pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No, but......
If it isn't insured it MUST be sorned and a refund on remaining tax claimed, assuming the tax is still current.
Even though it's off the road (hopefully) by virtue of no insurance its an offence not to sorn.

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
thank you my car is up for renewal tax ect nexst week at a cost of £800 last year it done 700 miles only goes to morrisons an back i paid £2700 for it and i took it back and was offered £700 in part ex tryed we buy any car and was £290 for it think ill ues it as a locker

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You only need to declare sorn once no matter how long it's off the road, until it's taxed again, it used to be annually.
Up until last week I had a car stood in the back yard for well over 5 years on continuous sorn.
We used it as a dog shelter for the last 2 years then treated them to a 6' x 4' garden shed..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Sorry to rain on your parade but I think you'll find that if you SORN the vehicle the government still insist that it is insured third party. Why, I have no idea but someone at DVLA will give you some stupid reason I'm sure!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Sorry to rain on your parade but I think you'll find that if you SORN the vehicle the government still insist that it is insured third party. Why, I have no idea but someone at DVLA will give you some stupid reason I'm sure!

Not the last time I had one on SORN :)

But I could be wrong it has been known :)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I know someone who bought a brand new BMW with their redundancy money. Shortly afterwards, they got a new job, which supplied a company car - so they SORNed the BMW and cancelled the insurance. Guess what? They came home one day and the BMW had been nicked - never to be seen again! :eek:

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

No, you don't have to insure it at all if you declare SORN and obviously don't take it on to the public highway. (Sorry, just noticed this has been addressed in an earlier post!). However, it is sensible to insure against fire and theft (see the sad tale of the BMW above) and many insurers don't offer this as as a stand-alone product but only as part of a third party, fire and theft policy.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
On a recent trip a guy told me that when you Sorn a vehicle the insurance isn't valid.....that can't be true can it?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Most insurance companies offer off road (sorn) cover as far as I'm aware. Mine certainly does anyway. Covers theft, fire, accidental damage whilst stored. No road cover obviously.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back