PVC on a ski trip advice please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Phillybarbour, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour Read Only Funster

i have had 3 A Class vans and ski from the van at least twice every year. As the children have all gone I would love a Carthago Malibu PVC but still want to ski.

Has anyone been skiing from there PVC and how did you get on. Was it warm enough? Could you still use water (obviously with waste valve open into a container).

Any advice greatly appreciated before I consider this option any further. A small Panel Van Conversion (PVC) just really appeals for the other things we do.

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

One major question I would have is where will you dry your gear? No big heated garage to stick them in and whilst some have separate shower that could be used instead the Malibu doesn't.

Whilst I also love our PVC I don't think any of them can offer the 'winterisation' that an A-class can - would a different A-class (ie narrower) be better for you instead?

PS: I love some of the blurb on their ads such as "Ceiling lining with microfibre climate-enhancing covering" ... er, that'll be a nice cover then! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

We have come across skiers in the smallest vans imaginable - and without hook up -
    If you stay on sites you can use their ski locker rooms to dry your gear - you won't need to put water in the tanks - you can put plenty of heat in the van on electric -
    Should be fine?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jenben

Jenben Funster

We had a PVC but never went skiing in it but our friends took theirs and stayed on a campsite. They added a layer of thermal curtains inside the van to surround their living space. This worked really well for them and mitigated the problem of the large sliding door letting all the heat out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Doable in a Pössl or Globecar, almost anything else only with all the water drained out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Surely a Burstner Travel van or Hymer Van type compact low profile is a more sensible option?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour Read Only Funster

Thanks for the update guys, all comments appreciated. I am stuck on getting as small a van as I can and really want a PVC.

8. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Have a look here!

9. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Ok great, any modern motorhome can achieve that.
    The important issue is whether the water system works.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Yes, the water system does work. 100 litre in board insulated tank. The only and short, external pipes are to the external water tank that can be heated if required. Our van has a Truma 6 kilowatt diesel heater fed from a 120 litre main fuel tank.

11. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Wildax talk about a European standard for vans in one of their videos.

http://www.wildaxmotorhomes.com/aurora--aurora-leisure

I really would like as many people as possible to buy these vans because I want one and need to buy second hand due to not being rich.. right now they just don't seem to come up second hand :(

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

@Phillybarbour just wondering where you go skiing. It's something we've not done yet in our bus but would love to. Winterisation no problem and have ski chains, etc. we still work so usually fly for skiing as only gone for a week so far and it means we get the most days skiing. Would be really good to know where you've been and for how long.

13. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

That still doesn't answer the question.
    Have you tried your van in persistent sub zero Alpine conditions? Any internal pipe is still at danger of freezing if the area around it isn't heated. Just being inside isn't often good enough.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We've got a new 6.4m Rapido V68 pvc. Haven't used it in the snow yet, but it has an insulated and heated waste tank. Also, dedicated ski storage - make of that what you will...

Currently on our first major outing in France with it and loving the flexibility, ease of driving, extra speed, easy parking, go anywhere feel. So much more relaxing to travel about in than our previous coach builds.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Minxy Girl

In our vans (I've got a Familyscout just like Ludo) the water tank is at the rear offside in a vertical position under the bed (see the below picture and you'll see the filler pipes coming out at the top), the area isn't sealed off from the interior as a coachbuilt MH garage would be so although the water tank itself is boxed in, there is heater outlet which you can see just above the gas locker door on the left with a cover over it (to deflect the heat downwards) so the heat from this will permeate into the tank 'box' and keep it above freezing.

new-2014-globecar-familyscout-l-fiat-150-motorhome-n3037_010.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

Personally, No. However, we do have European friends who do use their Possls/Globecars in such conditions with no problems whatsoever. Indeed, far from it. It was they that led us to our interest in Globecars in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

There are also a further 4 heater outlets in the bathroom, kitchen and lounge areas.

18. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I have a 2012 converted WildAx Constellation, with very efficient electric or gas central heating and a vent in the bathroom which will dry wet clothes hung up in there. The 2 water tanks are underneath but are insulated and have heaters to stop them freezing when it's cold. The van is well insulated and we use it all the year round. It is very cosy in winter, especially with external Taylormade screens. I would be happy to take it somewhere really cold, but I gave up skiing some time ago!

19. Minxy Girl

I know chuck, I was just mentioning the one actually under the bed, as some garages have. :D

@jonandshell
    We've not camped long term in sub zero temperatures in ours but certainly had a few days like that earlier this year where although a bright sunny day the temperature was about -2 to -5 and even lower overnight, no problem whatsoever with our water tank and we don't have the heating on overnight either, actually we find we don't need to use it much at all as the van is so cosy.

20. Viennese

Viennese Funster

WildAxes are sometimes for sale - here's a few in Autotrader but I agree not many around - we hang on to them!!