Question for the mechanics amongst you. (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just drove from Harwich home to Dumfries today after our holiday in Scandinavia, a couple of times when I pressed the accelerater the revs shot up to 3000 for a split second then back down. It was similar in effect to clutch slipping but I hadn't changed gear for over 20 mins so it wasn't that. I have a fiat ducato on a 2010 plate 2.3d apart from this I have coverd just over 2000 miles with no issues, it will be due a service soon so will ask my mechanic guy when I take it just looking for a heads up.

Gerry

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Slipping clutch caused by wear or contamination, or your clutch cable is too tight.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Gerry oil leek on to clutch possible cases worn clutch but with out driving it I would not know
you bet me to it john

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
DMF Duel Mass Flywheel slipping
they dont like High Gears & Low revs, change down on hills.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
the springs wear on a dmf & cause clutch slip

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Sounds like the DMF failing, had that on my car & replaced it with a solid flywheel.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If the engine revs really did rise (and not just an instrument anomaly), it's got to be clutch slip. It may or may not be related to DMF issues but ultimately, any disparity between road speed and engine revs must involve the clutch.

Get it seen too before you find yourself stranded. You've had a warning. Don't ignore it.

Tim

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the replys it certainly sounded like clutch slip to me but didn't think it would happen when I hadn't changed gear for more than 20 minutes. Will get it checked out.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If a clutch slips under sudden load it will continue to slip until... A) the load is removed
B) the road speed closely matches the engine speed.

The engine speed will not momentarily rise then drop in a second or so.

Dont know how old the van is (yes i do, i just reread the post) but i suspect new enough for the tachometer to be ECU controlled so i suspect an electronic glitch.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
DMF's are :

Sugar
Hotel
India
Tango

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for the replys it certainly sounded like clutch slip to me but didn't think it would happen when I hadn't changed gear for more than 20 minutes. Will get it checked out.

Well the important question is was it just a tacho needle movement that you noticed or could you actually hear the engine revs rise? If the latter, it's got to be the clutch (or, in very slippery conditions, wheel spin)

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If the springs on the DMF wear & they do because it is a crap design you will hear a rise in engine speed & notice the Tacho rise in speed however your actual speed will stay the same or reduce due to the clutch slip.

Best replaced with a standard flywheel & clutch or adjust your driving style.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
The motorhome after our recent trip has now done 24k and never had a problem with it, when you take off from a standstill and go up through the gears there's no issue. It has only happened when I have been sitting about 60mph and pressed accelerator to overtake, the revs shoot up on the rev counter and you hear the engine race for no more than a second then its back to normal. Even on very steep hills it pulls away no problem and reversing up hills isn't an issue.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Defo DMF pulling all that weight around all day long...............................................

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The motorhome after our recent trip has now done 24k and never had a problem with it, when you take off from a standstill and go up through the gears there's no issue. It has only happened when I have been sitting about 60mph and pressed accelerator to overtake, the revs shoot up on the rev counter and you hear the engine race for no more than a second then its back to normal. Even on very steep hills it pulls away no problem and reversing up hills isn't an issue.

Well I don't know enough about DMFs to say whether it's a factor or not but revs rising without road speed rising is either wheelspin or clutch slip. There are no other options.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Sell it and get a new one...

You know you want to.

JJ :cool:
No............................. just put a standard flywheel & clutch in it when you can..................... maybee 2 years time just drive it carefully

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi Gerry, good to see you back home safely.. a memorable trip I hope..
it doesn't sound like there Is too much wrong with your clutch but you cant get away from the fact something unusual happened..you didn't mention any management lights on but if the fault was momentary it can generate a pending code which wont bring light on but I believe can be read.. so if fault was more electronic then someone with right equipment might be able to shed some light..
theres no getting away from the fact that if engine speed rose and vehicle speed didn't then the clutch has to slip....as has been said. hope you get sorted
ta andy

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Was there a severe side wind at the time? I have had times when driving over the M62 in a Luton bodied van when the driving wheel has lifted off the road just enough to produce the effect you say.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back