question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by aba, Dec 5, 2011.

1. aba

aba

hypothetical question time.
    as most motorhomes over the 3500Kg are taxed as Private Heavy Goods does this mean that they can park in HGV spaces or not ???????
    has anyone fallen foul of this or is it a loophole ????

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

only one way to find out :Laughing:

but i doubt it as a car park attendant/warden will only see a motorhome, not a truck.

often wondered the same for mine......about as long as a bus, looks like a bus, so can i park in a coach bay ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

No idea.. but this is my take on it

Cannot park in a coach bay as no PSV VEL paid, but if your in a vehicle over 3500k and you park in a truck bay you could well argue that you parked there as it was not clear the surface of the 'normal' places could take the weight of your vehicle....

Tenuous, but you only need tenuous in the eyes of the ( nutty ) laws of this land

• Like Like x 2
  4. aba

aba

well if you did park in a HGV parking place if you got a ticket would you go to court to argue that it is a HGV? but take your tax disc with you that clearly states Private HGV.

to me its a no brainer because it is a HGV.
    and papajohn yours is probably taxed PHGV so maybe you need a truck bay

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

In the case of public sector (usually local authority) owned car parks it all depends on the exact wording of the Traffic Regulation Order. A good example is the one covering the Hanley Road Car Park at Upton on Severn which allows overnight occupation of commercial HGVs but not motorhomes.

Conditions imposed by owners of private car parks vary. For example, some motorway service operators allow parking with HGVs and some don't.

6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Have often considered this myself

Being a retired lawyer I have often considered this issue. But so far not found an answer.

I have noticed on motorway service areas the signs for parking in most HGV areas make it clear no motorhomes. and being 45' with the car trailer I find the caravan areas to small. Fleet in hampshire has the HGV's and the caravans and coaches all in one area.. as usual trucks in the caravan bays.. but I tend only to stop long enough for a visit to the little room - 2 hour limits... As for normal car parks, it all depends on what the councils terms and conditions are. Canterbury City Council has a new Aires type 10 bay motorhome park on the New Dover Road and that allows over night parking plus a bus ride into town...good pub over the road for food. The city info say height barriers, but there are none.

Bob

7. paddywhack

paddywhack

They cannot have it both ways. I was booked on the front at Blackpool because my tax disc said heavy goods and heavy goods vehicles are banned from the front:Smile:

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

like yours, it was also a hypothetical question.

i'll use the MIL's disabled badge and park in a disabled bay....see what they make of that :Laughing:

and i agree, if it says HGV on the tax disc, then its an HGV...private or not.

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

They can have it both ways and they can differentiate between private and not. TROs are drawn up for the specific circumstances/policies of the area in question and that's why there are differences - or having it both ways :Smile: