Question re driving in Spain

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Jaws, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I have heard all sort of horror stories about the Spanish police ( a good friend showed me a ticket he got for € 60 for driving in flip flops ! It stated loose fitting shoes not suitable to drive in or words to that effect ! )..

I have also been warned by a chap who runs a tour operation not to have a GPS on show or within reach of me ( the driver )

Lots of other stories and none of them particularly good..

Soooooooooooooooooo

Given the the ferry is booked, the pitch/package is reserved ( Cheers PP ! ) I suppose I had better sift out the facts from the fictions !!!

The most important thing for me is the GPS use.. Without a GPS I have trouble finding my bum with both hands and a map !!

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

If you have a look back a few days.. "Bryan" put a thread up what was needed when driving in Spain.. I think just about everthing has been mentioned..

Looks a daunting list but it`s not at the end of the day.. :thumb:

Tis true about the non back or Flip-Flop type shoes (Newish Law)..

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

P.S..... the Sat-Nav.. situation is supposed to be true..

I have never been pulled with having mine in the window,, but if I was to be I would whip it down and put it under the seat and hope that would suffice.. :RollEyes:

4. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

Not sure but I think the flipflop thing is Europe wide - including UK! Bit of a bummer as I'm always in flipflops! I carry a spare pare of proper shoes for when I'm driving!

Not heard about the GPS law though - ours is always on show!

A friend of ours (a tugger) was fined last year because the towball on his car ( when he wasn't tugging!) slightly obscured his number plate!

Don't see too many police in and around Zahora - they're more intent with looking for illegals from Morocco I think!:Smile:

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We have always carried all the things on the list as we do like going to Germany and Italy as often as poss :BigGrin:
    All that is on the list is I think pretty standard for EU countries in general

So nothing really odd or extreme then !

Cheers for the tip re flip flops..
    Now I wear crocs all year round ( they are the only things I can walk in ! )
    They DO have a strap that can be put over the heel so I am guessing that would be ok ? ( They are then attached rather than held by sweaty feet and the will of your god ! LOL )

Good news re GPS too

Mechanic who was working for a Lexus dealership somewhere near Barcelona mentioned they had to pull the fuse on the built in sat nav before letting the news cars out of the showroom ( carefully showing the customer how to replace it them moment they left said showroom ! )

6. madbluemad

madbluemad

I always wear trainers when driving, no matter where I am. Haven't heard about the GPS but its not very often Ive ever come across police in Spain at all.
    Jim
    :Smile:

7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Trainers would be fine I should think Jim.. Flip flops refer I believe, to those things you slip on your feet and are held in place with a thong affair usually..

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Sat Navs are legal in Spain .. they are sold openly in all the big stores.

however fixed speed camera POIs are illegal and should be deactivated .. and be aware, manually using mobile phones, navigation devices or any other communication system, earns three points and a €200 fine

9. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I must have been lucky as I have never had any problems with the police in any European country.

I would say though, in my opinion driving in unsuitable footwear is dangerous.

Doug...

10. trophychap

trophychap Funster

I concur that AFIK it's only the scamera warnings they get their knickers in a twist over! (Jen)

11. RVfulltimer

RVfulltimer Read Only Funster

I never drive anywhere in flip flops or any type of loose slip on footwear now because one day in spain we had been shoping in the car and dropped in on some friends in a bar outside the camp site we were staying on ,as soon as we pulled up a spanish reg car pulled in behind and across the the car a well dressed man about 30 years of age approached the passenger side of the car as my wife was just about to get out ,she hadnt undone the seat belt and i was just undoing mine the guy asked in spanish if he could top up his mobile in the reception of the camp site ,before we could answer he made a grab for the wifes hand bag in it was cards cash passports everything licences the lot ,but she held on and was shouting robbo bastardo etc so i jumped out as he was trying to make his getaway with just the wooden handle of the hand bag in his hand as he ran i chased after him but just as i was about to grab him by the neck i lost my righy flip flop and went over on my arse and he jumped into the car with his mate and the sped off ,called the police they didnt want to know .

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i agree with Jim,

spain is craking down on radar detectors and jammers, not satnavs BUT camera POI's MUST be disabled as, in their eyes, it constitutes cameras (read as 'fine') evasion.

many cars have satnav built in so they cant ban them altogether but can put restrictions on them, which they have...as above.

and i though General Franco was dead :Doh:

we made the decision a while ago not to go to spain again due to the ridiculous driving restrictions imposed recently.

their loss....theres always france. :thumb:

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I really hate the ruddy camera warning rubbish anyway.. it is only rarely turned on if travelling through a lot of small towns ( in italy it is VERY easy to miss a max speed sign ! )

So again, that wil not be a problem for me :Smile:

As to driving in flip flops being dangerous..
    Best keep WELL clear of me then.. I have not worn anything bar crocs for donkeys years
    Often drive with no shoes at all !!

I do occasionaly ride the Blackbird with boots on :Wink:

14. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's in their blood - Spanish Inquisition.

15. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Just found out how to turn it off on my Garmin Nuvi 5000. In the process I discovered how to input routes.

16. trevosky

trevosky Read Only Funster

sat nav

Advert on Spanish telly last night bloke reading map while driving almost accident,ending you wouldnt read a map while driving so preset gps before setting off!!!:Smile: Trev

17. cyclingdoglucy

cyclingdoglucy Read Only Funster

flip flap brain

( a good friend showed me a ticket he got for € 60 for driving in flip flops ! .

how dangerous driving in flip/flops, i think he should have gone to jail myself , the devastation that you could cause if your feet slip off the controls (pedals) does not bear thinking about, how stupid ! :Doh:.
    mr bean

18. scottishtourer

scottishtourer Read Only Funster

Spain , No Problem

WE have spent many months in Spain over the last 15 years in Motorhomes, Providing your GPS is not also a a speed camera detector you should have no problems, The flip flop thing is correct many UK drivers i am told have had accidents with them catching in the pedals, We ahve never had any problems with the Police apart from being chucked off wild camping spots, you should have no problems whatsoever..

19. pappajohn

sat nav legal :thumb:

speed camera POI's illegal :Sad:

radar detectors illegal...but they are in most EU countries. :Eeek:

just disable camera POI's :thumb:

flipflops..backless sandles...bare feet illegal :Angry:

second pair of specs (if worn) compulsory :thumb:

20. pappajohn

:Doh: threads nearly 3 months old :Blush: