Question re supply of Electric to Heater Fan (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi all,

We are currently in Portugal. We have discovered during the course of the trip that our Battery Charger is terminally duff until I get home. We have with us a vehicle battery charger that has been working well when on sites with electricity but I would like to ask a question in light of an 'incident' that occurred tonight.

SWMBO turned on the tap in the kitchen this evening and the LEDS in the lounge started getting upset.
I realised immediately that the batteries were run down. We have switched the Charger on and everything is back to acceptable.

We already have it mind to change the batteries when we get home but, just so that I can fully understand the way everything works can anyone please answer this question.

Does the fan that operates the blown air heating come direct from the 12v side or is it, in some way connected to the mains side when we are running the mains electric heating. We have the Truma combi with a choice of 900w or 1800w heating and I would like to know whether using that fan has contributed to our lack of 12v electricity. So far on this trip we have managed well with the solar providing top up but, as with most things, we have been making the most of the available 16amp, here on site. It won't be much good to us if we drain the batteries down. Yes, I appreciate that I can continue using the non installed battery charger but I ask the above question just so that I know for the future. We still have several weeks to go on this jaunt.

Sorry for the length of thread. I hope I've made sense.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the fan motor draws current from the leisure batteries. when the built in charger is working it supplies generally up to 20amps. so it recharges the batteries quite quickly. a basic stand alone may only supply 8-10amp maximum. this means you will need to run it almost continually to keep up this time of year

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As suggested run your charger continually on EHU. A fairly substantial charger (including the one in the van when working) will take several days to recharge each 100Ah from fully discharged. Truma fan runs on 12v as TB1 says.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As said Combi fan runs from 12v. Draws around 5.5 amp on full blast, once van is up to temp & fan drops to min it draws less than 1 amp.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks to one and all for your very quick responses.

I did think that the fan was the culprit, but, knowing it, we will get the stand alone heater out when necessary and draw off the mains.
Once again, thank you.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
This was suggested to me when we had our last van and seemed to help a lot.

If your battery goes flat then start your engine when turning your heater in for a few mins as the heater needs most power at start up and cool down.
Much warmer in Portugal than Scotland though. It's blowing a hoodie here.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
This was suggested to me when we had our last van and seemed to help a lot.

If your battery goes flat then start your engine when turning your heater in for a few mins as the heater needs most power at start up and cool down.
Much warmer in Portugal than Scotland though. It's blowing a hoodie here.

Thats only true for a diesel powered heater and only on start up not cool down.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I am resuscitating this thread to inform all Funsters on the outcome of our on Board Charger which is a Toptron CH240V1.
As discovered the Charger was Mort.
Through the good offices of others on here, I sent the Charger to David Brannon at Electronic Services.
I described to David prior to sending it what was apparently wrong and he gave me chapter and verse on the probability of the fault(S)
sent it off last Friday and this morning it was returned, fixed with an upgrade and is now working.

Yes, it was expensive to fix (£200) but thats a damn sight cheaper than even trying to source and pay for a new one(£550-£600).

Good service, first class communication and old fashioned values. Well recommended.
www.leisureelectronicrepairs.co.uk
Tel 01745 854495 (After 10.30am please)
Mob 07730 374290====Ditto======
Email electronicserv@btinternet.com

As Usual, I have no connection with the above and supply details for Funsters benefit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back