Question re driving in Spain (2 Viewers)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have heard all sort of horror stories about the Spanish police ( a good friend showed me a ticket he got for € 60 for driving in flip flops ! It stated loose fitting shoes not suitable to drive in or words to that effect ! )..

I have also been warned by a chap who runs a tour operation not to have a GPS on show or within reach of me ( the driver )

Lots of other stories and none of them particularly good..

Soooooooooooooooooo

Given the the ferry is booked, the pitch/package is reserved ( Cheers PP ! ) I suppose I had better sift out the facts from the fictions !!!

The most important thing for me is the GPS use.. Without a GPS I have trouble finding my bum with both hands and a map !!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If you have a look back a few days.. "Bryan" put a thread up what was needed when driving in Spain.. I think just about everthing has been mentioned..

Looks a daunting list but it`s not at the end of the day.. :thumb:

Tis true about the non back or Flip-Flop type shoes (Newish Law)..

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
P.S..... the Sat-Nav.. situation is supposed to be true..

I have never been pulled with having mine in the window,, but if I was to be I would whip it down and put it under the seat and hope that would suffice.. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Not sure but I think the flipflop thing is Europe wide - including UK! Bit of a bummer as I'm always in flipflops! I carry a spare pare of proper shoes for when I'm driving!

Not heard about the GPS law though - ours is always on show!

A friend of ours (a tugger) was fined last year because the towball on his car ( when he wasn't tugging!) slightly obscured his number plate!

Don't see too many police in and around Zahora - they're more intent with looking for illegals from Morocco I think!:Smile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have always carried all the things on the list as we do like going to Germany and Italy as often as poss ::bigsmile:
All that is on the list is I think pretty standard for EU countries in general

So nothing really odd or extreme then !

Cheers for the tip re flip flops..
Now I wear crocs all year round ( they are the only things I can walk in ! )
They DO have a strap that can be put over the heel so I am guessing that would be ok ? ( They are then attached rather than held by sweaty feet and the will of your god ! LOL )

Good news re GPS too

Mechanic who was working for a Lexus dealership somewhere near Barcelona mentioned they had to pull the fuse on the built in sat nav before letting the news cars out of the showroom ( carefully showing the customer how to replace it them moment they left said showroom ! )

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I always wear trainers when driving, no matter where I am. Haven't heard about the GPS but its not very often Ive ever come across police in Spain at all.
Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Trainers would be fine I should think Jim.. Flip flops refer I believe, to those things you slip on your feet and are held in place with a thong affair usually..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sat Navs are legal in Spain .. they are sold openly in all the big stores.

however fixed speed camera POIs are illegal and should be deactivated .. and be aware, manually using mobile phones, navigation devices or any other communication system, earns three points and a €200 fine

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have heard all sort of horror stories about the Spanish police ( a good friend showed me a ticket he got for € 60 for driving in flip flops ! It stated loose fitting shoes not suitable to drive in or words to that effect ! )..

I have also been warned by a chap who runs a tour operation not to have a GPS on show or within reach of me ( the driver )

Soooooooooooooooooo

Given the the ferry is booked, the pitch/package is reserved ( Cheers PP ! ) I suppose I had better sift out the facts from the fictions !!!

The most important thing for me is the GPS use.. Without a GPS I have trouble finding my bum with both hands and a map !!

I must have been lucky as I have never had any problems with the police in any European country.

I would say though, in my opinion driving in unsuitable footwear is dangerous.

Doug...

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I concur that AFIK it's only the scamera warnings they get their knickers in a twist over! (Jen)

RVfulltimer

Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
Funster No
I never drive anywhere in flip flops or any type of loose slip on footwear now because one day in spain we had been shoping in the car and dropped in on some friends in a bar outside the camp site we were staying on ,as soon as we pulled up a spanish reg car pulled in behind and across the the car a well dressed man about 30 years of age approached the passenger side of the car as my wife was just about to get out ,she hadnt undone the seat belt and i was just undoing mine the guy asked in spanish if he could top up his mobile in the reception of the camp site ,before we could answer he made a grab for the wifes hand bag in it was cards cash passports everything licences the lot ,but she held on and was shouting robbo bastardo etc so i jumped out as he was trying to make his getaway with just the wooden handle of the hand bag in his hand as he ran i chased after him but just as i was about to grab him by the neck i lost my righy flip flop and went over on my arse and he jumped into the car with his mate and the sped off ,called the police they didnt want to know .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i agree with Jim,

spain is craking down on radar detectors and jammers, not satnavs BUT camera POI's MUST be disabled as, in their eyes, it constitutes cameras (read as 'fine') evasion.

many cars have satnav built in so they cant ban them altogether but can put restrictions on them, which they have...as above.

and i though General Franco was dead :Doh:

we made the decision a while ago not to go to spain again due to the ridiculous driving restrictions imposed recently.

their loss....theres always france. :thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I really hate the ruddy camera warning rubbish anyway.. it is only rarely turned on if travelling through a lot of small towns ( in italy it is VERY easy to miss a max speed sign ! )

So again, that wil not be a problem for me :Smile:

As to driving in flip flops being dangerous..
Best keep WELL clear of me then.. I have not worn anything bar crocs for donkeys years
Often drive with no shoes at all !!

