Quick Gennie question ........ (1 Viewer)

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Wanting to buy a suitcase gennie - I know Honda has always been "the best" and the most expensive by far :Eeek:

What should I buy? A Honda EU20i or a Kiam Km2000i ?

I want to buy one in the next few days..........just trying to make that final decision, to spend over £1k. Or to spend half of that on the Kiam.

Plan to use when not on EHU and for topping up batteries (have solar panel as well) and also, importantly, to use at home for when we are plunged into misery this winter with all the powercuts and blackouts and bad weather forecast :Eeek: to charge and run a few home comforts and essentials.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Kiam....new boy on the block, may end up as good as Kipor...maybe not.

Honda....proven reliability and a 5 year guarantee (providing its serviced annually or every 200 hours with written proof)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
You need to ask yourself how often your battery needs topping when off hookup ? An additional battery or a bigger panel might be a better option.In all probability you want a generator but don't really. Need one..
As for the blackouts etc if you believe that scaremongering its a shrink you need not a gennie !:ROFLMAO:
You'll struggle getting your home comforts from a suitcase gennie in the worst case scenario,it would make better sense to park your mh outside your house
:Doh:

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
You need to ask yourself how often your battery needs topping when off hookup ? An additional battery or a bigger panel might be a better option.In all probability you want a generator but don't really. Need one..
As for the blackouts etc if you believe that scaremongering its a shrink you need not a gennie !:ROFLMAO:
You'll struggle getting your home comforts from a suitcase gennie in the worst case scenario,it would make better sense to park your mh outside your house
:Doh:

Vlad

Vlad: 1. I am a shrink (seriously):Smile:ask the old timer members who know me
2. I want to buy a gennie, not discuss the potential need or not - I have 2x110aH batts in the MH, a small solar panel and a Sterling battery maintainer to keep them / engine battery topped up when the sun actually shines (I may add another solar panel as well) but the gennie is in addition to anything else and for occasional use at home , at our storage area (no hook up).
3. It would be nice if we are stuck without power to be able to run a telly, juice up ipads and phones and laptops etc. MH cannot be parked outside our property no room at all :Eeek:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Dr

May I ask why you have decided on a 2 instead of a 1kw?

I have a similar set up to you but with more batteries...solar panel and b2b charger. The little I use my genny the 1kw does the job more than well enough other than using hi tech hair straighteners (not for me of course)..

If I had locker space and to buy one again I may be tempted by the 2-0 but most people I've known with the 2 always tell me they wish they bought the 1-----:Blush:

Any how, in answer to your question , Honda every single time. Let some one else test pilot the Kiam

Hondas speak quality, you know ou won't be let down:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If you can buy the Honda I know its twice the price but its also twice the quality if you buy cheap you buy more than once.
Many will disagree (kipor owners) but not the ones that have had trouble with them and thrown them away Buy a Honda and buy once

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Vlad: 1. I am a shrink (seriously)ask the old timer members who know me

Vlad, yes thats true, she is.

Camcorder, As you have a duel use in mind, I would look at the Honda, and there is a agent in Crewe who sometimes have used models for sale with a warranty, could save a penny or two. If I can find the address I will post it.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Have you considered an on board genny??

Expensive yes but worth it yes....

The agent in Crewe also does these...

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
genny

Cheap no Good Good no Cheap.

Honda EU2

Up to 2KVA heater.. electric Kettle.. electric Blanket (not all at once ).

TV lap tops phone lights no problems .

Kipor cheap Chinese copy of a Honda, some people swear by them, lots more people swear AT them:winky:

Kiam never heard of them, I have been using Hondas for over thirty years you cannot beat them.

Les

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Vlad: 1. I am a shrink (seriously):Smile:ask the old timer members who know me
2. I want to buy a gennie, not discuss the potential need or not - I have 2x110aH batts in the MH, a small solar panel and a Sterling battery maintainer to keep them / engine battery topped up when the sun actually shines (I may add another solar panel as well) but the gennie is in addition to anything else and for occasional use at home , at our storage area (no hook up).
3. It would be nice if we are stuck without power to be able to run a telly, juice up ipads and phones and laptops etc. MH cannot be parked outside our property no room at all :Eeek:

Enough said.........:imoutahere:

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Dr

May I ask why you have decided on a 2 instead of a 1kw?

I have a similar set up to you but with more batteries...solar panel and b2b charger. The little I use my genny the 1kw does the job more than well enough other than using hi tech hair straighteners (not for me of course)..

If I had locker space and to buy one again I may be tempted by the 2-0 but most people I've known with the 2 always tell me they wish they bought the 1-----:Blush:

Any how, in answer to your question , Honda every single time. Let some one else test pilot the Kiam

Hondas speak quality, you know ou won't be let down:thumb:

Really because it gives more versatility for home use as well as trips in the MH.......not just to top up batteries.

I suppose the temptation of the Kiam is that it is really just a pure sine wave inverter which runs on a 4 stroke engine.... and.has USB which saves a plug to use elsewhere!

But I guess you are all right really - buy right buy once.........:Eeek:

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
genny

Honda every time, EU2i , Cheap no good.. Good no Cheap:winky:

Tv pc, phone, lights, no problems.

