Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi Folks!

We are currently in the Hautes Pyrenees at Cauterets and having what can only be described as the times of our lives. What a fantastic Place this is.

Tomorrow we will be visiting Gavarnie and then the plan was to slowly head towards Biarritz.

Are there any must see places between here and the coast?

Does anyone know of any great Aires or little (cheap) campsites perhaps a few miles away from the town and the coast (we have a bike and prefer quieter places to stay)?

We want to visit San Sebastian over the border in Spain. Are we best leaving the van in France and using the scooter? I heard they are not that MH Friendly and certainly when we went over the border on the Med side there was virtually nowhere to park the van!

Went up on the little cable car yesterday to the ski slopes, what a laugh. We enjoyed it so much the chap at the bottom let us go around again for free!

Weather has been brilliant since leaving calais and sometimes very hot down here. Had one rubbish day 3 days ago but spent the afternoon driving.

Cheers all and dont work to hard!!!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
ACSI says:

camping-ilbarritz
avenue de Biarritz
64210 Bidart (Aquitaine)
France

N 43° 27' 10.9" W 1° 34' 23.8"

Tel: +33 (0)5-59230029 Fax: +33 (0)5-59412459 e-mail: contact@camping-ilbarritz.com
For €15

Camping Juantcho *** 875 route de la Corniche
64122 Socoa/Urrugne (Aquitaine)
France

N 43° 23' 37.6" W 1° 41' 30"

Tel: +33 (0)5-59471197 Fax: +33 (0)5-59471197 e-mail: camping.juantcho@wanadoo.fr
€13

But some of the other sites are double this and then some.

steveheather

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Pro
Exp
8 Years
San Sebastian

Hi there,

There is a quiet, well recommended Aire in San Sebastian near the University - Pais Vasco.

You will find dertails on the Camping-car Infos website. http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm
Click on 'Cliquez pour entrer'
Then click on the left on 'Chercher/Ajouter une Aire'
Then scroll down and click on' Espagne'
Then scroll down and click on 'Donostia/San Sebastian'

The Aire is 6 Euro's a night and about 45 mins walk from the town. Alternatively, you will find details on the above web page of the bus service available.

Unless either of you are very adventurous, I'd avoid scootering around San Sebastian, especially on the big roads. Things can be a bit mental!

I've not personally stayed on that particular Aire but it has been strongly recommended to me by trusted persons. I plan to try it myself next year when passing. If you do use it, then I'd appreciate a short PM with your own views on it.

I have to agree with you about the Pyrenees. I spent September there last year - fabulous.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks Brian and Steve

Just goes to show how useful the Forum is as I have been using Camping Infos for ages and never realised it covered any other countries besides France! What a Dibble!

Found the Aire Steve and it looks great. Will stay there and let you know what its like.

Anyone recommend must see sites in San Sebastian?

Will probably take the scooter in as we like a challenge. If you dont hear from us after next week assume we have been splatted.

Cheers
Barry

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Lourdes is a must see place its not sad, it really is a nice place and worth spending a few days, it has a touristy part but if you ignore that its worth going.

If you are venturing into Spain then Pamplona may be worth adding to your list, and if you haven't started to head towards the coast yet you may want to consider Andorra, albeit is the opposite way than you were suggesting.

Hope that helps

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi,

Lourdes is a must see place its not sad, it really is a nice place and worth spending a few days, it has a touristy part but if you ignore that its worth going.

Thank you.

Yes we did Lourdes the other day. It was truly moving and a wonderful place to visit. Niether of us are overally religious but it was inspiring to see so many people of strong faith completely overwelmed and overjoyed to be there. Such a happy and caring atmosphere.

Not sure what there is between Lourdes and Biarritz though.

Regards
BD

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The Aire at Biarritz is OK and has electricity. The local police come around at around 7pm each night and at about 6.45 the French disappear and return about aan hour later so as to avoid paying.

Just up the road are a couple of campsites - one is in the ACSI discount book but is down in a ditch and is very heavily shaded which is far from ideal at this time of year. Across the road is Camping Pavillion Royale which is very very nice (on the beach) and very very expensive - about 25 euros a night at this time of year rising to around 60 euros in peak season.

At this time last year swimming was banned along that section of coast due to pollution.

There are a couple of good sites in St Jean de Luz and at least one is in the ACSI book. There is also an Aire next to the railway station.

Have you thought of going to St Jean Pied de Port? There is a nice Aire in the centre of the town and is worth a visit.

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Hi Barry,

While you're at San Sebastion and, if you fancy staying away from the very urban area, there is another aire not too far away at Renteria. Its very rural and up in the mountains complete with decent services.

GPS : N 43°16'02.97 W 001°51'02.72

20100223-_MG_4951.jpg

Sounds like you're having a great time :thumb:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks chaps

Looks great that Aire Neil and just 10 miles from San Sebastian so an easy trip on the bike assuming this weather lasts.

The budget for camping (dont laugh) is a tenner max for a night. First week and a half we payed nothing. Stayed on a couple of little campsites at Roccamadour in the Lot and Lourdes which were about a tenner all in. The Top Aire at Cuaterets where I am right now has about 6 vans on it, loads of space, what appears to be good 16amp hookup all for the princley sum of 8 euros. And to top it all the sun is shining and its warm. We are off shortly on the bike up to Pont d Espagne up in the mountains.

Yep I think its fair to say we are having a good time!

Cheers
Barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back