pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i had cause, today, to call on my RAC Arrivals cover.:Sad:

i was in my car in town and the temp gauge shot off the scale....radiator completely cabbaged.

anyway, i rang RAC and told them the problem, the lady told me it would be approx 1hr 15mins before the driver got to me.
as it was he rang within 5 mins to get finer details and arrange to meet him at the car.

he arrived a few mins later, very freindly and helpful bloke, lowered towing dolly, brill bit of self contained kit (auto box so no flat towing), winched me on and off we go.

from initial call to getting the car in my garage at home.....less than 45 mins.

brilliant service and a few mins explaining things to the operator when you call will get the correct vehicle first time.

an hour later the rads on the bench and awaiting a new one on wednesday:thumb:

this one callout has re-couped my subscription charge.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I'll second that!

Had a puncture on Winne on route up to Scotland, OK not so quick, we were on the M6 approx J43, but the chap listened and sent a suitable bod out, contractor from local Egertons firm, with the right kit for the job, 6731kg RV, and had us running again very quickly, fortunatly it was near side so no lane closing:thumb:

As an aside, the highways agency truned up (happened by?) shortly after we stopped, nice chap, checked we were OK and called back about an hour later just to check we're OK again.

As an extra aside, Egertons bloke recommended Gates Tyres in Carlisle for a tyre, RV, 19.5 (odd size). Well, needless to say they didn't have one but they knew what they were looking at and got us one in to pick up as we came back down, and also in case we had another tyre go so we had one waiting in the wings so to speak. Bit pricey I thought at £260, but for piece of mind.

PS when I say puncture, tyre developed a buldge the size of half a rugby ball on (fortunatly) the inner edge of a rear inner wheel, which caused me to stop. I tryed to crawl to the next junction, which was a mile ish away, crawl, in gear (auto) foot on brake lightly, so crawl. Got about ten yards then BANG:Eeek: very close to new underwear time:whatthe: and an approx 10" split around the tyre with bits of the steel reinforcing sticking out. Thankfully no damage, apart from knackered tyre.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
lucky you stopped and spotted it before it went bang.....could have been nasty.

i saw the aftermath of tony santaras mini-winnie after a rear blowout.....rear wheel arch pretty badly damaged and the fresh water filler ripped out by flailing rubber. :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We've had full RAC cover for over 10 years now and I must say the last 2 occasions I needed them they were dreadful......the Smart broke down about a year ago in Lichfield, Staffs.......phoned them, no problem, recovery will be an hour and a half. OK, wait and wait ....and wait.....no updates......several phone calls later, the RAC had sent a van to LiTchfield near Andover......about 200 miles from where we were. :Sad:
6 Hours from initial call....apologetic driver arrives (not the same one they sent to Andover, apparently......) It was a dead battery cell, they replaced battery and off we went. After 6+ hours. Made a formal complaint and was given a years free subscription and written apology. :Doh::Doh:

Next time round I just got endless messages when I phoned, telling me how busy they were and would reply when available. I hung on for 45 minutes; Jen phoned on a second phone and waited for 30 minutes - we both gave up in the end. :Eeek: I managed to get the car going somehow, eventually, after muddling about with WD40 and various connectors (it was an ancient Land Rover). RACs response was that I couldn't prove we had ever phoned or waited and that they time their response from when they actually answer, not from when the piped message pops up.....:Doh:

The MH is covered by AA via the insurance policy, never needed it yet, touch wood. I think they're all pretty useless quite often now, particularly during the recession as they have laid off response vans and staff across the industry and in the call centres...:Eeek:

Nice that some people get a good result sometimes, though....:thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Had some good service from the RAC....Also some very poor...

The last time was on New Years hols coming back from seeing the family.....

Only 15 miles from home I lost a tyre on the trailer.....Had a spare on me but could not remove the bolts....

Rang and rang....Gave up in the end and. with the help of a nearby landowner providing a special socket, managed to get the b++++y thing changed myself...

The kids were well fed up.

Glad it worked for you.

:thumb:Steve.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
lucky you stopped and spotted it before it went bang.....could have been nasty.

i saw the aftermath of tony santaras mini-winnie after a rear blowout.....rear wheel arch pretty badly damaged and the fresh water filler ripped out by flailing rubber. :Eeek:

Lucky? Absolutly, the guy was amazed no damage until I pointed out I'd realised there was a problem and was crawling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back