Question on how much sikaflex?

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by RidersofRohan, Apr 18, 2016.

1. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

I have read most of the posts on this section and purchased a 100w solar panel and all the various bits and pieces recommended.
    But there is one query that I can't find asked.
    I am using 1m x 50mm aluminium angle and intend to try to achieve 2-3mm thickness of Sikaflex 512. I have bought a 300ml tube of the stuff and my maths capabilities don't extend to calculating if one tube is enough.
    Could someone confirm one tube is enough, as its not easy to get hold of at short notice and once started the job has to be finished in one "stick down".
    Thanks and great work in this section, giving a DIY duffer such as me confidence to attempt it.

2. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

I used one tube and fitted 2 140w solar panels using alloy angle brackets (think each bracket was around 8" long) and used 4 brackets on each panel... i did use most of the tube but there is still about a quarter of it left... panels are as solid as they could be - I only used the sikaflex to fix the panels - meaning i didnt screw them down aswell .

3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Agree one tube should be enough, I used one when I fitted 2 panels with 6 brackets on each used less than2/3 of a tube.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Depends how messy you are! :LOL: One tube should be sufficient so long as you don't put it down on the roof and it continues to squirt out all over the place! :rolleyes: Its a begger to clean off too!!! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

I used aluminium angle to fix 2x120w solar panels. The angle aluminium were pop riveted across the (ends) width of the Solar panels.
    To achieve the recommended 2mm bed of Silaflex I drilled and tapped 4x small holes near the ends of each angle screwed in 4x threaded bolts so the protruded 2mm. This enabled an even bed of Silaflex to form under each piece of angle.
    I left the bolts in situ for 24hrs then filled the holes with Silaflex. Also using masking tape to mark the position of each aluminium angle, once a skin had formed on the squashed out excess I removed the masking tape leaving a neat edge behind.
    All done with one tube of Silaflex, that said I purchased 2 just in case. I cleaned the area were the aluminium angle would be sitting with Panel Wipe fluid. They have never moved, but I do check just in case lol.
    Colin

6. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

Great one it is then. Thanks for the tips too, messy it will be.
    I even woke up in the night trying to work out millilitres and cubic millimetres and decided I either needed 3 tubes or a third of a tube! No I can't repeat the maths.
    Now is it going to be too cold for the curing process high in the Pennines today and tonight. Yes probably.
    Thanks again

7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I always have a spare tube. It's no good having an issue of any kind mid job

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

AS for curing time, data sheets are available online, just look up the one for the type of sika you are using it will give times and temps then just leave it a lot longer to be sure, to be sure:D

9. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

4 degrees, think it might have to wait until its safe to put the bedding plants out up here (usually May). Pity lovely sunny day today but still cold 2 degrees this morning and will be cold again tonight.

10. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

If buying from B&Q they will refund any you don't need. See if your supplier will do the same and then overorder.

Wyn

11. RidersofRohan

RidersofRohan Funster

Decided to fix up all the internal wiring then wait for warmer weather as it is too risky on low overnight temperatures today for the glue. My local B+Q stocks Sika EBT for £7, but i'll use the 512 that I have, its more a case of not wanting any worries in my mind as I drive along (well no more than usual).

12. maxsdad

maxsdad Funster

Fitted 2x 100w panels with one tube using plastic brackets screwed to panels but not the roof.
    Full width brackets at front, corner brackets at rear and small centre brackets in centre, stuck a few plastic tile spacers under the brackets first to get even thickness of adhesive, done twice first van still good when sold after three years

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

As an aside to this, whilst at the show there was one stall selling flexible panels of different qualities, one made in Thailand (or somewhere like) and the other in Europe ... can't remember where! The cheaper one (and it was a LOT cheaper) didn't come with any fixings, which they don't normally, so you'd have to use Sikaflex (or similar) mastic to put it on with, however the more expensive one came with self-adhesive 'tape' on the back so you just needed to remove it and stick it on. Whilst chatting to the young lady about them she didn't seem to know much about how 'we motorhomers' fix them to our roofs and more importantly that sometimes they have to be removed if they fail or need to be transferred to a new vehicle.

Whilst I could see the appeal of a 'self-adhesive' one for ease of fitting once on it would be very, very difficult to remove it without damaging your roof in the process whereas the one stuck on with Sikaflex etc could be much easier removed by carefully running a cheese wire (old guitar string etc) between the panel and the roof to cut through the adhesive.

She obviously didn't know that sometimes you need to remove panels so this was a bit of an eye-opener for her! Not knocking any of the sellers but I wish they would research their products and HOW they are used/fitted etc a little bit more.

14. Bart

Bart Funster

Once you have stuck your panels down with Sikaflex how do you stop the panels from being caught by a gust of wind until the sikaflex sets ? , or are they generally ok left alone until its fully set.

15. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Generally left alone, it would take some fierce winds to move a panel.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

If my maths is correct you will need 0.3litre (300cc) to attach 2 x 1000 x 50 x 3mm thick angles.

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

You don't stick the panels down.
    lay the panel with mounts on the roof and pencil around the mounting outline.
    Remove the mounts from the panel, sikaflex the roof inside the pencilled outline, place the mounts accurately in the sikaflex.
    Use a tape measure to be 100% sure when the mounts are laid in.
    When its dry install the panel.
    Sikaflex has an excellent wet suction ability anyway and if you do fix panels and mount as one it will take a strong wind to lift the panel.

18. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

I'd buy 2 tubes.
    You might only need one for the job but it's always good to have spare tube in your tool box for emergencies.
    I work on the basis that if I've got one in the tool box then I probably won't need it, and if I haven't then ther will probably come a time when I wish I had, a bit like gaffa tape, always have so e in the tool box ' cause you never know . . . . .

19. Bart

Bart Funster

I take it the people here that have used angle aluminium as brackets , and have pop riveted their panels to the frames have done so after the brackets had been sikaflexed to the roof as you said ,, just i seen 1 video of some guy on you tube who fixed the brackets to the panel , then placed it on the roof ,, marked around the brackets on the roof where it would be fixed ,removed the panel then cleaned & keyed that area & applied sikaflex to that area and repeated for his 4 brackets , then he relaid the panel onto the sikaflex and allowed it to set , for me thats a 2 man job and also i'd worry about the panel getting moved buy a strong gust of wind , ( but mind you i've never lifted a panel yet in real life to see how heavy or light it is ,, so i guess as @Kool Kroozer has already said it would take some gust to move it ) :D

20. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Yes i did mine ass backwards.. I bolted my angle brackets to panel and took up on the roof..pencil marked around brackets and lifted panel up so it was standing up on it side.. I then sikaflexed the underneath of eack bracket and the lay it down onto the pencil marked area.. This i thought was a good idea as i had used bolts with nyloc nuts on the back as i wanted to make sure they wouldnt rattle loose.. And as i thought the panels were going to be up there for a good few yrs i wanted to make sure they were held in place good.. 3 months down the road i have had to remove one of the ge 140w panels to fit an awning and wat a fkin game i had trying to get the panel off.. Ended up sawing the bolt heads off to free the panel.. So a word of warning.. Think an escape route before bolting, screwing, bonding anything down lol