Putting POIs on a Smart Phone Map (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you have a smart phone with GPS.. this may be useful..

An neat way to put POIs on your Smart phone is to use Google Maps..

On your PC open Google Maps, create a map or maps with the POIs that interest you.. that could be French Aires, CC Sites, LPG stations etc etc .. you can have all the POI sets on one map or use individual maps for each set.. save the map(s) .

On your phone, open Google maps (you must be signed in to Google) go to Layers , select My Maps , select the map.. and bingo,.. you have a map with your POIs.. you can then select a POI and get navigation instructions and guidance..

You could also plot a route and use the same way ..

I'm using Android but it should work with iPhone ..

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Never having used a smartphone in anger I may be wrong on this....

But doesn't using google maps limit you to needing a data connection?
If I set a load of POI's before I go to France. When I get there my data allowance will be hammered by roaming charges?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: Stop keep changing your avatar. I keep thinking a new person has joined with a similar name :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you have a smart phone with GPS.. this may be useful..

An neat way to put POIs on your Smart phone is to use Google Maps..

On your PC open Google Maps, create a map or maps with the POIs that interest you.. that could be French Aires, CC Sites, LPG stations etc etc .. you can have all the POI sets on one map or use individual maps for each set.. save the map(s) .

On your phone, open Google maps (you must be signed in to Google) go to Layers , select My Maps , select the map.. and bingo,.. you have a map with your POIs.. you can then select a POI and get navigation instructions and guidance..

You could also plot a route and use the same way ..

I'm using Android but it should work with iPhone ..

Where do you get them from

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When I go to my maps it says no my maps found, before that in layers all I have got is traffic,satellite, terrain, public transport lines, latitude, cycling and my maps

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Never having used a smartphone in anger I may be wrong on this....

But doesn't using google maps limit you to needing a data connection?
If I set a load of POI's before I go to France. When I get there my data allowance will be hammered by roaming charges?

yes.. that's true.. however, I'm still learning myself and no experience using Google maps on a smart phone abroad..

but I did find this.. apparently they can be used off line.. I haven't read this yet

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When I go to my maps it says[HI] no my maps found, [/HI]before that in layers all I have got is traffic,satellite, terrain, public transport lines, latitude, cycling and my maps

have you created any ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No that's why I am asking the question, what do you do

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Right I have a look at your link to aires , is that what I should have , somehow

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
as far as ive ever been able to work out, the my maps cant be used offline. You can download 'tiles' of maps for offline use, but POIs in my maps isn't saved locally

A nasty workaround is to save each of the pois, individually, as favourites on mobile Gmaps...but that would take ages and get very messy

I just use Copilot...and import TomTom pois...SOOOOO much easier...but not free...but then again neither is Gmap as it uses your data allowance

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No that's why I am asking the question, what do you do

Ok.. here is a short tutorial .. it shows how to create a map and add points of interest one at a time..

Link Removed

if you want to load a set of POIs, as above.. ^^ , click on Import and upload from you PC .. the POI set has to be in KML format

you can convert POIs using GPS Babel there are other programs, some on line.. try googling " convert poi"

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry jim, I think I'll stick one that's ready done, far to complicated for me:Doh:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like a lot of faffing sorry Jim. I will stick with TomTom and when I get my Galaxy Note 2 I will install it all on that...

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Sounds like a lot of faffing sorry Jim. I will stick with TomTom and when I get my Galaxy Note 2 I will install it all on that...

no faffing needed, .. it is actually very user friendly, and extremely good.. albeit you do need a data connection.. which may restrict usefulness outside the UK.

Another option is Navfree, all maps are free as is the app.. and it doesn't need/use a data connection.. so ideal for mainland Europe. It works extremely well.. but you can't add your own POIs

TT Android app reviews are not very good.. and it's not cheap at £35 for Western Europe..

All that said.. it's hard to beat a dedicated sat nav ... but I won't be rushing out to update my aging TT when I can have the latest maps free on Google.

Horses for courses.. whatever works for you .. Personalised Google maps on your phone is just another option that you MAY find useful.. not a replacement for anything.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah I have navfree, works well

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
no faffing needed, .. it is actually very user friendly, and extremely good.. albeit you do need a data connection.. which may restrict usefulness outside the UK.

Another option is Navfree, all maps are free as is the app.. and it doesn't need/use a data connection.. so ideal for mainland Europe. It works extremely well.. but you can't add your own POIs

TT Android app reviews are not very good.. and it's not cheap at £35 for Western Europe..

All that said.. it's hard to beat a dedicated sat nav ... but I won't be rushing out to update my aging TT when I can have the latest maps free on Google.

Horses for courses.. whatever works for you .. Personalised Google maps on your phone is just another option that you MAY find useful.. not a replacement for anything.

The faffing I meant was you need to be online to use it to its fullest capabilities. I love google maps however...

