Quick question for any Switzerland visitors

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by SwissBob, Jun 29, 2016.

1. SwissBob

SwissBob Funster

I've been trying to remember if I've seen MHs going through customs at Basel. I can't. Either I've just been unlucky or they go through a different lane. So my question is, do you MH travellers follow the left hand lane - marked with a car - or the right hand van/truck lane which veers off to the right?

2. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

Car lane I nearly got caught out

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Yup, car lane

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. SwissBob

SwissBob Funster

:merci:

5. Portland

Portland Funster

If you are under 3.5 tonnes buy vignette at service station before border take car lane. Over 3.5 tonnes follow freight sign and buy a limited time vignette and then you have so many days to stay

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

last year when I traveled the trucks lorrys where pulling off earlier than the border crossing I thought I had to pull off with them being 4.5t so I stupidly joined in the queue. Another person indicated to me I didnt have to do this so I carried on to the border where a guard pointed me to the office to fill vignette out and pay.

Bloke handed me form which totally baffled me but luckily a nice coach driver showed me what to do. I still have time on my vignette for this years journey to Italy but not for return so I may try a different route home.

7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Don't join the trucks, you will be waiting for ages. Just drive in the car lane and stop by the man looking at the traffic and he will point you in the right direction to get vignette from lady in booth if under 3.5t or from the office if over 3.5t. We were 4.5t and he even filled out the form for us.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. SwissBob

SwissBob Funster

Thanks all, it was just one of those silly things that came to mind. When leaving Switzerland at Basel the van and truck lane is actually a different road altogether. The car lane on the French side has a chicane that I don't think will be a problem for the 6 or 6.5 m van we're looking for but some of you monster MH drivers must have fun with that :unsure:-