question re-scooters

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ips, Jul 13, 2009.

1. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Quesion no 2:

Our new MH has a "garage" which is just asking for a scooter. Any thoughts or comments on the make / model to buy or general use of a scooter etc etc etc is appreciated however the main question is this.............will a 50cc scooter carry 2 "normal" size adults ? not bothered about performance as such, just dont want to look like a Burk if I have to push it up a hill. LOL.
    I want a very light one and a cheap to insure one (hence thinking of a 50cc) so I can lift or roll it up a ramp easy because I suffer from sciatica which varies from painfull but bearable to absolute agony and on occasions spend days or weeks on the lounge floor............oops sorry I went off on a tangent then. :BigGrin:

(incidentally I have a "Full" motorcycle licence from my miss spent youth in the early eighties)

Thanks
    ips

2. zaskar

zaskar Funster

I would have thought that 50cc was to small TBH. It's a long time since i had a 50cc bike and I'm sure things have improved on the power per CC front, but even so........
    There's lots have 125's and cope very well 2 up. Personally, I had a CBF250 on the back of my RV cos I wanted to be able to do 60mph, 2 up, on any bypasses we hit whilst out.
    In your case, payload of the 'van is a big factor. Be worth finding out the avialable spare payload of your 'van and the weight of a cb125 or similar.
    The 50cc is very desirable from the weight point of view, but whether it'll make for relaxed riding 2-up, I'm not too sure. I know you're there to sightsee etc and not to get your knee on the floor:Rofl1:........but even so.......:wub:

3. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Point taken......dont think theres any chance of getting my knee on the floor these days :cry: not with my back...

4. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

We have a little 50cc Baotian, they are cheap and cheerful and less nickable than the aprilias etc.

It just about holds Tony and our 12 year old.

Better off with a large cc bike for two adults.

5. lufcdave7

lufcdave7 Read Only Funster

I put the very same question to our local bike dealership owner he said, without hesitating, 125cc was the best for two adults. The new Honda 125cc is a cracker.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Do your homework first.

1. How much spare weight capacity in total ?
    2. How much do you need to live - water/food/clothes ?
    3. Is what's left enough for a bike ?
    4. Can the back axle take the load that far back ?

You might not like the answers.

The only way to get an accurate answer is to load up and go weigh the thing. A HUGE problem with FWD MHs is lack of grip up front, adding weight right at the back just makes this worse by lifting the front.

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, i use a 90cc chinese dax carries 2 18 stone fat barstards ok easy to handle.great in traffic. these days you can get upto 150cc from china. i have a 110cc lifan dax for sale 600 quid 2007 done 150km.

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

unless you only want a year or two's use then avoid the chinese bikes.

they are not built to last and spares/servicing can be a problem.

50cc is far to small for two adults...there wont be enough power to get you out of trouble if you need it.

125cc is really a minimum for two up riding.

your chosen bike may weigh only 100/125kg but 2 meters behind the rear axle it will be an axle loading of maybe 150/175kg.

payload/overloading in a garage can be a problem and you'd be better towing a small bike trailer.

9. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

We had a 50cc initially, but Di got a bit upset when she had to get off and walk up any reasonable hill! We changed it for a 125 which is ideal, so we recommend you do not go for less than this.

Bob

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi papa . shouldnt worry too much about chinese m,cycles i,ve had min 9yr.always get bits if needed .was in a shop in barnsley last week full of spares i honestly think chinese is the way to go these days. soon be chinese based campers. lots of chinese vehicles out there now ,in 2-3 yrs they will be here in force. end of euro manufacturers is iminante.

11. Col447

Col447 Read Only Funster

The best bit of advise I can give, is to take the Bus with you when you visit the dealer. As if you explain exactly your requirement and show them the doorway the bike has to pass through they mite, like my local Honda dealer did, actualy wheeled a bike out to see if it would fit. Can't get better service than that !:Wink:

12. Frankia

Frankia Read Only Funster

We are too "cuddly" adults. In the past have had 100cc Peugeot Speedfight but have now had 3 Honda SH125 bikes - Brilliant and reliable and can take two cuddly people up any hill and more importantly can keep up with traffic.

We have a pair of saddle bags which strap together under the seat and we can go supermarket shopping and take a trolley round rather than a basket.

When free camping I have used the bike with water carriers in the back box and saddle bags and brought back 65ltrs of water at a time.

At about 120kg it is fine in the garage of our Frankia but as suggested above make sure you have the payload for whatever you get.

IMHO the Honda is a great bit of kit and highly recommend it.

13. kickstart

kickstart Funster

Everybody has given good advice,as Frankia says the honda sh 125 are great but £2800 new, as Papajohn says the first of the chinese have been poor but are getting better and as VWalan said there are people like Eat My Dirt in Barnsley who go out to china and source better copies of honda's with spares back up to a point,then theres a few scooter dealers who are moving on to electric assisted cycles that are good and lightweight,you could buy two of those,horses for courses.:Smile:

14. pappajohn

My god!!!!!

what a terrible website front page.
    whoever designed that needs their eyes testing:Angry:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  15. kickstart

kickstart Funster

Nowt t'doo with me, just a customer. :thumb:

16. Phil

Phil Read Only Funster

I originally had a Chinese 'Honda' 125 which lasted a couple of years before giving up the ghost. It now resides behind my garden shed. ( Free to a good home :Smile: )

For the past 3 years I have been using a Piaggio 125cc 'Fly' Scooter. It is ideal for the 2 of us ( 23 stone approx ) and carries us quite happily up and down the alpine roads in Austria and Switzerland.

I remove the mirrors, windshield and topbox when travelling between campsites. It takes less than 5 minutes to reassemble the bits for use. The top box and underseat compartment are ideal for the 2 helmets or for quite a lot of shopping. There is a small glove compartment at the front for tools, maps and other small items.

For security it has a steering lock and a coded ignition key. The immobiliser is set automatically when the key is removed.

Phil.

17. pappajohn

jiust like my burgman Phil......only a tad smaller:thumb:

18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

as a matter of interest piagglo have a big factory in tiland they market the tiwanese golden bee ,,or tgb. scooter or ist it a piagglo. most of the chinese are backed by the big boys .they dont seem to be copies its now the real thing made in china. nissan cabstars made in china called yue jin nice truck. when i bought my first chinese jin cheng dax an equivalent honda was2.500 quid i payed 1.000 now 7-8oo buys the same thing ,maybe not as nice as japan honda but now you could have three for the price of one. i fancied triking a dax but eat my dirts kit wont fit a dax shame.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  19. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Here's what motorbike I take with me, Hi also Vwalan I finally got it sorted how to tow my trike.
    John.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  20. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

I have a 100cc Peugeot Luxor (big wheels) and it does the job but after I bought it, I met two rather large ladies who had a 50cc scooter and regally did 40 miles/day on it, I could have done with knowing this, as it would have saved on weight.

£300 off ebay.