming that the two yellow ones are for the two fans.
    Thanks for all of the replies.

Mike

9. mikekaren2

mikekaren2 Funster

Hopefully I am now sorted, I have swapped the relays over and used silicone grease to clean the contacts. Ran the engine while in situ & all seems well. The real test will be when I leave site on Thursday & have a proper road test. Thanks again for all of the advice.

:inlove::dance:

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Keep an eye on the temp in case the lower temp fan DOESNT kick in.

No reason why it shouldnt but a glance is cheaper than a cylinder head gasket.