Question re 12v sockets

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Anna, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

Hi
    Looking to buy a 12 volt hairdryer and see they all seem to come with cigarette type plugs. Our camper has a couple of 12 volt sockets which have 2 slits. Can someone please explain to me what these are for and if I can purchase a hairdryer with a plug to use in one of these? I know a 12 volt hairdryer probably won't be up to much but figure it might be useful in attempting to put my short hairstyle in the right direction lol!
    Anna

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Anna, to start with can you point us in the direction of the hair drier you are thinking of buying ?
    I would like to see the spec of it before making any suggestion ( to be safe )

There may be better options

3. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

Oh, thanks for your reply, haven't got as far as choosing one yet and that was going to be my next question ha ha! So, if you can shed any light on these 12 volt fitted sockets and can recommend a 12 volt hairdryer, I would be very grateful.

4. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

The sockets you describe are designed to take a plug commonly available at caravan stores etc normally a beige coloured plastic, I think you can also get an adaptor from this type to the cigar lighter type socket, Jaws is correct though more info on the hairdryer is needed, as it might require more power than the socket is safely capable of providing.

5. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Hi Anna don't know much about hair dryers ,but if you want to plug it into socket in Motorhome buy a 12v plug from eBay or a caravan shop.Then you simply cut the cigarette plug off the end of hair dryer peel back the wire and fit the 2pin plug.Then plug in and use,there's nothing to it I've done it with my TV and wii.
    Vlad .

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

how long do you have to dry your hair ?????

chances are it will self dry faster than these so called 12v driers will do it.

if a mains drier takes 10 mins to do its job a 12v one may take an hour.

far better to buy an inverter (turns 12v battery power into 230v mains power) and use a proper mains drier.

7. pappajohn

just looked at a selection of 12v driers and all seem to be around 15amps which is borderline for 12v sockets and you may find you blow fuses regularly.

8. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

Hi Thanks for that info. I keep my hair short and it does self dry fairly quickly but I need a hairdryer to finish it off and basically take the kinks out of it as I like it to be straight. Sort of like using a hot brush or straighteners on my hair, which would be dry or almost dry. So thought a fairly cheap 12 volt hairdryer would, hopefully, do the job.

9. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

Oh, dear, that doesn't sound so good then!

10. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

11. pappajohn

if its this type socket....then they are usually rated at 15amps so you may get away with it for short periods but find the location of the fuse and have a few to hand.

[​IMG]

round type cig lighter sockets can be either 10amp (120watts) or 15amp (180watts) depending where they are.

factory fitted dashboard ones are usually for cig lighter plugs and are 10amp (some are converted to 15amp for general use.)

ones in the hab area, fitted by the motorhome converter, are generally 15amp.

it sounds like it wouldnt take long to finish your hair so you may be ok.

12. pappajohn

13. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

Yes, that looks like the 12 volt sockets. We have 2 of them and one is close to a fitted mirror, so would be ideal.....not that I'm vain just like to look my best lol!

14. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

Great, thanks for all the help! Will send for that hairdryer then and also a 12 volt plug. Hubby says there are plenty spare fuses in the cupboard too! Going to head off south to Portugal after Christmas so need a 12 volt hairdryer for enroute!

15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Hmmm.. seems I am late coming back on this one and all the right answers have been given already :thumb:

Mind you, there is one option not mentioned..

Ok, it is a bit off the wall so to speak but it def dries hair and uses NO battery power what so ever....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  16. pappajohn

excellent John.

that will dry it in seconds and plait it as well :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. pappajohn

on that type of plug the larger of the two blades is the positive (+)....in a cig lighter plug the centre pin is the positive.

because it's just a heating coil and a simple motor is shouldn't make any difference which way you connect it, but if it should suck instead of blow simply swap the wires round in the plug.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

19. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

Hi Maggie
    Thanks for your reply.
    I don't like straighteners as they always seem to make my hair too flat, probably can't work them right! Also, wouldn't want to have to source replacement gas cells as I live in France and replacements seem very expensive on EBay.
    Don't know anything about inverters. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to explain. My ordinary hairdryer is 1600 watts so what sort of inverter would I
    need and would that be expensive?

20. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Send me you address Anna, and I will send you one......you can have it as a christmas present - not used either!

• Like Like x 1