Quality built V Age related (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I am about to take my beloved 1987 Hymer 660 on a round trip of about 2000 kms... I will tell you how reliable she is when I get back... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Jesus, your not actually going to watch City in the flesh and become a supporter, putting money over the turnstile are you?? Well done:winky::winky::winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
You have never seen inside the back of the Wagon have you Terry... :ROFLMAO:

It is... how shall I put this?... a slobby, lazy, single man's paradise... unfit for normal human life... :thumb:

I love it when the customs say the classic words "open up the back sir, we are looking inside..." :ROFLMAO:

They don't hang about for long I can tell you! :ROFLMAO:

Here Here JJ I will second that:thumb::winky:....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Jesus, your not actually going to watch City in the flesh and become a supporter, putting money over the turnstile are you?? Well done:winky::winky::winky:

OMG Tony... you naughty little Red Liverpudlian you (or are you Leeds FC)... I assume that post is an attempt at (the so called) famous Scouse humour...:Eeek:

It almost reads as if you believe me to be an armchair supporter! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

They would not have been able to buy any players had it not been for the money I have spent going to the matches over the last 40 plus years...

The thing is though... and how should I put this modestly?... while I do indeed go through turnstiles sometimes... More often I go through the front door and up into the hospitality areas... :winky:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi JJ
I've been in the United hospitality boxes myself a few times as a guest of one of our suppliers, I think that's where I've seen you before, your not a Manc red in disguise are you:roflmto:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi JJ
I've been in the United hospitality boxes myself a few times as a guest of one of our suppliers, I think that's where I've seen you before, your not a Manc red in disguise are you:roflmto:

This is unacceptable... Such an accusation is libel... and, worst for you, you are no longer on my Christmas Card list... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

My people will be touch very, very soon with the paperwork... :Angry::Angry::Angry:

And be very afraid... they were considering making an offer Slobadoberbob couldn't refuse and have him on our side in court... :Eeek::Eeek:

You are history...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You have never seen inside the back of the Wagon have you Terry... :ROFLMAO:

It is... how shall I put this?... a slobby, lazy, single man's paradise... unfit for normal human life... :thumb:

That's how I try to describe mine when people ask if they can come back for a beer :ROFLMAO:.

Would never dream of bringing a woman back to mine hence it was designed with a single bed.... Not rich like you so can't afford to keep two vans on the road.:winky::thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
OK boys now we have had the banter can we please get back to the original post as its important to me. Am realy interested in your thoughts on this one :whatthe::RollEyes:

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I suppose I am somewhere in the middle...quality built , but not too old. Started off with a converted Iveco daily which was a bit on the 'tatty' side, then bought a Swift Kontiki (1991), which really liked the layout, but was a real slug ( my dogs loved it ). Now have a 2000 Hymer with a bit more power and quality build. I personally could not justify spending a fortune on a new vehicle, as from previous posts they are not without problems either..

Shirl

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thought that JJ, his private life multiple vans and football loyalties were the subject... he/you sounds like an interesting character

We recently bought our 1992 Hymer S670 deliberately due to quality and repairability, it was a concsious choice.

Our first real MH I built on Mercedes 609D, again from choice as we wanted to feel we could repair or have it repaired easily in N Africa and the Middle East, just as Stcyr did for his travels with a MB 608D.

We did around 100,000 kms in 3 years without so much as a wheel nut coming loose, it worked as well when we sold it on as the day we started. Heard from the current owner a month or two ago, it's still going strong.

That does exclude one episode somehwere in southern Europe where we were driving through the night in a snow storm, Rosie said that she thought the back axle was about to fall off. As she is so sweet I didn't question her, went and laid under the van in melting snow for an hour to find nothing at all (that's the short version).

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Ye and all the luggage on the roof rack because the boot was full of spare parts just in case. Also setting off from Manchester at 11 PM to get to Cornwall for lunchtime next day..........Ahh those were the days:ROFLMAO:

It is still like that down here in the S/W on the M5 in the summer.
Usually old veedubs scattered along the hard shoulder around telegraph hill or Bodmin area.
Surfer guys smoking strange ciggys watching the AA dude do his thing--.:Cool:
I don`t want to say anymore--i might be tempting fate!!

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
It's a bit like anything old, car, MH or house etc, they have more character and there's a sense of the familiar, but in all cases they are more effort to keep going although will probably keep going for longer than modern things?

Living with older vehicles if a lifestyle choice too as you give up all the super modern inovations be they basic things like better wipers and washers, through heaters that work and on to electronic braking and suspension systems that are now available.

Last thought. Maybe older MH's are a better bet than old houses and cars as people using them have more time to savour the quality and character built into them?

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
When i changed from small VW`s to a larger van,I started looking at old VW LT conversions and Merc conversions from Germany ,ie good solid vehicles without electronics etc.But SWMBO insisted that we get a nice low mileage modern van,which in her words would be cheaper to run and I wouldnt have to spend hours looking after it. I wish now that I had stuck to my guns ,but its anything for a quite life.:RollEyes:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I run a nearly new Volvo car and nightmare under bonnet and plugs in only, if they fit a part and the puters say NO they throw away the part and put another on.....:Doh:
When the service contract run out I will say goodbye to her but love her but servicing will be out of my league.

My Tabbert 580 is superb and built to last and for me I could have not chosen better so slight pre V reg good for me, run on 2.5 euro style engine shared by# many manufacturers and hence easy to work with :Cool:

In how weather in Morocco getting 30 mpg and I pleased? YOU :youbetcha::coolthumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back