Question- Twin rear view camera

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by colyboy, Mar 23, 2015.

1. colyboy

colyboy Funster

Question, I have a factory fitted Waeco camera on my Hobby van. Would it be possible to change this to a twin camera?

colyboy

2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Yes it would, however you will need to run a second cable the length of your van for the second image or have some sort of switch arrangement in the existing cable..

3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Almost certainly won't just be a one off one on swap.

4. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I removed my Waeco single camera and replaced it with a twin lens system from www.parkingcameras.com. Picture quality was much improved (Waco 5 years old) and it's great to have one camera dedicated to reversing and the other for rear view whilst driving.

The system has a cable from each camera which join a single cable running to the monitor . The single cable hole for the Waeco was a little too small for the new cables but I found by elongating the hole a little, like a keyhole, I could put one cable through first and the second could then be pushed through. Fairly easy to remove the Waeco cable from my Hymer and replace it with the new one.

Mike

5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Other thing to think about is what you are using to view the picture from the camera. If it's a dedicated Waeco monitor you should be OK but it you view it through something else, for example your cab radio unit screen or any other type of shared screen, you need to make sure that whatever it is will support inputs from more than one camera.

6. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

Done exactly as Mike ,even using parking cameras, the Sony twin camera is a vast improvement on my old waeco unit and because it's cable and not wireless no more interference, well worth the effort to replace IMO

7. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

My Waeco has a motorised shutter, which moves up/down if you select reverse. There are two lenses behind the shutter, but I'm fairly certain there is only one cable coming from the unit (it must be a fairly recent unit as the van was registered in 2012)

8. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

I have a Waeco reversing camera on my Hobby which is connected to the satnav and the picture is not that good.
    I just had another camera fitted alongside it for a rear view which is connected to another screen, the picture is much better.

9. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Yes you can use the same cable so long as it is the Six pin mini DIN

You will also need the 2 in one out switching box.

What is the model number of your monitor?

I have the latest Waeco twin lense camera on my RV in conjunction with a Pioneer DAB radio camper navigation set up.

I often tow a boT or car behind the RV and find switching between cameras idea for both hitching up, manovering and reversing.

10. colyboy

colyboy Funster

Eddie Vanbitz.

Many thanks for your reply. I think I made a mistake by saying I wanted a twin camera. What I meant to say is I want a camera which can stay on all the time, which will act as a rear view mirror. The Waeco camera on my Hobby is five years old and I think has had it!. What would you suggest I look at? Can I swop a new camera in the place of this, but I take it I will have to have some sort of switch so as to have it on/off.

colyboy

11. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Why change anything then? Their is a wire (Green) I think that is connected to your reversing feed. Change that to an ignition supply and the system will work when the ignition is on. If you don't want it on, the ON/OFF switch can be used.

Saves money, time and hassle

12. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I fitted a change over switch inline with the camera input to my stereo unit, if you connect the second camera into one of the Aux inputs it mutes the radio/sound when the input is selected.

P1090540.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. colyboy

colyboy Funster

BRILLIANT! It's nice to see a trader on here giving sensible advice and not trying to sell something.
    Many thanks Eddie

colyboy

• Like Like x 1