Question about 12v sockets

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Mags52, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

In our Geist MH there are two 12v sockets in the habitation area. One is a standard size (cigarette lighter) type socket and the other is smaller. Its round but considerably smaller in diameter. I've looked on line and I can see a Hella plug to go in this socket. Is that the right one?
    I want to fit a strip of LED lights under the kitchen cupboards and this is the nearest 12v socket.
    Thanks in advance.
    Mags

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes, that is the correct plug..

however, if you want to fit LED under-unit lighting, better hard wired into the 12v supply to the socket, with switch and in-line fuse...

Not a big job..

• Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Yes, the smaller is a hella (or sometimes called a DIN socket.)

Far superior to a cig socket in that the latching system is positive and can't vibrate loose, unlike cig sockets which rely on friction between plug and socket.
    Usually a higher amperage rating as well.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Thanks for the quick response. We've had the van four years and I don't know how many times I've looked at it and wondered. Now I know. :)

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The 12v sockets on the habitation side of our Burstner are all Hella but the appliances we want to use (mainly charging) all have a cig lighter plug.
    When we bought the Burstner we already had a couple of decent multi-socket adapters so I bought a couple of These Plugs and changed them on the adapters. They are good quality plugs and easy to change but I notice they have gone up a bit from £2 plus postage in 3 years.

• Like Like x 1