bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I was just trying to buy RAC Arrival cover (a bit of a chore as another policy was running and they got confused) and we were going through all the details. Then 'Michelle' said. Cover in Europe is 90 days any one trip... What I asked??? When it is through the Camping and Caravanning Club? Yes. Anyway, not taken out the cover. Did you all know about this? Jane :Eeek:

Just double checked.... and only one call out per trip.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I was just trying to buy RAC Arrival cover (a bit of a chore as another policy was running and they got confused) and we were going through all the details. Then 'Michelle' said. Cover in Europe is 90 days any one trip... What I asked??? When it is through the Camping and Caravanning Club? Yes. Anyway, not taken out the cover. Did you all know about this? Jane :Eeek:

Heck no - first I have heard of it - maybe this is something new !!! As far as we have always been concerned it is the same as our RAC cover - 365 days - have to look into that one :Eeek: Thanks for posting

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Be FUN to post this on the CCC forum if they have one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just been on to the RAC and yes that is correct... 90 Days.. :cry:

We should have been informed when we joined a few years ago.. which we and I suspect a lot of others were "NOT"... :Angry:

So be careful and get the appropriate cover for the duration of your trip abroad from some one else..

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of members..

What a good club.. :thumb:

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
What about using ADAC instead Jane. Ive heard that this is a good service and its German:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi Sonja, I think we will stick with Saga Breakdown Policy - Motorhome Assistance Plus
Cover 365 days a year UK and Europe no time limit. ::bigsmile: £87.95

Just got our renewal and thought about changing but seems all about the same, might save a shilling here and there, but not much in it. :Doh:

Comprehensive £372.76

And the trailer cover has gone down this year :thumb:
Detached Trailer UK and Europe insured for £1250.................£13.25 ::bigsmile: Bob.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Were with ADAC, it worked out a lot cheaper than RAC and it covers you for medical repatriation too.

I think it was about 80-90 euros and covers both of us, in this country too.

Pat

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Also Arrival is limited to the UK only. In Europe there is no recovery to campsite en route.

Eddie

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
WOW, well what a turn up just as many of the snowbirds are heading off to the sun, I have also got arrivals through c&cc, but also have ADAC as a back up, but no good for towing or recovery as my RV is outside there limits, so may need to call out (if necessary) ADAC first then arrivals if need towing or recovery and just hope don't need 2nd recovery or towing,Link RemovedLink Removed or change insurance company's and give caravan Guard a call (Link to site below) they give 180 days cover both on RV insurance cover and European breakdown and recovery??????? check for yourselves people but thanks too bobandjane for bringing this very important situation to our attention, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/motorh...ance/index.php

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Also Arrival is limited to the UK only. In Europe there is no recovery to campsite en route.

Eddie

I don't understand this post Eddie. We have been covered by Arrival in Europe for the past three years (or at least I think we have).
Jim
:Smile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

Eddie

I think you may be mistaken Eddie... arrivals through the RAC and you must be a member of the Camping & Caravanning Club UK to get any size vehicle UK and continent..:thumb:

But until Bob & Jane bought up the 90 day thing seemed like a good thing..

But now with the 90 days is not so good for "Snowbirds"..

That is how it was explained an hour or so ago..

Might be OK for anybody just going to the continent for a few weeks or the 90 day limit..

But I and I think a lot more were not aware of the 90 day limit. which looks as if a lot will be dropping the Arrivals system and possibly the CC&C ..

I only kept a member of the CC&C so I could claim the RAC Arrivals and will not renew with either when due..:Sad:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Ive just had a word with June who has done all of the bookings with Arrivals. She was aware of the 90 day limit and that was ok because we were only going for 90 days.

Iv'e looked at the membership card and book and it says UK and European.

There is recovery from Europe to the UK. Unless my circumstances change ie were going for more than 90 days, Arrivals is fine for us.
Jim

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I think what Eddie meant is that the 'ARRIVALS' bit is not valid outside UK.

Th arrivals bit is the bit that takes you and your rig to a prebooked campsite (not a local garage) if they can't fix at roadside.

If that IS what eddie meant and is true then even poorer cover.

Do ADAC have weight/size limits?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Th arrivals bit is the bit that takes you and your rig to a prebooked campsite (not a local garage) if they can't fix at roadside.

Have used ADAC for several years and used there services several times.
Weight limit is 7500kgs and I think 11 metres,but not sure about the size without getting all the paperwork out. Its the member that's covered not the vehicle,so any vehicle the member is traveling in is covered up to 7500kgs.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
we are with ADAC, they are german, if you get picked up on a breakdown truck, you may have to invade Poland on the way home, and they will have probably bombed your chip shop when you get there...but they are cheap:ROFLMAO:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Bryan I think its motorhomes to a max of 3.2m maybe 3.3 and a limit of 7.5 tons, would need to look at paperwork.

Pat

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

I thought that Arrivals was the RAC Scheme name for their Breakdown and Recovery Service. Arrivals will recover and deliver you to anywhere you like.
Jim

Deleted User
When I enquired about Arrival three years ago the 90 day trip limit was explained to me and I was informed that ferry bookings would be checked and if only one way crossing booked then not covered at all.

