RAC rip-off

Discussion in 'Fifth Wheelers' started by syranara, Jan 30, 2012.

1. syranara

syranara Read Only Funster

Ok so I know this has been done to the death over the years but tonight I had a phone call from the RAC regarding the renewal of the Arrival/roadside assistance that we have had for the past few years.?

Apparently unless we take out full UK cover we can no longer have the Arrival. I explained that we are already fully covered by my bank's recovery insurance in the UK but that was not good enough. Basically either we take out full UK cover with them or we go elsewhere.

Is there anywhere else?

We use Camptons for our truck and 5er insurance - it is just European breakdown that we want to cover.

I realise Camptons now do European recovery but the maximum length is only 23 feet!

Do we have any other choice than the RAC?

2. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

RAC Arrivals is a rip off
    they tried to charge me £170
    I canceled it

i am not planning to go to Europe this year and dont do many miles so will risk it for a few months

they charge so much and do it on fear
    i service and repair at any cost so the MH should not have any problems
    hope i do not live to regret it :Rofl1::Rofl1:

3. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

=====

How about ADAC. German partners of AA. Full European cover on the ADAC PLUS service package. . Giving full breakdown cover for all of Europe , Around 98 euro per annum .

• Like Like x 3
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

cant figure out where the price difference comes from.....

if you take regular cover for your car it is a set price depending on cover required...same price for everyone.

i'm with Arrivals for my second year and paid £72 the first year......£78 the second year, which is a normal 'inflationary' price increase and would expect a similar price at renewal this year.

where do these 3 figure prices come from ?

5. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Adac covers you whatever vehicle you are in so no need for separate cover for each vehicle... :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. stcyr

stcyr Funster

... and medical repatriation anywhere in the world, pet repatriation etc etc

• Like Like x 1
  7. pappajohn

so does arrivals.....ANY vehicle except commercial goods vehicles, whether you own the vehicle or not, driving or not.

personal cover :thumb:

8. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

====

Yes , thats one of the good aspects of ADAC . There are also a lot of worthwhile "extras" in the package . Not bad for the annual cost .

9. stcyr

stcyr Funster

'Arrivals' won't cover for vehicles like ours - too many restrictions :Sad:

10. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

11. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

According to the ADAC website, you have to have a German address, so how does that work then?

12. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Unfortunately, ADAC have size restrictions and would not cover your fiver.

We are with RAC Arrivals, but when I spoke to George in Dehli, he assured me that we would be covered for a fifth wheel, don't think he realised what one was, so to be on the safe side, we also registered with RAC Commercial. No fee up front but they do give you the costs should you breakdown, not cheap, but at least you would know that you are covered for recovery, however I think we did this through our business, so if you have a business, or can poport (spelling) to have a business , you may be able to get cover like that, it's better than being broken down on a motorway. They also cover for European breakdown.

We also have European cover with ADAC as RAC will only cover you for 90 day trips, but we are right on the limit, this is with our truck and camper, 11' high 24' long.

Nigel and Pamala

13. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

14. pappajohn

cant see any restrictions in their terms and conditions......just the opposite.

Attached Files:

15. nifty fifty

nifty fifty Funster

i can second that i have a 5 year no callout discount and feb 2012 arrival renewal £174.!!!! i have cancelled and contacted A D A C 98 euro promt reply with emailed form for payment attached.

have not joined yet but i will befor traveling unless i find something better

16. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Just did a RAC Arrivals quote without Euro Cover, me only driver, £160.23.....:thumbdown:

17. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Although we have an address in France we are seldom there - I just called Barbara Laurens (who speaks excellent English on 0049 941 55673.
    She just asked for my and wife's names and took my English debit card details, and one of our son's address in Wales, which took all of 3 minutes including the social niceties. She called me back within 10 minutes to tell me our membership numbers and that we would be fully covered from midnight. Within 5 days we received the cards and paperwork as she'd promised.

:thumb:

18. stcyr

stcyr Funster

ADAC : (for motorhomes) Max 7.5t / 2.55m W / 3.22m H / 10m L

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

19. sedge

sedge Funster

Our RAC covers 2 people, Pete's had it since before we got together (1998) and it was renewed in about September at exactly £160.

We've always stayed RAC because as well as breakdown, they will recover a motorbike following a crash. It's a bit hard getting em home otherwise. Esp when you are on a stretcher. They take em into storage then keep ringing you till you are in a position to say please take it to wherever.

Wonder whether ADAC do that? - no-one else does in UK.

20. syranara

syranara Read Only Funster

Thanks all for your input.

I still haven't made up my mind. I will take a look at ADAC.

My main problem with the RAC is that they were quite happy with the arrangement we had for the first couple of years or so but have now decided to change the 'rules' and insist that we cannot have European cover without Full UK cover and that the Roadside cover would no longer suffice.

Call me stubborn or whatever but I just don't like being told that I have to duplicate a cover that I already hold (I have full UK cover with my bank) in order to have European cover. Sounds a bit like blackmail to me :Angry: