Question about feet!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by OddSocks, Apr 12, 2014.

1. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

My camper has wind down stabilising feet at the back. Should I be looking for a couple of wooden squares or something similar to wind them down on to?

Also, how far down do you wind them (I know, until they touch the floor right!) lol

I mean, Once they are down they start to lift the back of the van. Should I do this a little, or a lot, or not at all? Not sure what is the best practice! :Confused:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

A Name like yours and you ask about feet:Rofl1:

You need caravan leg pads see pic
    they stay in place permanently save all the bending and forgeting to pick em up

Drop leg and apply light pressure to just support the van its a stabiliser not a jack or a leveler:Doh:
    Geo

Link Here

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Or you do like my Dad did when we caravanned carry random bits of wood and make your oldest son collect them and scrape off worm casts and slugs

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Never mind expensive leg pads. Cut a chopping board in half, drill two holes in each piece and fit a handle made of an electrical cable off cut knotted behind each hole. Lightweight, easy to use and reasonably priced :Smile:

All the bending gives you exercise and not forgetting to pick em up keeps your mind active :Laughing:

• Like Like x 3
  5. wingman

wingman Funster

Hi Oddsocks,

They are just to 'stabilise' your van to prevent rocking when you move around inside. I had them on my previous 'van (wish I had them on my current one). Just wind them down until they 'bite'. Don't jack the van up with them!!!

I bought some robust plastic caravan pads at Peterborough Show last year. Cost me £9 for a pack of four (only needed two, but that's the way they came). They spread the load whilst on soft ground and prevent the legs from digging themselves in. They're better than lumps of wood because they are light and any mud just washes off.

Oh, and don't forget to wind the legs back up before you move off :Wink:

6. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

Thanks everyone! Knew I could rely on this forum to get the low down on feet! :Rofl1: Now I know where I stand :Rofl1:

I might knock something up in my dads garage, he has all sorts in there. I do like the idea of having something permanently attached though.

Talking of levelers - where would I get them from?

7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Go to your local joiners yard and ask them for an offcut of the thickest wood they have. Should be free but if you don't ask them right they may ask you for £1 or £2. 9" by 9" is more than enough.

Wind down until the wood is pushed firmly onto the ground but not until the van is being lifted in any way.

PS: if you are going to stratford and can wait until then I will bring you a set for free. If anyone else wants some let me know and I will bring a load.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-M...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item27d811730f

9. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

Tip
    leave the winding handle across your clutch /brake pedal after lowering the legs - saves you driving off and leaving scrapes and amusing the neighbours :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

seen a few vans do that over the years, at best it rips up the grass, but worst will bend the legs so they wont wind back up. Helped a very embarrassed guy to unbolt his when he pulled off a pitch with them down and then tried to drive onto a concrete road a few inches higher than the grass. the legs were bent and the threaded spindle buckled too. thankfully he didnt seem to damage his chassis

11. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We have legs with the plastic bits on them as pads.
    I had to take them off as they flapped in any slightest breeze and kept me awake at night.
    We couldn't use them many times especially on Aires where they are not allowed so removed them.
    Good tip about putting the winding handle on the brake pedal, we do that when we do use them though.
    Have got used to the rocking motion when they are not deployed though.
    Strange how some have them and some don't.
    Our last van had longer overhang than this one and didn't have them.
    This is the first van we have owned that has them.

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes, good tip. I always do that (when I remember) :BigGrin:

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

?

never heard of.. or ever saw any sign saying that,, where did you get that info from ?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  14. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

found Amazon the cheapest for the Milenco ones, they even arrived covered in bubble wrap which I thought was rather funny as I put a four tonne van on them. :Doh:

15. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Use the off cuts from the pads:Rofl1:

16. Bellini

Bellini Funster

I have a couple of Draper 6-tonne bottle jacks in Udo for stabilising, primarily at the rear.

Never used them yet but they have a clear double usage. They're immensely compact to store, too.

17. maz

maz Funster

The levellers that Geo referred to are hydraulic legs that will automatically level the van for you - at a price of several grand! Most of us just use levelling ramps as Clive referred to (Milenco are the most substantial - three or four step).

Some vans don't really need corner steadies - depending on a combination of their height/rear overhang/general stability. I used them on my previous van but don't bother with the current one. :Smile: