RAC Arrival only 90 days?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by bobandjanie, Oct 12, 2011.

1. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

I was just trying to buy RAC Arrival cover (a bit of a chore as another policy was running and they got confused) and we were going through all the details. Then 'Michelle' said. Cover in Europe is 90 days any one trip... What I asked??? When it is through the Camping and Caravanning Club? Yes. Anyway, not taken out the cover. Did you all know about this? Jane :Eeek:

Just double checked.... and only one call out per trip.

2. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Heck no - first I have heard of it - maybe this is something new !!! As far as we have always been concerned it is the same as our RAC cover - 365 days - have to look into that one :Eeek: Thanks for posting

• Like Like x 1
  3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Be FUN to post this on the CCC forum if they have one

• Like Like x 1
  4. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

What about using ADAC instead Jane. Ive heard that this is a good service and its German:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Just been on to the RAC and yes that is correct... 90 Days.. :cry:

We should have been informed when we joined a few years ago.. which we and I suspect a lot of others were "NOT"... :Angry:

So be careful and get the appropriate cover for the duration of your trip abroad from some one else..

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of members..

What a good club.. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi Sonja, I think we will stick with Saga Breakdown Policy - Motorhome Assistance Plus
    Cover 365 days a year UK and Europe no time limit. :BigGrin: £87.95

Just got our renewal and thought about changing but seems all about the same, might save a shilling here and there, but not much in it. :Doh:

Comprehensive £372.76

And the trailer cover has gone down this year :thumb:
    Detached Trailer UK and Europe insured for £1250.................£13.25 :BigGrin: Bob.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

Were with ADAC, it worked out a lot cheaper than RAC and it covers you for medical repatriation too.

I think it was about 80-90 euros and covers both of us, in this country too.

Pat

• Like Like x 1
  8. madbluemad

madbluemad

Does ADAC cover UK as well as European breakdown.
    Jim
    :Smile:

9. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Also Arrival is limited to the UK only. In Europe there is no recovery to campsite en route.

Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  10. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

WOW, well what a turn up just as many of the snowbirds are heading off to the sun, I have also got arrivals through c&cc, but also have ADAC as a back up, but no good for towing or recovery as my RV is outside there limits, so may need to call out (if necessary) ADAC first then arrivals if need towing or recovery and just hope don't need 2nd recovery or towing,[​IMG][​IMG] or change insurance company's and give caravan Guard a call (Link to site below) they give 180 days cover both on RV insurance cover and European breakdown and recovery??????? check for yourselves people but thanks too bobandjane for bringing this very important situation to our attention, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/motorh...ance/index.php

11. madbluemad

madbluemad

I don't understand this post Eddie. We have been covered by Arrival in Europe for the past three years (or at least I think we have).
    Jim

12. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I think you may be mistaken Eddie... arrivals through the RAC and you must be a member of the Camping & Caravanning Club UK to get any size vehicle UK and continent..:thumb:

But until Bob & Jane bought up the 90 day thing seemed like a good thing..

But now with the 90 days is not so good for "Snowbirds"..

That is how it was explained an hour or so ago..

Might be OK for anybody just going to the continent for a few weeks or the 90 day limit..

But I and I think a lot more were not aware of the 90 day limit. which looks as if a lot will be dropping the Arrivals system and possibly the CC&C ..

I only kept a member of the CC&C so I could claim the RAC Arrivals and will not renew with either when due..:Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  13. madbluemad

madbluemad

Ive just had a word with June who has done all of the bookings with Arrivals. She was aware of the 90 day limit and that was ok because we were only going for 90 days.

Iv'e looked at the membership card and book and it says UK and European.

There is recovery from Europe to the UK. Unless my circumstances change ie were going for more than 90 days, Arrivals is fine for us.
    Jim

14. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

I think what Eddie meant is that the 'ARRIVALS' bit is not valid outside UK.

Th arrivals bit is the bit that takes you and your rig to a prebooked campsite (not a local garage) if they can't fix at roadside.

If that IS what eddie meant and is true then even poorer cover.

Do ADAC have weight/size limits?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have used ADAC for several years and used there services several times.
    Weight limit is 7500kgs and I think 11 metres,but not sure about the size without getting all the paperwork out. Its the member that's covered not the vehicle,so any vehicle the member is traveling in is covered up to 7500kgs.

16. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

we are with ADAC, they are german, if you get picked up on a breakdown truck, you may have to invade Poland on the way home, and they will have probably bombed your chip shop when you get there...but they are cheap:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

Bryan I think its motorhomes to a max of 3.2m maybe 3.3 and a limit of 7.5 tons, would need to look at paperwork.

Pat

18. madbluemad

madbluemad

I thought that Arrivals was the RAC Scheme name for their Breakdown and Recovery Service. Arrivals will recover and deliver you to anywhere you like.
    Jim

19. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    When I enquired about Arrival three years ago the 90 day trip limit was explained to me and I was informed that ferry bookings would be checked and if only one way crossing booked then not covered at all.

ADAC limits are:-
    The motor vehicle driven by you – as an ADAC member holding a valid
    driver’s licence – at the time of the incident, if immobilised on a public road
    in Germany following a breakdown or accident. The cover extends to motor
    vehicles not requiring registration. It includes the attached trailer with no
    more than one axle. Axles which are less than 1.00m apart are regarded as
    one axle. Cover is provided for vehicles with no more than 9 seats (including
    the driver's seat) and of 2.55m maximum width, 10m maximum total length,
    3m maximum height and 3.5t maximum gross weight, and for motorhomes
    listed on the registration certificate up to a width of 3.2m and up to a gross
    weight of 7.5t. All dimensions indicated are inclusive of the load. Cover is not
    provided for: scrap value vehicles, vehicles (or their cargo) confiscated or
    seized by the police, vehicles used for the commercial transport of persons
    (except taxis), vehicles during road testing and delivery drives (red dealers’
    plates for recurring use) and unregistered vehicles.

• Like Like x 1
  20. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Yep the same as us, since 2002 we have been members of the Arrival scheme through the Caravan & Camping Club

When we joined we were led to believe that arrival meant that if we broke down en route and the van couldn't be fixed in 24 hours, we would be taken to our destination and the problem sorted out later, or at worse case the motorhome be repatriated at the end of the trip.

We spent 8 days in August, the first eight days of our holiday, in Cherbourg waiting for spares and the garage to fix the Winnebago.

Arrival only operates in the UK and again only for a limited range to the "pre-booked" campsite.

So you buy Arrival, pay extra for the European option, but the European option excludes the "arrival option" which is a con as the scheme is called "Arrival"

Swapping letters with customer services as we speak, due to the very poor service we recieved and the ambiguity of the Arrival scheme, which should be called " Stay where you are on your own" scheme in Europe

Eddie

• Like Like x 2