Quickie: Sending Docs to Swansea

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by emmitdb, Jan 29, 2015.

1. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

The detail is in the title.

Sending off the whole raft of docs. to Swansea to change Taxation class. This includes Log Book (quaint!) Cert. of Ins. and MOT

Do I trust to luck or send it 'Signed For'?

I appreciate that it could, might, possibly, will (cross off all that do not apply)
    fall into the Black Hole as it crosses the border into Wales but which postal service would you go for.

All replies gratefully received.

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I sent mine off in early December to change the GVW via Special Delivery and had them back in 10 days. I suppose all that means though is that Royal Mail guarantee that they get there, not that the DVLA won't lose them. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  3. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Special Delivery every time! Worth the cost for peace of mind.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Definitely "Special Next Day Delivery", about £7

When you use this service, your package goes into a special bag! If you use Recorded signed for delivery your package goes with all the other mail.

We sold our van last October and sent off the V5 by the latter method, 1st class.

About 10 days later, I checked with Royal Mail tracker and my letter had not been delivered. I called Royal Mail and was told that I must wait 15 working days before they were able to investigate.

In the meantime, I received a road tax refund by cheque from DVLA. According to the Royal Mail my letter has still not been delivered to this day!!!!!

DON'T RISK IT!

• Like Like x 2
  5. NickNic

I'm sure it was mentioned on a thread a while ago that DVLA don't actually sign for anything regardless of how it's sent due to the volume they receive. It's just less likely that Royal Mail will lost it before it gets there with Special Delivery.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Signed for, recorded...a waste of time.

Swansea will receive hundreds, if not thousands, of letters each day in sacks.
    How are they supposed to sign for every letter.

Can't see special delivery being any different.

In their eyes, If it goes awol in the post it's your fault.
    If they receive it and it goes awol in their system it's still your fault.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickNic

When we were putting a private plate on one of our vehicles I sent everything in and in due course got a new V5 and a new tax disc back. No problems.
    About three weeks later I received another envelope from them containing the the original paperwork I had sent them, minus the old tax disc, together with a covering letter rejecting the application because I hadn't included the old tax disc. :doh:

Several amusing phone calls later I was not to worry, they didn't know what had happened and to throw the second letter in the bin.

They have plenty of scope for cock ups without Royal Mail helping.

• Like Like x 4
  8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I sent off our docs to DVLA last year, 3 weeks later I had heard nothing, so I phoned them. Nothing received they claimed. So I sent off the new keeper supplement, but this time used recorded delivery.
    Another 3 weeks passed and still nothing, so I phoned again, still claimed not to have received them. This time I gave them the name of the person who signed for the docs, and the exact time and date that they had arrived.
    Miraculously my new docs arrived within a week!

• Like Like x 1
  9. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Right, The results are in (before I freeze my nuts off going to the P.O.)
    Send Supa Dupa Post costing an arm and leg 3 Votes
    Send 'Signed for' 2 Votes
    Send ordinary post 1 Vote
    Didn't give an answer 1 Vote

I think I'll pin the envelope on the Welsh Cob in the field next door and give it's ar$e a slap. I reckon he's got more idea than Royal Mail in getting to Swansea.

• Like Like x 2
  10. LARRY99

LARRY99 Funster Life Member

Sent my v5 away on jan 6th,, came back yesterday .

Ordinary mail/ post

Think it,s just pot luck with both the dvla/ post

Atb lau(y)

11. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Remember to COPY EVERYTHING, especially driving licences as they also forget entitlements,

• Like Like x 1
  12. Terry

Terry Funster

As already been said they don't sign for any mail they get -simply too many -it may be a good idea to keep a photo copy anything you send -not that they will take any notice of copies if it goes tits up -but at least you have copies ;):D
    I have just received a letter asking me to tax a van that ran out in November or declare it SORN -Tried online but it's above a mth ago so cannot SORN it -awaiting the fine now because I can not get to talk to anyone that understand what has happened -not my fault letter is 2 mths late :(
    terry

13. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Always send special delivery - or even by courier.

DVLA will blame the post office and the post office blame the DVLA. With special delivery or courier you do have some come back. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Terry

Terry Funster

You have no comeback simply because they dont sign for anything -plus there is no value to anything except cost of postage -it's still hassel :)
    terry

15. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Off topic kinda alert:)
    Was reading in Sunday paper about HMRC tax returns being intercepted in post because of obvious envelope and cheques being changed and cashed....:)

Someone lost nearly 5k and tax man still wanted the money! It was proved cheque had been changed and they got there money back from bank who should have been more observant:) paying tax by mail ? dont use their envelope....

16. andrewjw

andrewjw Funster

Despite using special delivery for all docs etc sent to the DVLA it has taken from 4/11/14 till yesterday to for them to send me a V5C with the correct VIN no on [their mistake originally]....:rolleyes:

Even so I'd still stick with SD as you can track its progress which at least confirms it has got to Wales..:)

• Like Like x 1
  17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

On some UK car forums I use most who deal with them have been given every excuse.
    "signed for " yes , but there was nothing in the envelope when opened ! :sneaky:

Most of the people who use them regularly ,use couriers . They deliver docs to them & are videoed doing so ,as are the docs; being placed into respective addressed envelopes. The chain of evidence, for that is what it is , continues with continuous video up to & including identification of the person receiving the documents. One bloke said it cost him around £50 a time but was cheaper than trying to get foreign registration documents /titles/invoices replaced, plus he had never had one ounce of problems since doing it in this manner.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

What Pd said as there may not be a signature but you can get a specific time of delivery on the tracking print-off. Have to say my experience has always been positive, but when I ring I always emphasise my accent......isn't it boyo!(y)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

And if you were Lady Bassett it would be the sexy, husky voice purring "cariad" at the end of every sentence.... I know your tricks :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Oh yes, a bit of a Sian Lloyd on steroids, but she's no longer our weatherlady sadly, the new one's nice though, Benaz Akhtar an Iraqi lady and she sounds more Welsh than Sian now!:D

• Like Like x 2