When I get my GN2, I will be looking to get rid of a bunch of technology out of my van. I love the TomTom I have so buying the Android App isn't much of a hardship. I would rather stick with the software I know and trust.
I will also be getting rid of my two iPods and Playbook. So in one fell swoop I will go from having to charge and maintain 5 devices down to 1 device.

I did look at NavFree but without being able to use all my TomTom POI files I would be taking a step back. I would rather spend a couple of quid and maintain my current capabilities. I am paying £420 for the GN2 so an extra 10% for software that will hopefully last me is not too much out of bounds.

You are correct though, one size doesn't fit all. The good thing about android is the level of choice we have :thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The faffing I meant was you need to be online to use it to its fullest capabilities. I love google maps however...

When I get my GN2, I will be looking to get rid of a bunch of technology out of my van. I love the TomTom I have so buying the Android App isn't much of a hardship. I would rather stick with the software I know and trust.
I will also be getting rid of my two iPods and Playbook. So in one fell swoop I will go from having to charge and maintain 5 devices down to 1 device.

[HI]I did look at NavFree but without being able to use all my TomTom POI files I would be taking a step back. [/HI] I would rather spend a couple of quid and maintain my current capabilities. I am paying £420 for the GN2 so an extra 10% for software that will hopefully last me is not too much out of bounds.

You are correct though, one size doesn't fit all. The good thing about android is the level of choice we have :thumb:

That was exactly what I thought.. which led me to look for a way of using my POIs with Google maps... and as I already have dozens made I was thrilled that it was so easy to use them on the phone.. with no faffing :roflmto:

When you get the GN2 try the Google map navigation before buying the TT app.. you may be pleasantly surprised.. I certainly was, I haven't used TT since.

Look forward to reading your review..

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Ok.. here is a short tutorial .. it shows how to create a map and add points of interest one at a time..

Link Removed

if you want to load a set of POIs, as above.. ^^ , click on Import and upload from you PC .. the POI set has to be in KML format

you can convert POIs using GPS Babel there are other programs, some on line.. try googling " convert poi"

It works for me ,i can plan a route on a large pc screen at home with all the Google benefits , save on the pc to my maps.

Find the Google link and download the up to date Google maps to your phone for a certain area-- i can only fit France in to mine unless i get a bigger card.

I then log on to Google maps account on my phone.
That now lets me navigate ,off line ,using all poi ect saved ,for free.

It would be the same as taking the map out of your sat nav ,streching the screen to 18" and plan all of one area on the screen and shrinking it back in to use it.:thumb:
It is faffing about ,but i like faffing about with gadgets:winky:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Co-Pilot does it for me

Hope the following is helpful...
I normally use Google maps.. But the data usage can be an issue...
I used to use Co pilot in its early days and I have used tom tom too. I preferred Co pilot but tom tom was better. Now several years later I have again got Co pilot..
I downloaded the western Europe version and have been checking out out.
It looks good.. Does that lane thing as you approach junctions.. Has speed cameras by default and also has an overspeed warning (good idea but not completely up to date). You can import tom tom poi files and create your own categories etc.
It also has an rv setting which allows a minimum height (think it's 3.something metres.. Cant remember exactly) and favours main roads.. No u turns..
All in all I really like it. It comes with one year free traffic which I have read is reliable and works quite well.
So apart from the traffic.. Which you can switch off.. No data on the move..

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Hope the following is helpful...
I normally use Google maps.. But the data usage can be an issue...
I used to use Co pilot in its early days and I have used tom tom too. I preferred Co pilot but tom tom was better. Now several years later I have again got Co pilot..
I downloaded the western Europe version and have been checking out out.
It looks good.. Does that lane thing as you approach junctions.. Has speed cameras by default and also has an overspeed warning (good idea but not completely up to date). You can import tom tom poi files and create your own categories etc.
It also has an rv setting which allows a minimum height (think it's 3.something metres.. Cant remember exactly) and favours main roads.. No u turns..
All in all I really like it. It comes with one year free traffic which I have read is reliable and works quite well.
So apart from the traffic.. Which you can switch off.. No data on the move..
Trying out co pilot on my android now and it seems great.-- I have a lot of POI saved on my useless Garmin(campsites ect) that are usefull when off to France.
How can i transfer the poi from a Garmin to a phone :Eeek:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Trying out co pilot on my android now and it seems great.-- I have a lot of POI saved on my useless Garmin(campsites ect) that are usefull when off to France.
[HI]How can i transfer the poi from a Garmin to a phone[/HI] :Eeek:

I have also purchased Copilot for my phone... and googled that very question yesterday ..

The POIs need to be in ov2 format .. Garmin are CSV format so they need to be converted to ov2

either use a POI converter or do it on-line here http://tomtom.gps-data-team.com/poi/csv2ov2.php

Connect the phone to your PC and copy the ov2 file and associated bitmap file to <SD>/copilot/save. Then when you open Copilot it will tell you it found it and you go through the process of setting it up.

if you need more guidance it is on this forum
http://www.gps-data-team.com/pda-gps-navigation/topic/4958.html

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back