2 Kva heater,electric kettle, electric blanket(not all at once)

Kipor cheap chinese copy of a Honda, some people swear by them a lot more people swear at them.

Kiam never heard of them.

Les

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Honda. We have it, rarely use it, but when we do doesn't cause any noise problems to neighbours .

Lin

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Wow, service every 8 days useage, along with fuel and purchase price, that's expensive electrickery:Eeek:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Hi Dr

Let some one else test pilot the Kiam

I did and then, when it went phhhhhhhhhhut big time, after about 50 hours running, and beyond economic repair, even if you could get the bits, I bought the Honda. :Eeek:

Question answered, that will be a pound. :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I did and then, when it went phhhhhhhhhhut big time, after about 50 hours running, and beyond economic repair, even if you could get the bits, I bought the Honda. :Eeek:

Question answered, that will be a pound. :ROFLMAO:
you're underpricing yourself Mike....

theres a bloke with the same name on the other channel charges a Guinea for info like that.....:ROFLMAO:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
you're underpricing yourself Mike....

theres a bloke with the same name on the other channel charges a Guinea for info like that.....:ROFLMAO:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh PPJ, I charge them a Guinea because they own American RV's and according to some, can afford the extra. :thumb:

These Ice Cream Box owners, I am told, can't afford it, so I benevolently keep the cost down for them. :ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
That's right...

Come over here from your RVOC Club because there is no one to talk to in the wilderness and then be rude about the affordability our sensibly sized motorhomes!

Bloody cheek!

Oh and just in case you don't do irony I better add these...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ. :Cool:

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Justgenerators in Norfolk are selling the eu20i for £969 including delivery and a free service kit........I have hunted around and that seems to be the best price. There is an ebay seller doing them for £950 but courier is £45.

Nice sales pitch, Peter, but I want a Honda, not a Hyundai, a bit like the difference between an Adria and a Swift :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: only joking, apparently Swift have improved since the dark days of 2007!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I was offered a 2.0i by a funster the other day for a very good price so if your interested in a secondhand one contact Tude he may still have it. I only need a 1.0i or i would have went for it at the price he offered.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Actually I wouldn't quite agree with that, the Hyundai generators are very good quality and have a 2 year warranty, maybe not quite as quiet as the Honda but very little difference in the real world, I certainly have no complaints and have used ours extensively over the last season. as for Swift well I'm sorry I couldn't recommend them to anyone.

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Actually I wouldn't quite agree with that, the Hyundai generators are very good quality and have a 2 year warranty, maybe not quite as quiet as the Honda but very little difference in the real world, I certainly have no complaints and have used ours extensively over the last season. as for Swift well I'm sorry I couldn't recommend them to anyone.

Its also about the after sales and repair services. Honda have reigned supreme for years really, and the warranty is exceptional. They are undeniably expensive, but even the cheap gennies are not cheap, its all hundreds of pounds........if not more. Now if only I could afford one of those Efoy systems.......

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Its also about the after sales and repair services. Honda have reigned supreme for years really, and the warranty is exceptional. They are undeniably expensive, but even the cheap gennies are not cheap, its all hundreds of pounds........if not more. Now if only I could afford one of those Efoy systems.......
understand what you are saying, however my recent experience with a customers Honda generator and any backup has left me disappointed, it is one of these but with an LPG conversion Link Removed as you can see not very cheap but suddenly stopped running and so far both the supplier of whom you mentioned in an earlier post didn't want to know, and a local Honda agent have failed in finding the fault, I have also taken it to an independent repairer again with no luck he seems to think the problem is within the inverter but without spending the best part of a grand we'll never know

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
That's right...

Come over here from your RVOC Club because there is no one to talk to in the wilderness and then be rude about the affordability our sensibly sized motorhomes!

Bloody cheek!

Oh and just in case you don't do irony I better add these...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ. :Cool:

Nope, wrong. I come over here, mainly, so I can take the piss of the VeryOldMoIceCreamMan in two different places.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I've got a Nupower Evolution 1.0 invertor generator, which is identical to the Clarke one sold by MachineMart etc. - just a different colour (blue instead of red) - bought 3 and a half years ago for 184.95 euros with a 2 year guarantee. It has been used quite heavily, including over a couple of winters with no hookup. They are still for sale in Gédimat for the same price now (185euro = £155ish), so even if it packed up now and we had to replace it the overall outlay would be minimal... A new Kiam 1.0 = £299.95 (on offer, normal price £499.95) so, all considered, a good deal...

:Smile:

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
understand what you are saying, however my recent experience with a customers Honda generator and any backup has left me disappointed, it is one of these but with an LPG conversion Link Removed as you can see not very cheap but suddenly stopped running and so far both the supplier of whom you mentioned in an earlier post didn't want to know, and a local Honda agent have failed in finding the fault, I have also taken it to an independent repairer again with no luck he seems to think the problem is within the inverter but without spending the best part of a grand we'll never know

Sure the 5 year warranty should apply? Failing which, a s75 claim on credit card :Eeek: I suppose there are problems with all makes and suppliers of everything, its just how they handle problems that is really important........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back