Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
In our Geist MH there are two 12v sockets in the habitation area. One is a standard size (cigarette lighter) type socket and the other is smaller. Its round but considerably smaller in diameter. I've looked on line and I can see a Hella plug to go in this socket. Is that the right one?
I want to fit a strip of LED lights under the kitchen cupboards and this is the nearest 12v socket.
Thanks in advance.
Mags

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
yes, that is the correct plug..

however, if you want to fit LED under-unit lighting, better hard wired into the 12v supply to the socket, with switch and in-line fuse...

Not a big job..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, the smaller is a hella (or sometimes called a DIN socket.)

Far superior to a cig socket in that the latching system is positive and can't vibrate loose, unlike cig sockets which rely on friction between plug and socket.
Usually a higher amperage rating as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the quick response. We've had the van four years and I don't know how many times I've looked at it and wondered. Now I know. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The 12v sockets on the habitation side of our Burstner are all Hella but the appliances we want to use (mainly charging) all have a cig lighter plug.
When we bought the Burstner we already had a couple of decent multi-socket adapters so I bought a couple of Broken Link Removed and changed them on the adapters. They are good quality plugs and easy to change but I notice they have gone up a bit from £2 plus postage in 3 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back