QUESTIONS - RVing in Europe (Shipping RV from USA)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TOM ROBERTSON, Sep 16, 2014.

1. TOM ROBERTSON

TOM ROBERTSON Read Only Funster

Hi - I am an American looking to ship a Class C (Coach Built) style motorized rig to Europe. My plan is to install an electrical converter before shipping. Ship it to Europe and store it in the Netherlands and fly to Europe 1-2 times a year and use the rig for 3 months at a time.

I have a couple books on "RVing" in Europe, but am looking for groups on line to join and gain more real life experiences.

I am also looking for what water, propane and electrical connectors are needed for each country and hopefully where I could order/purchase them in advance.

I have liked your site and look forward to the information and possibly touring with you.

Tom Robertson
    Travel My Road
    www.travelmyroad.com

2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

would you not be better to buy one already here?shippping must be exspensive ?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Momo

Momo Funster

Hi Tom and welcome to the Fun! (y):welc:

MHF has a sister site for RV owners but I can't find the link. Some of the experts will be along soon! (y)

Just found it:

http://www.rvoc.co.uk/

• Like Like x 2
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

You would have to look at re-registering it in the country where it spends most time.
    In EU a vehicle has to be registered when it's spent 6 months in a country. You might get away with moving it from one country to another ( and a lot of ex pats don't comply ) but I'm not sure where you'd stand on insurance and the equivalent of MOT in the country where it's stored.
    Re registering can be simple and straightforward-- some have no problems at all but I know one couple where it took 33 months to re register the vehicle, and in that case, in aFrance at least, you have to renew the insurance monthly.

Depends how well you tolerate stress!

Sorry-- forgot to say Welcome to Fun.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

or you can try to swap with someone on this side of the pond. before you spend that amount of money. and welcome to the house of fun.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TOM ROBERTSON

I have looked at both options, the cost of the rig, shipping cost vs. VAT and other requirements. Believe it or not it is actually cheaper for me to ship one in the long run. Especially since I will be using it in Europe for multiple years, when you factor in the cost of hotels, car rental, and food that trips to Europe would cost me for 3-6 months a year it just makes sense.

I also will be working full time from the road while traveling and I like to wild camp some (boondock/dry camp) to save money. So a US rig gives me a little more room for office space, solar, extra batteries and they have a generator. This way I can have it all set up before shipping and ready when it hits port.

It is hard to balance personal wants and realities of narrower roads and smaller size camp spaces in Europe.

8. TOM ROBERTSON

Thanks for the link!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

You are not allowed to wild camp in Holland I don't think but Belgium France are ok.
    With Holland it go's back to the sixties and the hippy generation.
    Someone will be along to correct me soon
    bill

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Nice Scottish name Robertson.. (y)

hope you get to visit Scotland before you need jabs and a visa :D

safe travels.. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I looked at the idea of shipping our MH to Scandanavia, then driving round to use it, reducing ferry / bridge tolls getting there

Shipping cost was not too bad, but MH had to be completely empty with the couple of options I tried for prices, so a non starter

Might be worth checking your T's and C's, an empty MH in Europe is not going to be easy to use (y)

• Like Like x 1
  12. TOM ROBERTSON

Yes they will tell you they do not ship household goods and you can cannot pack it with boxes.

Though I have chatted with people had common things on there shelves and had their storage compartments loaded and locked. I think you have to be creative in some respects as putting things in under bed storage and things. But customs will inspect everything upon landing.

As for clothes and what I will wear I will bring with me, other things I can get there.

I know on the short ferry rides it is not an issue, only for trans-ocean shipments. But I still have more homework to do.

13. TOM ROBERTSON

That is a possibility, but since I am looking to use it more than on time a year and to travel back and forth for 4-5 years it would be a hassle.

14. TOM ROBERTSON

:) Yes, Scotland is high on my list of places to travel. I have been to the UK a couple of time years ago, I would like to take 3 months and travel the UK, Scotland and Ireland. I have to put my red hair to use. lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Hiya Tom, yes perhaps cheaper but to import and register in the EU the rules have changed with regard to type approval (IVA) and imported vehicles are now subject to more regulation with regard to size, specification, lighting etc.
    Unfortunately I am not learned in this but a question or two on RVOC as linked earlier should give you more answers

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

it seems to me insurance and mot are the biggest stumbling blocks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TOM ROBERTSON

I will check on this, I have good friends in Germany and I can check with Customs. The 3 people I know who shipped their vehicles to Holland direct from the US all kept their US vehicle registration and plates. The insurance was handled through a US company that insured overseas as well. They stored their rigs at an indoor storage between trips. These were all a few years ago so things clearly may have changed. That is what I am researching.

I truly appreciate every ones assistance, I lived in Germany for 5 years and came to love Europe. Even though I traveled extensively there is so much of all the countries, culture and history I missed out on. So now I am hoping to finish my travels.

• Like Like x 1
  18. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Welcome to MotorhomeFun Tom, had a quick look at your blog n travels very interesting indeed wil be back to read more !

Kath

• Like Like x 1
  19. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

There is much to see and enjoy, good luck in getting underway (y)