ADAC limits are:-
The motor vehicle driven by you – as an ADAC member holding a valid
driver’s licence – at the time of the incident, if immobilised on a public road
in Germany following a breakdown or accident. The cover extends to motor
vehicles not requiring registration. It includes the attached trailer with no
more than one axle. Axles which are less than 1.00m apart are regarded as
one axle. Cover is provided for vehicles with no more than 9 seats (including
the driver's seat) and of 2.55m maximum width, 10m maximum total length,
3m maximum height and 3.5t maximum gross weight, and for motorhomes
listed on the registration certificate up to a width of 3.2m and up to a gross
weight of 7.5t. All dimensions indicated are inclusive of the load. Cover is not
provided for: scrap value vehicles, vehicles (or their cargo) confiscated or
seized by the police, vehicles used for the commercial transport of persons
(except taxis), vehicles during road testing and delivery drives (red dealers’
plates for recurring use) and unregistered vehicles.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don't understand this post Eddie. We have been covered by Arrival in Europe for the past three years (or at least I think we have).
Jim

Yep the same as us, since 2002 we have been members of the Arrival scheme through the Caravan & Camping Club

When we joined we were led to believe that arrival meant that if we broke down en route and the van couldn't be fixed in 24 hours, we would be taken to our destination and the problem sorted out later, or at worse case the motorhome be repatriated at the end of the trip.

We spent 8 days in August, the first eight days of our holiday, in Cherbourg waiting for spares and the garage to fix the Winnebago.

Arrival only operates in the UK and again only for a limited range to the "pre-booked" campsite.

So you buy Arrival, pay extra for the European option, but the European option excludes the "arrival option" which is a con as the scheme is called "Arrival"

Swapping letters with customer services as we speak, due to the very poor service we recieved and the ambiguity of the Arrival scheme, which should be called " Stay where you are on your own" scheme in Europe

Eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I thought that Arrivals was the RAC Scheme name for their Breakdown and Recovery Service. Arrivals will recover and deliver you to anywhere you like.
Jim

No, only in the UK, see above post

It was rubbish to be honest.

Eddie

deckie

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Clubman GL
Exp
46 yrs
What about using ADAC instead Jane. Ive heard that this is a good service and its German:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But they bombed our 'Chippy' ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

I'm new here, so have i broken many rules, (not allowed to say that, gone off topic etc)
Going to sit on the 'naughty step', now in case :Blush:
Brian

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Just to clarify, ADAC cover ALL of europe, including the UK where their agent is usually the AA, my cover (full bifta) was 79e i seem to remember, english speaking operators.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

I canceld my RAC arival cover they are charging £171.00 a year bloody rip off

i pay to keep it in first class condition so i do not need the cover if some thing goes wrong will fix it as and when
they doubled the insurance from £332.00 to £848/a year

its getting crazy the way they are upping the rates year on year
insurance choice is not one i would recommend to others

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
But they bombed our 'Chippy' ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

I'm new here, so have i broken many rules, (not allowed to say that, gone off topic etc)
Going to sit on the 'naughty step', now in case :Blush:
Brian

Just get yer coat.............:getmecoat:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I have just this minute e.mailed the RAC and copied & Pasted the link to this thread and also the one running on the "RVOC"

My main beef is that as with others I was definatley "NOT" told about the 90 day and only one call out when abroad..

I have only ever used them once and that was in this country, for a puncture.. So they have not done bad out of me over a few years.

I have also E.mailed the AA, and asked them if they do a similar scheme for us bigger boys especially when we go on the continent for the winter IE: 3-6 months.

I will post if and when I get a responce from both the RAC & The AA.... :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Have covered this issue before

Owning an RV and using it in France most years recovery to me is number one issue. Being a retired lawyer I have spent many a day reading contracts and small print. So it is no suprise that I have looked at all the various recovery services out there.

Everyone has there own idea of what they need and want to pay. Given my RV is one of the smaller one's at 24' long.. but 45' with the trailer.. I do fit within the ADAC requirements (wing mirrors fold in as I have a B class Winnebago).. so I have that, which also doubles up in the UK ..have myself and SWMBO on the cover and there is a discount for disabled drivers.

But my main RV insurance is with Safeguard.. not the cheapest and yes have had quotes far lower. But safeguard have unlimited recovery in Europe and UK. It is via the AA (much like the old AA truck start years back)... it is part of the main insurance package.

There are some strange issues in the policy which I have taken up with Safeguard a few times. i.e if you are under 3.5 tons there is a cap on recovery off a motorway of £250 where as if you are over 3.5 tons (which I am) then the cap is £1,000 .... but the main thing is that there is no limit on the total recovery back to the UK. When I spoke the CC&C a while back they have a total cap of £2k I asked them to tell me how they could recover an RV from say the end of Italy back .. they said oh you have to pay the extra... I then asked the avarage recovery cost and that was £3k.

Safeguard no limit... but it does cost about £100 more a year than most of the other companies. But the cover is better. Add ADAC and I have my saftey blanket. ADAC is much more than a recovery / breakdown service. Easy to use and they do speak English, you also get an 0800 number in the UK...and yes it goes to the AA, who cover for them in the UK.

Always read the small print. You will be amazed at some of the exclusion clauses in the policies.

Bob:Sad:

deckie

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Clubman GL
Exp
46 yrs
Just get yer coat.............:getmecoat:

Hi Popeye
Getting my coat now :ROFLMAO:
Sorry for the delay in replying, but i'm still finding my way around the forum, (should have gone to 'specsavers ::bigsmile:)'
Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back