Pvc Rear Door Mounted Bike Rack (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Any ideas where I can get one that will mount on just one door so the the rear doors can still be opened with it in place ? Obviously not with a bike or two on ---I have not looked around but have been asked if they do them -I know they do the ones that bolt onto a CB and seen some on the backs of PVC s but never really looked at how/where they were fixed or if they where fitted off set -Any links or local type (Halfords etc)where I could pick one up from would be great -thanks
terry

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The Fiamma one for PVC fits onto one door and you can still open the door even with the bikes on. There is a weight limit of 45kg and there are no fixings through the door itself.
I have however drilled through the top rail and then through the door and put in two bolts.

Mike

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Will it fit a 2008 transit and why did you drill the door if it fits without drilling?Just as a precaution ?or stop it been nicked
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I had a Thule bike carrier on my Pug. and as stated it fitted to the offside rear door only and you could open both doors on the van when loaded.
Because it was fitted with no through bolts on the top mounting, it started, overtime to pull the outer door skin away from the inner skin, at the top of the door.
So if your having one fitted, insist on through bolts at the top, even though the fitting instructions say they are not required.

I had a Fiamma back box on mine to carry Golf clubs and Trolly. Not into cycling.

:cooler:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You will need to check in the Fiamma catalogue but I believe that they do one for the transit.
The rack is held on by tension and over use they can drop a bit and also twist the edge of the door. We also travel to Spain with them on so it's just being extra carefull.

Mike

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Have had Fiamma racks on all 3 of my vans - they are fine, but as said previously they can drop a bit, and also they can bend the edges of the doors. Not sure there is anything better of that type of rack, and the advantage is that has also been said, you can use a box for extra storage if not taking bikes with you. My last van's rack had Fiamma telescopic rails for the bikes to sit in which meant fewer bangs on the head when opening closing the back door! We never open the door when the bikes are on the rack, although I know some people do.

roger7

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
There is a lot of leveraged weight on the door at the top fixing point. I have drilled the door as suggested by fiamma and fitted an additional 50 x 1.5mm stainless steel backing plate to spread the load. You can see loads of bent doors when looking around dealers etc

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I asked the Thule technical director about these at the Birmingham show...... he said to ensure the doors are 'beefed up' and to be wary of high shock loads that will cause damage (he said for example driving over speed bumps at speed(!) will cause high G force on the mountings).

Have you thought about tow bar mounted racks?

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sorry to be a pain but any ideas on which model number the transit will require -Only thing I know at the moment is both Thule and Fiamma do them -Been to local Halfords and the guy knew about as much as me (nothing) and told me they don't make/sell them -Looks like buying online unseen so any recommends appreciated
terry
2008 transit twin back doors

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Fiamma 200D is the one that fits the Transit however it is different from the 200DJ which is what is used for the Ducato:
  • the Ford one (1st pic) looks like it has to be bolted through the door
  • the Ducato one (2nd pic) has a bar top and bottom that 'clamps' around the sides of the door
Fiamma bike racks

Ford 200D.jpg
Ducato 200DJ.jpg

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Have a search for ‘swing out wheel carriers‘ as favored by the 4x4 fraternity.
Maybe with you skills you could mount something in a similar way to keep the load off the door

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The lady now wants a tow bar fitting and a bike rack attached so any ideas please on this one
Tterry

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
I had a door mounted bike rack fitted to my Boxer PCV by the dealer when we purchased it.
They did not fix it by drilling through the door, it was held in place by clips on the edges of the door at the ends of the 2 mounting rails and I must say that it is totally unsuitable for purpose. With 2 bikes on it bent the edges of the door out of shape and when we were in Morocco, I saw one that had ripped itself completely off the door. I know very well that Moroccan roads are not the best but then there are UK roads just as bad.
If you are going to have a door fixed rack, then make sure that it is bolted through the door at both top and bottom and be very sure that you do not overload it. I belive 35 kilos is the limit for the Fiamma.
I now have a tow bar fixed bike rack and use the Fiamma for a Carry Box

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The lady now wants a tow bar fitting and a bike rack attached so any ideas please on this one
Tterry
walk into halfrauds, gaze in amazement at the multitude of options open wallet and buy to suit budget. the best towbar mounted carriers cost hundreds for a few bent pieces of metal that a £20 off ebay carriers does just as well

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back