Question for you pet lovers out there.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by lesleyjean, May 2, 2013.

1. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

Question for you pet lovers out there.

I have 2 Bichon Frise, lovely fluffy 'teddy bear' type dogs.

When I was coming back home from Spain last time.

The vet said that Buster needed his teeth brushing.

I made a joke and said, "Buster are you listening to the vet. You must brush your teeth":BigGrin:

Do you guys brush your dogs teeth every day and if so how do you do it.:Smile:

I was just sitting doing nothing and looked in Busters mouth.

Behind his lower front teeth was a build up of plaque.

I scraped it with my fingernail and one bit came off.:Smile:

I went to the next tooth and tried to do the same again, but his tooth was loose and wobbly so I left him alone.

So come on guys.

What do you do?:Smile:

2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

there used to be something u gave a dog which was like a tooth cleaner but i cant remember what it is but we never clean ours teeth we have a lhasapoo and the bloody sod would prolly bite me if i did try to clean em :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi, the vet suggested we do the same and duly supplied us (for some hard earned) with beef flavoured (think about it) toothpaste and a brush.

I took home my normally well behaved Staffy and set about cleaning his teeth with the above toothpaste. After several tooth brushes it was obvious this wasn't going to work, he was not for the 'just brushed look' and without me loosing some fingers or an arm in the process I decided on another tact.

We now give our dog Dentasticks, one every morning and his teeth are spotless (well as spotless as a dogs can get) and he loves them - he is now blessed with pearly gnashers and we have the benefit of reduced dog breath, without the efforts of trying to brush them.:Eek!:

Well worth a try.

I have kept the beef toothpaste for a future practical joke :BigGrin:

Hope it helps,
    Regards,

Trikeman. :Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

dentasticks for Tara too

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

After spending several hundred quid on extraction and clean up work on our cavalier we have started a brushing routine, well, the wife has. :Laughing: The dog looks forward to it now and licks and chomps away at the toothbrush while the wife pushes the brush in and out and backwards and forwards. I think dog likes the liver flavoured paste best. :Smile: She has one or two nights off per week when she has a denta stick treat instead. Pet shops do a brush that slips over the finger and is more accurate, if that's the word I'm looking for, but not for the fainthearted if you don't trust your dog. :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bluemerle

Bluemerle Read Only Funster

My dogs teeth were in a fairly bad state when I took her on. My vets description was "a young dog with old dogs teeth".

I have brushed them, I have used the Seaweed supplement that is supposed to soften the tartar, and she sometimes has the chew sticks. But the best thing I found was changing her food to raw meat and bones. The action of her chewing a big lump of chicken carcase, meaty lamb bones etc has made a huge difference.

Her teeth will never be good as the damage was done before I got her, however my Vet anticipated dental work would be required within 18 months of getting her, I celebrate 7years this month and to date no work required!

I am not suggesting you change your dog to raw food, as every one has to make their own choices, but as dog owners we have a duty to keep our dogs teeth cleaned by whatever method .

• Like Like x 2
  7. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

I have a 12 year old Labrador and have never done anything with his teeth. Had him to the vet yesterday for his annual jab (waste of money, but that's for another thread!) the vet checked his teeth and said they were perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Last edited: May 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Bluemerle

Bluemerle Read Only Funster

No I am not joking, My dog has eaten raw chicken for the last 5 years. Its cooked chicken bones that you mustnt give to them, as the cooking makes the bone very brittle.

• Like Like x 3
  11. maz

maz Funster

I was told to give Nix a sterilised hollow bone with her favourite filling (peanut butter) inside. Chomping away on that seems to keep the plaque at bay - and keeps her occupied for a considerable length of time too. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Dentasticks for our two yorkys ,shiny teeth and no bad breath,:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

If the chicken carcass is raw , you can give it to a dog. The raw meat and bones is very good for your dog , if they take to it.
    Unfortunately we tried it with Buster a couple of years ago , and he didn't take to it. We thought he had at first , but then he went two days without anything to eat. He is a bit weird though, he has to eat his tea outside on the back doorstep, he wont eat it if you give it him inside.
    He likes the odd beef bone , raw , of course. You should never give them cooked bones , though.
    We give ours antlers. Expensive , from the pet shop. These help scrape the tartar off the teeth , and they love them and they last a long time too.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We give ours the raw hide type dog chews, they work a treat and are a fraction of the cost of Dentasticks.

As for giving a dog bones, IMV this is a very bad idea, bones cooked or raw can splinter and cause all sorts of internal damage.

If anyone does intend to do this please ask your vet FIRST and ensure you know what you are doing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Nylabone and Dentastix when we still had Toby:Sad:

The vet said that dry kibble food was best for his teeth, hmm, tried telling Toby that, he refused to eat dry food and always preferred tinned food with mixer:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Sharing peanut butter:Eeek: not in this house it's all mine:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  17. maz

maz Funster

Not sharing - I only buy it for Nix. I can't stand the stuff! :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Leltel

Leltel Funster

Marmite has sea jerky bones from fish4dogs. They work a treat, much better than denta sticks....a bit smelly though:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We give Meg Dentastix, but occassionaly give her teeth a brush, though she eats the toothpaste so I'm not sure it has much effect.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

Dentasticks for our four and they seem to work. Am expert at finding them on special offer and buy them in bulk.

Kath and Howie

• Like Like x 1