LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Anyone with a panel van conversion, using a tilting tow ball mounted bike rack ?

Do they tilt sufficiently to allow the rear doors to be opened with the bike on the rack, or as I imagine, does the bike have to be removed first ?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have a tilting bike rack on my PVC but even with the bike off the rack it won't clear the towball mounting when tilted. I do however like the rack as it is a sturdy bit of kit but is a bulky sod!!

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
That was a quick reply thanks, which one do you use ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
The one I have is a Nighthawk and I bought it around Christmas time. As I said it is a great bit of kit and all locks for the individual bikes are inclusive in the price. However it doesn't fold up so storing it can be an issue. Not a problem at home but on site I tend to chain it to the van.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I have the same issue and just about to buy a Thule 925 that looks as tho it will do the job. If nor I'll take it straight back for a refund.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We have the Atera Strada (a sliding system) and use with our tailgated campervan. Whether you can open the tailgate fully depends on the angle you fix it at and length of handlebars. Obviously if it is tilted up at the rear it gives more ground clearance for going on ferries etc. Once the angle is set and the bikes are on you cant adjust it for that trip. Its a great bit of kit although you have to be careful to ensure the sliding mechanism is locked when travelling

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@Kingham, I will be interested to hear how you get on with the Atera rack as I have a Boxer also. It is one I looked at, but to be honest I couldn't really justify the expenditure given that I only take my bike away occasionally.

Let us know what you think.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Kingham, I will be interested to hear how you get on with the Atera rack as I have a Boxer also. It is one I looked at, but to be honest I couldn't really justify the expenditure given that I only take my bike away occasionally.

Let us know what you think.
The final decision hasn't been made yet Carol and is likely to be a couple of months away still. I don't get the van for another 10 days and I have a few 'higher priority' jobs to sort, before getting a tow bar fitted.

I do like the idea of the Atera and will probably end up down that route, in which case I will let you know how it goes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have the same issue and just about to buy a Thule 925 that looks as tho it will do the job. If nor I'll take it straight back for a refund.
Looking at the photo I wouldn't bother as I don't think it will clear at all ... you really need it to slide away from the doors and tilt down to get the clearance.

upload_2017-4-3_9-1-40.png

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Looking at the photo I wouldn't bother as I don't think it will clear at all ... you really need it to slide away from the doors and tilt down to get the clearance.

View attachment 155798
Thanks for that. It's an IH PVC with a solid back end so I just hope it will tilt enough to allow the bottom back bit to lift up..

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rb...rier_no_ar2700/Qx@w,6M42VAwp3@Rb{~cC4ure5H0E8

I use the Altera for our bikes. I don't have a PVC but we used it on the back of our Land Cruiser which has a horizontal split tailgate, half going up, and the bottom half lowering down. With the Altera rack slid backwards, even with the bikes on I could open the boot properly so I would guess the rear door would be a doddle.

Best bike rack I have ever used or seen, easy to put the bikes on and off, to such an extent that I don't mind doing it. My old rack was such a faff that half the time I couldn't be bothered

t_rifles

Free Member
Feb 18, 2012
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I used the Atera Strada with our PVC. With a Witter towbar, the ball mounted on the lower holes and with a 10mm spacer, the doors would just about clear the wheel spokes, the rubbers would rub. I think its possible to add more spacer on the towbar, but cannot tow like that, but check with the towbar manufacturer or fitter. When full of mountain bikes the carrier can be heavy to push back upright and also the handlebars can impact with the rear window as the bikes wobble a bit past upright even though they were far enough away for normal driving and firmly fixed. Its also worth double checking that the rack has locked properly in the upright position otherwise you might find the bikes travelling closer to the ground than expected.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
.....When full of mountain bikes the carrier can be heavy to push back upright and also the handlebars can impact with the rear window as the bikes wobble a bit past upright even though they were far enough away for normal driving and firmly fixed......

I stopped mountain biking a good while bike and replaced my last one with a lighter cyclocross bike, later followed by an even lighter road bike. Both are fitted with 'racing' type bars, that are not as wide as full mountain bike bars, so hopefully I won't have the same problems, especially as I'm only ever likely to take one bike away with me.

t_rifles

Free Member
Feb 18, 2012
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Agreed, with narrower drop handlebars and lighter bikes its easy to use. With just one bike you could use one of the 2nd position on the carrier and have more clearance. With just one light road bike I used the carrier that was originally fitted on our rear door.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks for that. It's an IH PVC with a solid back end so I just hope it will tilt enough to allow the bottom back bit to lift up..
I know others with the IH special rear have the Thule tilt rack and it is ok. I asked the question on the IH owners forum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back