PWM solar charge controller.... (1 Viewer)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
image.jpeg
Hi all
When we ordered the new van we had a 140w solar panel fitted with 2 leisure batteries, the controller is a EPRC10 - EC pwm solar charge controller as pictured above. I'm a complete novice to solar power so just had a couple of questions...

What is the best setting to have it on, it lists about 16 different settings, lights on after x amount of hours, I can't get my head around this because I thought i would just use
the power it has stored, or is this a power saving setting??

Will this charger also top up the vehicle battery when it is stored, if not what will I need to install

I'm sure all will become clear as we go along but just wondered if anyone could shed some light
Thanks in advance
Dave

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I had one of these a few years ago. The 16 settings you refer to are for switching the load (right hand two terminals) on and off in various sequences. If you are just using this as a solar charger I would ignore this (and don't use those terminals). Just connect up to leisure battery (centre two terminals) and solar panels (left hand two terminals). In that order just to be safe. And double check polarities. It will not charge the vehicle battery as well. You will need another box for this which puts charge into the van battery when the leisure battery gets to a certian level of charge. Others will advise on that.

These are fairly basic chargers and will only deliver max 10 amps which may be ok in the UK. Most on here will advise to upgrade to a better charger as soon as possible, possibly to an MPPT type which are more efficient under most conditions (but not always!).

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks @stevec for taking the time to reply, I appreciate the info, seems like I need to do some homework

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
No problem! There is lots of advice on this forum. Have a look round. It can be confusing but members here are very helpful. Don't forget there's no such thing as a stupid question!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can get them at 30amp . i use two 30amp ones in my trailer .
work great. as said dont use the terminals on the right they are for lighting etc that we usually dont need .
i find they work perfectly . i used a different type for years but changed to those you have 8 yrs ago.
as far as i know 10-15-20-30amp are available .
i have two banks of solar and both use the 30amp . in truth both banks could go through one reg but i decided keep them separate and if a problem i still have power or i could wire both banks through just one reg.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
you can get them at 30amp . i use two 30amp ones in my trailer .
work great. as said dont use the terminals on the right they are for lighting etc that we usually dont need .
i find they work perfectly . i used a different type for years but changed to those you have 8 yrs ago.
as far as i know 10-15-20-30amp are available .
i have two banks of solar and both use the 30amp . in truth both banks could go through one reg but i decided keep them separate and if a problem i still have power or i could wire both banks through just one reg.

Thanks for the info (y)
I have a 140w solar panel, which size charger would suit, we'll only use it for lighting and occasional tv, it would be ideal if it was easy to have it top up the vehicle battery as well because we have the van in storage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
be it right or wrong i like to go for a high amp regulator then you can add another panel or so if you decide you need more .
i also think go for 80-100wt panels then there is less chance of shading or even damage causing a problem .
say a kid drops a pebble off a bridge . possibly only take one panel out . if you have big panels you lose alot.
mind a 10 amp would do for that size mind i still think go higher.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back