RAC European Breakdown Cover - Impressed by Countries Included (1 Viewer)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I think the T & Cs for the RAC Arrival scheme depends on who you got it through. Under C&CC memebership there is no age restriction on motorhomes and it says specifically that motorhomes over 11 years old are covered. They also cover a towed vehicle. There is a Fair Use clause but its terms seem reasonable and I cant see anywhere a limitation on trips of 90 days maximum. Here is the document itself -. Anyone spot any caveats? Like to know as I'm about to go for it. AA with whom I've been a car member for years wouldn't touch "Rolling Home" as she is over the height and weight restrictions.

Attachments

• 150612-final-cropped-Ts-Cs.pdf
    412.5 KB · Views: 11

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
R

RAC Advantage T&Cs not limited to 90 day EU trip?
Not with Comfort I think there may be a limit on the insurance policy of a max of 9 months. Also the Comfort deal covers Morocco (you have to pay then claim back) and part of Russia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Have to go back over my paperwork as that's why we cancelled after having been with them for years. However we were paying £234.00 a year for it to include European cover (maybe that's where the over 11 years old came into effect - for overseas cover), we now get it included with our vehicle insurance and also covered with Nationwide free with their Flexplus account.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have to go back over my paperwork as that's why we cancelled after having been with them for years. However we were paying £234.00 a year for it to include European cover (maybe that's where the over 11 years old came into effect - for overseas cover), we now get it included with our vehicle insurance and also covered with Nationwide free with their Flexplus account.
Have you looked at changing your insurance Comfort prices are very competitive and the breakdown cover is only £60 could work out a lot cheaper even if you have to pay a £25-£50 exit fee.

Reactions: DBK

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Have you looked at changing your insurance Comfort prices are very competitive and the breakdown cover is only £60 could work out a lot cheaper even if you have to pay a £25-£50 exit fee.
Thanks, that's exactly what we have had to do, although the CC insurance team didn't charge us the £25 cancellation fee as we hadn't yet started our cover (they could have though if they had wanted to! .... so thanks CC). Comfort were very easy to deal with and answered all our questions, including "How come RAC will not cover our van at 7.4m and that's who you use?" Answer " We use RAC commercial which has no limits".

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Update on RAC Arrival T&Cs. Their version on the RAC website the C&CC links to is 115004013 attached below. This does say trips are maximum 90 days with maximum one callout per trip for European cover. However the Club T&C's which I posted earlier says "
e. Separate Terms and Conditions are issued for
Annual European Cover which should be read in
conjunction with these Terms in this booklet.
If there is a conflict between these Terms and the
RAC European Cover Terms, then these Terms
will prevail.

As those terms include a Fair Use of 6 callouts per year then that would appear to override the RAC standard T&Cs.

I have emailed the RAC for clarification and will post once I get an answer.

@Andy in Lossie how did you get on with ADAC in the end? Their English terms and conditions look far better than anyone else I've come across but the possible language barrier is a pause for thought.

Attachments

• 115004013-Arrival-Policy-Document.pdf
    394.5 KB · Views: 6
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Update on RAC Arrival T&Cs. Their version on the RAC website the C&CC links to is 115004013 attached below. This does say trips are maximum 90 days with maximum one callout per trip for European cover. However the Club T&C's which I posted earlier says "
will prevail.

As those terms include a Fair Use of 6 callouts per year then that would appear to override the RAC standard T&Cs.

I have emailed the RAC for clarification and will post once I get an answer.

@Andy in Lossie how did you get on with ADAC in the end? Their English terms and conditions look far better than anyone else I've come across but the possible language barrier is a pause for thought.
No problem with language at all,,Most of their staff speak perfect English..BUSBY.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I'm currently reading through policy documents in order to renew.

C&CC insurance premium is less than half others I have been quoted. When I mentioned that RAC breakdown cover at £79 would have time and trip restrictions, I was told to ring RAC direct and they would provide an extended period of cover, with 25% discount for being insured with C&CC.

Haven't read all the bumph yet - spending too much time on here:LOL:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Do comfort have a limit on age of vehicle?

Don't know.. my van is 15 yo ..
give them a call..

If you have any questions regarding our policies, or motorhome insurance in general, don’t hesitate to give us a call on 0800 0304 206 or 020 8984 0777 , our friendly, UK based experts will be ready at the end of the line, with the answers to your questions!

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit

Robin,
I didn't opt for ADAC in the end as their T&Cs and their sales department, on the phone, both said that their single trip limits were for 92 days away from your residence. The lady said that as long as we spent one day back in the UK (not even at our residence ... in Northern Scotland!) the clock would re-set. As we will be over wintering in southern EU, we couldn't take a chance on ADAC, great policy that it is. We ended up cancelling our CC insurance and going with comfort.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Ok thanks for all that feedback, having just swapped insurance companies once already (along story regarding VIN based insurance etc etc) think I'll stick with the C&CC insurance and get RAC non-European for this year and consult with Comfort next year. Of course if the two lottery emails I've received while I'm at work turn out to be anything substantial there might be an earlier change....

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
will prevail.

I have emailed the RAC for clarification and will post once I get an answer..

So far not a peep out of the RAC customer support, so that's not too encouraging....

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
When I mentioned that RAC breakdown cover at £79 would have time and trip restrictions, I was told to ring RAC direct and they would provide an extended period of cover, with 25% discount for being insured with C&CC.
Update from RAC: I was quoted £233 after applying the C&CC discount:censored: I told the operator about the ADAC cover so he took some notes saying it was part of his job to assess the competition :D

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
@Cavs @Andy in Lossie
Finally a reply from the RAC!!
Quote:-
Thank you for your enquiry received on 21 April 2016.

Re - 'This relates to RAC Arrival membership via the Camping and caravanning Club. I'm trying to understand a couple of anomalies between the T&C's. In the Ärrival Cover to Cover document its states that motorhomes are covered up to 6 callouts a year but in the European T&Cs it says one callout per trip and limits trips to 90 days duration though the C&CC site refers to 365 days European cover. Can you clarify please if this 90 day trip limit and one callout per 90 day trip applies to C&CC members covered by Arrival? Thanks & Best regards.'

I can confirm If there is a conflict between the RAC Arrival Membership Terms and Conditions and the RAC European Cover Terms and Conditions then the European Cover Terms and Conditions will prevail.

That said, restricting European Breakdown Cover use to 1 call out per trip and max trip length 90 days doesn't actually conflict with the Arrival terms.
There are no restrictions on how often you can go abroad, so the “5 call outs per year” would apply.

Unquote

So from that I can go on max 90 day trips as long as I don't have more than one breakdown during the trip..... but then if I've had a breakdown which is sorted and I continue my trip I'm not covered either way, I'd have to go back to the UK immediately after the breakdown. Quick return trip via the chunnel and I'm tickety boo again.. :LOL::LOL:
Shades of the guys who live out here doing visa runs to Cambodia every few months....:cycle:

I think Comfort is calling for next years insurance/recovery....

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back