quick inverter question ?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by greyman1, Aug 17, 2014.

1. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

hi guys , my 12v tv has packed up, so as a stand in i am going to run a spare MAINS ONLY tv through a small inverter for the time being . the tv is rated at 50w continuous, so would i be okay with a 75w inverter or do i need to go for a 150w to allow for start up etc ? i know they all waste a bit of battery power so i was thinking the 150w might be a bit of a waste if i didnt need it. cheers garry

2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

A good quality inverter with a genuine 75W continuous output should do, but I have to admit to never having seen one. The smallest I have seen listed is 100W or 150W although I am sure smaller ones must exist.
    If it is a flat screen TV, be aware that there have been reports that modified, or quasi-sine wave inverters may not power it satisfactorily. I have no experience of this but have heard of lines appearing on the screen.

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The only 75w inverters I have come across are those little plug in ones. I wouldn't use one of those for a TV. Using a larger capacity inverter within reason will not mean you will draw significantly more current from your batteries, as this will be dependent on the wattage of your appliance, though it will be less efficient than a 12v TV

4. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Don't think losses of the inverter are much to be concerned about. Inverters, of the size you need, are around 90% efficient, so the losses would be 10W (<1.0A) if you bought a 100W continuously rated unit.

For start up load just make sure the inverter has a peak rating higher than the TV starting current/wattage. 100W inverters are typically 200W short time rated.

5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

My experience is that you'll need 150w continuous - I don't know why when my TV is rated as yours but 100W simply tripped on switching the TV on.