I do occasionaly ride the Blackbird with boots on :winky:

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
sat nav

Advert on Spanish telly last night bloke reading map while driving almost accident,ending you wouldnt read a map while driving so preset gps before setting off!!!:Smile: Trev

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
flip flap brain

( a good friend showed me a ticket he got for € 60 for driving in flip flops ! .

how dangerous driving in flip/flops, i think he should have gone to jail myself , the devastation that you could cause if your feet slip off the controls (pedals) does not bear thinking about, how stupid ! :Doh:.
mr bean

scottishtourer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2010
Perth
Funster No
Exp
30 years
Spain , No Problem

Soooooooooooooooooo

WE have spent many months in Spain over the last 15 years in Motorhomes, Providing your GPS is not also a a speed camera detector you should have no problems, The flip flop thing is correct many UK drivers i am told have had accidents with them catching in the pedals, We ahve never had any problems with the Police apart from being chucked off wild camping spots, you should have no problems whatsoever..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sat nav legal :thumb:

speed camera POI's illegal :Sad:

radar detectors illegal...but they are in most EU countries. :Eeek:

just disable camera POI's :thumb:

flipflops..backless sandles...bare feet illegal :Angry:

second pair of specs (if worn) compulsory :thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Sat Navs are legal in Spain .. they are sold openly in all the big stores.

however fixed speed camera POIs are illegal and should be deactivated .. and be aware, manually using mobile phones, navigation devices or any other communication system, earns three points and a €200 fine

These sites may help.

Link Removed

Link Removed

We have a sat nav and have had no problems.

John

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Hi everyone what it is with GPS you should not be able to access in order change desternation while moving all new GPS now do this or should do, they have had some very serious accidents in Spain while people are doing this.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Jaws
We got bumped 2009 in barcelona:Doh: the police attended and never even looked or mentioned the sat nav:thumb:, BUT although we got hit on the rear corner I got the blame :Doh:the police said it was my fault:Doh: so you never know over there:Doh:, but went last year :thumb:and going again next week:thumb:, sat nav in place. Pete :thumb::thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jaws
We got bumped 2009 in barcelona:Doh: the police attended and never even looked or mentioned the sat nav:thumb:, BUT although we got hit on the rear corner I got the blame :Doh:the police said it was my fault:Doh: so you never know over there:Doh:, but went last year :thumb:and going again next week:thumb:, sat nav in place. Pete :thumb::thumb:
sounds like Saudi Arabia....only what i've been told and dont know how true, but if you have ANY accident and its YOUR fault :Eeek:

their logic is, if you werent in their country the accident wouldnt have happened.

no shit sherlock :Doh:

ian jenner

Free Member
Jan 18, 2010
south east spain
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
5 yrs. &many yrs ago
jig

Soooooooooooooooooo

flip flops are a NO NO,so are loose items on a seat.dogs must be secured,eg a strap.2 triangles.2 reflective jackets.spare bulbs needed but we have not had problem with dash mounted gps,ours is at my full arms length,you MUST say it does NOT have speed radar warning! we drive here all time and in the south, police are very courteous. obey signs, stop is STOP! safe journey

Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
flip flops are a NO NO,so are loose items on a seat.dogs must be secured,eg a strap.2 triangles.2 reflective jackets.spare bulbs needed but we have not had problem with dash mounted gps,ours is at my full arms length,you MUST say it does NOT have speed radar warning! we drive here all time and in the south, police are very courteous. obey signs, stop is STOP! safe journey
just don't go to Spain its no worth the hassle to many greasy people selling cheep drink,

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Hi Jaws
We got bumped 2009 in Barcelona BUT although we got hit on the rear corner I got the blame the police said it was my fault

Pete. I'd love just a little more information?

Was it 50/50 blame or 100% you, were you fined or just informed by the local Plod that it was your fault?

How have your insurance company dealt with it, as you know in the UK NO WAY are you to blame if your are hit at the rear.:Eeek:

Mick

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
police are very courteous. obey signs, stop is STOP! safe journey[/QUOTE]

What if they are not real police,how can you tell?

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
i agree with Jim,

spain is craking down on radar detectors and jammers, not satnavs BUT camera POI's MUST be disabled as, in their eyes, it constitutes cameras (read as 'fine') evasion.

many cars have satnav built in so they cant ban them altogether but can put restrictions on them, which they have...as above.

and i though General Franco was dead :Doh:

we made the decision a while ago not to go to spain again due to the ridiculous driving restrictions imposed recently.

their loss....theres always france. :thumb:

I think it's your loss not Spain's, as for France it's full of French and very expensive

Loddy

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Pete. I'd love just a little more information?

Was it 50/50 blame or 100% you, were you fined or just informed by the local Plod that it was your fault?

How have your insurance company dealt with it, as you know in the UK NO WAY are you to blame if your are hit at the rear.:Eeek:

Mick
Hi Mike
I was lost in Barcelona following sat nav back to the motorway, I was in a residential area going along a side road which met an other me coming in at an angle from the left so no clear sight down to my left, BUT there was no buildings or obstructions to obscure my 6 mt Bessacarr, trailer with smart car on from the Spaniards car which was coming up on my blind side, there was also no road markings to warn me I was to give way ahead etc, he got the worse of the bump the front of his old peugeot fell off I think the trailer did that because I had a broken wheel trim on the spare wheel0, all I had was a broken rear quarter panel which I tapped up then later traded in for our new van, Re the Insurance with the police saying it was my fault my Insurers paid out to them it made no difference to my premiums as I have ncd protection on the MH ,I have just paid this years premium with no extras, no fines or points.
I still think it was 50-50 but I wasn't going back to Barcelona to argue the point, just going back to the police they were ok with us and even took us back to the motorway to France which was were we should have been heading for before I followed the wrong turning, Hope that is of some use to you like I said earlier we are back to Spain next week. Pete :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back